Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
With a second kid on the way, I'm not turning down any work. Which sucks.

Sucks having a second kid on the way?

I'm so glad I don't even have the first one on the way. SO GLAD.

Sep 11, 2014 at 03:23 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

D. Diggler wrote:
Sucks having a second kid on the way?

I'm so glad I don't even have the first one on the way. SO GLAD.

Haha. Nah, it is awesome to have another kid. Of course, ask me again in about 6 weeks when I haven't slept in 72 hours. *sigh*

With that said, I was supposed to cap it at 20 weddings this year. I'm at 26 now. And while I'm holding up pretty well, I think I have one more year of a full time day job, a kid (or two), and 20+ weddings in me. Otherwise, something has gotta' give. My average work week is 70+ hours. I worked over 22 hours this past weekend along, just on Saturday and Sunday, and had work M-F last week, and have it M-F this week as well, plus a Tuesday evening session two days ago.

I'm spent.

But I gotta' make that money to pay the bills. Silicon Valley is expensive.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Haha. Nah, it is awesome to have another kid. Of course, ask me again in about 6 weeks when I haven't slept in 72 hours. *sigh*

With that said, I was supposed to cap it at 20 weddings this year. I'm at 26 now. And while I'm holding up pretty well, I think I have one more year of a full time day job, a kid (or two), and 20+ weddings in me. Otherwise, something has gotta' give. My average work week is 70+ hours. I worked over 22 hours this past weekend along, just on Saturday and Sunday, and had
...Show more

I have no idea how you do it. I am having trouble figuring out how 1kid + ~5-10 weddings + day job is going to work. I keep looking at you and JRMagat and a few others as a glimmer of hope.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

I'm sad I'm booked next weekend. two weddings and it's my middle schoolers first big field trip. They learn math through baseball so they're going out of state to watch a couple major league games and go hiking and such. I've already marked off the calendar for the big 2016, 21-day field trip to austrailia, New Zealand, and japan. (Insane, I know) But I might have to shoot 100 weddings to pay for it.

Sep 11, 2014 at 03:04 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

@Candace - That is NOT enough time! Shoot 200 and stay for 2 months.

Sep 11, 2014 at 04:17 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

SloPhoto wrote:
I have no idea how you do it. I am having trouble figuring out how 1kid + ~5-10 weddings + day job is going to work. I keep looking at you and JRMagat and a few others as a glimmer of hope.

There is no hope!

I made the jump from 10 weddings last year to 20 weddings this year (13 down, 7 to go!) but I am not going to lie, I am also pretty exhausted with the mon-fri job, wife + 2 kids, weddings/editing/etc. It really is a balancing act, and it is managable but you just have to know your own limit; I am looking to stay in the 20 wedding max for 2015 also. All of my friends and co-workers think i'm nuts btw

From the info Mike posts here, I am really impressed with his efficiency and short turn around time. I just do not have the energy to edit a full wedding on Sundays like him, where I'm on the 6 week end of my "6-8 week" delivery time. It isn't ideal, and I have some areas to improve on (stop dragging my feet to cull), but it's been working out so far and I haven't had any complaints.

So Joe, if we can do it... you can too! We just need to start up a support group for multi-job/overworked dads

Sep 11, 2014 at 04:25 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

ckhagen wrote:
I've already marked off the calendar for the big 2016, 21-day field trip to austrailia, New Zealand, and japan.

Geez. Must be private school.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

SloPhoto wrote:

Dude, if I knew, I'd teach a class. Most people who know me tell me that I'm crazy, but that they think I'm just built for it? The thing is, is I'm intense. Not like that obnoxious intense that you see in some people at a sports bar or something. (At least I hope not!) But when I'm working, I'm working. 100%. When I'm at home sitting on the floor playing Legos with my son, or cuddling with him in bed and singing to him - I'm there 100%. No half-assing anything. That's the only way to stay sane. Stay 100% invested in what you're doing right then and right there. Live in that moment, but plan for all the other moments. Weird balance, I'm sure.

The tough part is knowing that I say no to my family more than I say no to work. But my saying no to them now, and when I'm working, that means better potential for my wife to be a stay at home mom. And that's ultimately why I started this photography venture 5 years ago. To not achieve that goal, while making a lot of great moves in this industry, I would feel a little like a failure.

I never took myself as one to ever consider that I might suffer from depression or anxiety. But this year has been a first for many things, man. Stress got to me a few times, and I just about broke down. 3 hours of sleep some nights. Waking up in the middle of the night in a panic - "Did I mark down the right date on my calendar for their wedding? What if I'm late? What if my HD crashes?!" It happens. I think that some of those fear are natural, and keep me on my toes, so I kinda' embrace them.

Sorry for the novel. But clearly, I'm a lunatic. Hopefully I just go down as being remembered ass a lunatic who busted his as for his family, his clients, loved what he did, and had a little money to take his car to the track once in a while.

---------------------------------------------

JR Magat wrote:
There is no hope!

I made the jump from 10 weddings last year to 20 weddings this year (13 down, 7 to go!) but I am not going to lie, I am also pretty exhausted with the mon-fri job, wife + 2 kids, weddings/editing/etc. It really is a balancing act, and it is managable but you just have to know your own limit; I am looking to stay in the 20 wedding max for 2015 also. All of my friends and co-workers think i'm nuts btw

From the info Mike posts here, I am really impressed with his efficiency
...Show more

JR knows what's up. It is entirely a balancing act.

My editing is an effect where the cause is necessity. If I don't turn that wedding around Sunday, then I go back to work Monday with pending edits. I lose time during the week to take on meetings and sessions, but more importantly I lose time after work to see my son, hang out with my wife, cook, clean, do laundry, and generally spend time with those I love. And I refuse to give up my Tuesday cigar night with my best friend. That ain't happening.

Ultimately, I trained myself to move quickly. Sometimes I get distracted (stupid BookFace or funny videos on Reddit), but I try to keep myself as a machine - an assembly line - when it comes to culling and initial edits. Once I get to the image-by-image edits, I slow down a bit and make sure to use a careful eye. And that's where I relax a bit. But I still move as quickly as possible.

Having never been in the military, I have to liken what I've done to military training. Analyze why I'm slow and laggy. Make adjustments. Tell myself, "This is what I'm going to do, and this is how I'm going to do it." Deviation from the plan throws a wrench in my editing times. And If I can edit a wedding in 5 hours instead of 9, that gives me 2 hours with my son, 1 hour for housework, and 1 hour for a nap that I most definitely deserve, and otherwise wouldn't have gotten. :-)

--

The worst part about working so much, is that I can't work more. And what I mean by that is, I could take on mid-week San Francisco elopements or City Hall weddings. I could take on more family sessions and newborn/infant sessions. And I would LOVE to do a birth story. I've never gotten to do one, and I just can't call in to my day job and tell them, I'm at the hospital with a mom and dad and their new baby, and I can't come in today." My day job is stifling my ability to make more money being self employed. And that's a bummer.

Hopefully, one day, by quitting my day job, my gross profits and take-home income will increase. AND my joy will increase, I'll have time for physical activity like working out, running, and riding my bike again. And most importantly, I won't be constantly kissing my wife and kid(s) and rushing off from one place to another.

On the bright side - I have a mortgage, a very, very small retirement account, a brand new remodeled kitchen, we have food on the table, and clothes on our backs. And I get to work in one of the best industries I've ever worked in. The plus sides far outweigh the downsides.

Again, sorry for the novel.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
On the bright side - I have a mortgage, a very, very small retirement account, a brand new remodeled kitchen, we have food on the table, and clothes on our backs. And I get to work in one of the best industries I've ever worked in. The plus sides far outweigh the downsides.

Amen to that. Not always easy to do out where we are. Gotta be thankfull.

As to the rest of what you and JR posted. Looks like I am hosed .

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

SloPhoto wrote:
Amen to that. Not always easy to do out where we are. Gotta be thankfull.

As to the rest of what you and JR posted. Looks like I am hosed .

Not hosed at all, man. Your work is really, really well done. You're good at your craft. But it takes time to buckle down on editing, and being willing to book more weddings. It's not always easy, but it can be done.

Just need to solve, in my mind, the equation of how to make it all work, how to balance family and personal life, and if you want to run that marathon/sprint. Because it is both a marathon, and a sprint.

Sep 15, 2014 at 01:14 PM
kessyud

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · ever wished you were not booked on a date?

joosay wrote:
Yes, on my birthday.

I get that. I booked a wedding for next June, right on my 30th birthday. Not ideal, but sometimes you feel desperate like you'll never book another wedding if you don't take this one right in front of you.

Sep 15, 2014 at 09:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.