New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · "Quote" for dummies?

Sy Sez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Quote" for dummies?

I tried using the "Quote' function on this forum, for the first time, & encountering "problems:

In the post I wish to acquire a "quote", weather I hi-lite the words I wish to quote, or not, the entire past shows up in the "Quote Message" Window.

So, in the Quote Message window, I "Cut" all but the words that I wish to quote, but leave the "Quote Link" intact.

When I ad my comment/s, & click "Send Reply", the "Quote" does not appear in red, nor does it designate a quote with the Prefix, "Name" Wrote:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, & the FAQ,s on Posting make no mention of using the Quote function.

Leigh

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:16 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Quote" for dummies?

Sy Sez wrote:
I tried using the "Quote' function on this forum, for the first time, & encountering "problems:

In the post I wish to acquire a "quote", weather I hi-lite the words I wish to quote, or not, the entire past shows up in the "Quote Message" Window.

So, in the Quote Message window, I "Cut" all but the words that I wish to quote, but leave the "Quote Link" intact.

When I ad my comment/s, & click "Send Reply", the "Quote" does not appear in red, nor does it designate a quote with the Prefix, "Name" Wrote:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, &
...Show more

Hi Leigh,

Perhaps I can help. The only way to trim down a quoted post is in the reply window itself. Selecting the portion of the post prior to hitting quote isn't recognised by the forum software and therefore doesn't have any effect. Here's what you need to do:

1. Hit quote on the thread you'd like to quote.

2. A reply window will appear, pre-filled with the full post.

3. Delete any quoted sections you do not want, but leave the opening and closing "quote" tags, which are enclosed by square brackets intact.

Hope that helps.

Sep 08, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Quote" for dummies?

Thanks Tony,

When I tried the method utilizing (3); I apparently deleted the "Opening" Quote tag.

Leigh

Sep 08, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Quote" for dummies?

or copy / paste anything you want to appear as a quote between

[ quote ] ............................. [/ quote ]

( I added spaces to show the actual items )

if you want to delete stuff in the quote box make sure it still starts with the [ quote ] and ends with [ / quote ]

Sep 08, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Quote" for dummies?

Yeah, join the club! I'm new here & messed this up on my first quote reply! My text was displaying in the orange color till I figured out that I deleted one of the quote tags.
Dave

Edited on Sep 08, 2014 at 02:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Quote" for dummies?

Photonadave wrote:
Yeah, join the club! I'm new here too & messed this up on my first quote reply! My text was displaying in the orange color till I figured out that I deleted one of the quote tags.
Dave

i think we all still do it

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Quote" for dummies?

Then there was the great emoticon fiasco of 72!

Since the & other important emoticons hadn't been invented yet I foolishly did a real " " triggering an instant real world " " ! I didn't fast enough to escape a rather firm & not so virtual ! This caused me to and everyone else to , and at my expense! I was so then on I would remain in similar situations since I'm a slow . Now-a-days I can do virtual " s " & " s " all I want & don't have to worry about the virtual " " , only the not so virtual ones!

The marvels of modern technology! Life as good!
Dave

Edited on Sep 09, 2014 at 09:22 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:07 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Quote" for dummies?

Why are you taking about this here?

Sep 08, 2014 at 03:48 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Quote" for dummies?

Jeffrey wrote:

dunno

Sep 08, 2014 at 04:06 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Quote" for dummies?

Jeffrey wrote:

While we're on the topic of correctness, there's a silent "L" in "talking", Jeffrey.

Sep 08, 2014 at 05:10 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Quote" for dummies?

Is the "L" really silent? We should really talk about this!

Sep 09, 2014 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.