FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

kylyo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

Hi Everyone,

Just a casual lurker here, appreciate all you regular contributors. I have my first wedding where the bride is what I would consider significantly taller than the groom. From a bit of facebook stalking, which is all I could do at this point, with heals I am guessing she'll be 5" taller or so.

If anyone has a blog post they could link showing some good poses for a taller bride with a shorter groom, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Kyle

***Edit: Just to add. The couple is very laid back and easy to work with. They did not request anything specific regarding this, I just thought I would be a little pro-active.

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:24 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

I shot one wedding like this and there was no issue. They know she is taller, and they just interacted normally.

You want to take images that years later the kids will be asking........what happened to dad, did he shrink?

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:29 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

If they're laid back then roll with it. No need for special poses. Had a wedding like this 2 years ago. She wore flats instead of heels but was still slightly taller than the groom. No big deal.

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:46 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

I think it will matter more about how they interact more than the height difference. Have them sit, laying down, stairs, whatever. It can be done without making it look like the groom is towering in contrast.

I've always found far more difficult when the groom has had a more feminine way of posing compared to the bride. That is hard because I'm trying not to say "MAN UP, GRAB HER LIKE SHE'S YOURS"

Sep 08, 2014 at 03:09 PM
kylyo

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sep 08, 2014 at 03:15 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

Just don't try to have the bride rest her head on his shoulder/chest.

Sep 08, 2014 at 03:32 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

Make him pose like the woman.

Just kidding. They are certainly aware of their height difference and if they are okay with it, you should be too. Good seated poses would be helpful, and if you are okay at doing some more "editorial" looking poses you could always stick him in the foreground and have her back a bit and use perspective to toy with the composition a bit. But other than portraits, I'd say the rest of the day just approach it like any other wedding.

Sep 08, 2014 at 06:18 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

One thing you can do for mid-length or tighter shots is a simple tilt to obscure the height difference somewhat.

Sep 08, 2014 at 07:37 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

It is OK to see the bride is taller than the groom. It is the truth, right?

You may let them sit and the difference will be smaller. Or let the bride lay on groom's arms. That's what I did with their engagement session:
http://www.bayphoto.net/Blog/wedding/sn-santa-cruz-beach-boardwalk-engagement/

During the wedding, because there were lots of people around when they did the first look. I was more conservative on the posing:
http://www.bayphoto.net/Blog/wedding/sn-scotts-seafood-restaurant-wedding/

The bride and groom were still very happy about the photos.

Sep 08, 2014 at 07:44 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

Shot one where the bride would crouch down a bit so he can appear taller. Felt a bit awkward for her to do that / feel the need to have to do that...

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:14 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help Please. Bride Taller Than Groom

Sitting poses are great, and it's pretty likely that the bride will wear flats. I've had a few weddings like this, but the brides always wore flats and it evened out pretty nicely.

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.