New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Noctifer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going pro, minimum requirements

So the other day I joined a much more experienced photographer on a shoot, and he must have had 10K of gear just on him. He tends to generally shoot nudes, and then submits them for pickup / publication to various sites or magazines (I'm still trying to pick his brain on just where he does it, since he seems to get good payouts, though I don't think this is the right site to check on that). He mentioned a bit about how the sites / magazines have minimum requirements for what they expect to receive in general (I'm still researching that, or will be once I hear more about where he goes), and he mentioned how his camera shoots full-frame, goes down to 1.6, he's got the battery-packs to shoot faster, etc etc.

I'm shooting a Nikon 7100... is that actually good enough for professional photography, or is it basically an advanced amateur one? Do I need to hold off on going into that field until my equipment gets supped up (and if so what do I need to get for entry intro pro)? I just want to know before I waste a model's time with no chance that we'll have any profits we could split (though it would be nice to start recovering some of my costs so far into lighting equipment and the like)

Also, any suggestions on backdrop stands and materials that won't break in a week and will look good? (Or would you stay away from that for shoots)?

Sep 08, 2014 at 11:59 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going pro, minimum requirements

a real business plan

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Learn how to use what you have so you know what you need to buy first. Practice, practice, practice. Your camera is fine to learn on. Once you know what is going on then you should start thinking about buying additional gear. Not before. Anything you buy now will be a waste until you know what you really need for the goals you have set. If anything start with with 50 1.8 lens, an 8 foot light stand, a cheap flash and trigger, plus umbrella. You can probably get all that for $250 or less. After you have done 25 shoots or more then start thinking about how your gear is limiting you. I doubt you know the limitations of your gear now. Because of that you won't know the advantages of a $2000 purchase.

Don't expect profit for a while. And there are tons of people who like to play at modeling on the weekends who can be subjects. Have fun.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going pro, minimum requirements

I shoot weddings with a pair of D7100 and f2.8 zooms, plus a very robust lighting system. Your going to find that lighting is the most important thing, lenses are next, and cameras are the least important thing for most kinds of photography. Ten thousand bucks doesn't sound like very much money tied up in camera gear for a full time pro to me. I would think he'd have to have at least $3K in lighting alone.

What you really need for this is to really, really, REALLY understand light and how to use it.

Kent in SD

Sep 08, 2014 at 05:31 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going pro, minimum requirements

The D7100 will be fine for anything but the most competitive of fields, or the highest rank of fields. You'll know when the D7100 is no longer enough, and it'll be when you've made 50 grand* from your photography already.

*Or some decent number.

Sep 08, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Going pro, minimum requirements

I don't think there is really a minimum entry to 'going pro'. Pro, to me at least, simply infers you make the majority of your income from photography. Your entrance criteria depend on what you shoot, be it modelling, weddings, sport etc., For the first two you start small, submit to mags, do portfolios for models, maybe talk to a wedding pro and get a assistant gig. Sports demand special access so pretty much it's who you know or who you shoot for. I used to have FIA Motorsport credentials and on numerous times in the media pit at the end of the main straight at Silverstone Formula 1 I would be shooting alongside someone with a little G10. Practice, practice, practice a and get your images out there.

Edited on Sep 08, 2014 at 06:22 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2014 at 06:20 PM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Oh, I almost forgot. Pro really isn't about the gear. You use what you need to get the job done.

Sep 08, 2014 at 06:20 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Alistair Watson wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot. Pro really isn't about the gear. You use what you need to get the job done.

But various magazine require a minimum standard as far as the image goes. Not every camera will meet this standard. The same goes with some stock agencies.

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:05 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Going pro, minimum requirements

sjms wrote:
a real business plan

+1

Your post kind of reads like "What bait do I use to make models get naked in front of me".

Sep 09, 2014 at 11:17 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Don't quit your day job. In addtion, make sure you have backup equipment for everything. Post some of your work on a few stock sites and see how much you get paid. As others have advised, it's not the equipment but the talent and how you use your stuff. Photo credits only show your name/studio and not the equipment you use. Good luck.

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:09 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Going pro, minimum requirements

yes the world is full of gear heavy clowns with dubious talent

Sep 09, 2014 at 05:42 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Going pro, minimum requirements

I shoot a lot of sports with an ancient Nikon D200 and news with a Leica M9. Invest in lighting, and the latest high ISO bodies become irrelevant.

One thing that I see rarely discussed or given and honest accounting is the time you must invest. There are so many hats that you have to wear.

A business plan is a must.

A supportive spouse even more so...

Good luck!

Sep 09, 2014 at 09:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Going pro, minimum requirements

fstopperdown wrote:
I shoot a lot of sports with an ancient Nikon D200 and news with a Leica M9. Invest in lighting, and the latest high ISO bodies become irrelevant.

There is truth in that - skilled lighting can make any sensor and lens really come alive.

Sep 09, 2014 at 10:47 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Not saying the D200 is ideal, but I would bet a steak dinner that given the D4 and D200 that Peter Hurley (pick one) could make the same image and none of us would know.

You could always rent a premium Nikon body for about $100 to $250 per job depending on the body.

I would think your lens and lighting equipment should last you most of your career.

I think you could start easily with $10K+/-
Computer .. $2K
Lighting... $2.5K
Lens... 24-70, 80-200, 50mm, 85mm $3k
bodies... used D700... $1.25K

Sep 10, 2014 at 06:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Going pro, minimum requirements

you're lucky i don't really do steak or i would take you up on that one.

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:25 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Going pro, minimum requirements

By the time you are ready to "go pro" you should be able to know what you need to do the job at hand. It sounds like you need a lot more time assisting and getting some knowledge and experience. I'm sure there are editors etc. that have minimum requirements for the images, but that would be on a case by case basis and I would think most of them would just accept images based on the quality of the art in the image versus what equipment it was captured with. I wouldn't go try to be a formula 1 driver after watching a couple races.

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:38 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Ah the good old conversation of what gear do I need to tell people I'm a pro.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Going pro, minimum requirements

I just send them an invoice.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Going pro, minimum requirements

Talent and business plan. Seriously most photographers either fail or leave most of the money on the table because they're not business minded. It is better for a business person to take up photography and go in to business than the other way around. You need to be business oriented that photography oriented to succeed. Not that many photog shave made it but it was harder for them.

I might not get this totally right but before going in to any business the owner needs to to do several things no matter what the product or service is.

First is do a market anayallis of the area to see if there is a need or vacancy for the product or service. Once that is done another survey or anayallis need to be done on the existing product or service market in that area and the effect of add your plan to the market.

You also need several plans, a startup plan that carries thru the first year, a five year plan , and a twenty year plan.

Next to need to follow those plans with adjustments for adjustments in the market. The five and twenty year plan need updating after the first year. Then after five a new fiver year plan is needed and the twenty year plan needs updated. That goes on every five years to adjust for the market.

You need to know the costs of each of you competitions products and services so you can see if you prices are in line with the market You may be charging too much here and not enough there and that can affect sale. There are several good formulas for calculating what to charge for photo products and services. They take in effect the a mount of your costs, the annual salary you wish to earn, overhead, etc. please do your research. Now days they are plenty od photo business web partners that help with booking a nad other aspects of he business day to day stuff. Some even host you albums for you. O course they take a percentage of all sales. There is an old program or app as they're called today that walks you though the business of photography called photo byte it would be good to learn and use as it has form letters for you normal correspondence and internal work docs like call sheets waivers and such. I'm not associated with it but it's free or has been. It is dated as it uses form maker Iirc.

Good luck

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Going pro, minimum requirements

fstopperdown wrote:
Not saying the D200 is ideal, but I would bet a steak dinner that given the D4 and D200 that Peter Hurley (pick one) could make the same image and none of us would know.

His style is minimalist so why not? Plus under his brand is a group of photogs shooting images with roughly the same feel.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:53 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.