FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

Brody LeBlanc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

Hey guys,

Some of you might know me from my submissions to the RX1 thread or the Fuji X threads.

I've been shooting with my RX1 for about a year now and as much as I love it, I know it does have some weaknesses.
Mainly, sloppy auto focus and an unintuitive menu layout have left me frustruated at times.
That being said, I can barely pick up the camera and snap a few shots with marveling at the image quality and the construction quality of the camera. Aside from the EVF (that thing sucks compared to how well built the camera body is.)

So long story short, I'm torn by a trade I've been offered.

A local photographer is offering me his (brand new) a6000 w/ the standard kit lens, the 55-210mm, and his 24mm f1.8.

My main concern is: will the a6000's sensor combined with the 24mm f1.8 leave me feeling like I am missing something I was getting with me RX1? I mean, lets be honest, the RX1 seems to ooze magic at f2 in the right conditions.

I even snapped a few shots this morning and couldn't help but be impressed. That being said, the auto focus is still lazy and can really flop in many conditions.

That being said, the RX1's are dropping in value fast and am scared this might be the best deal I can get.

So fellow FM'ers, what do you think? Do I trade up to slightly newer gear and move on until I can afford a A7 (or something similar) or do I keep my RX1 and watch the value continue to plummet.

Also, can someone clear up one thing for me.... can the 24mm f1.8 be used on the Sony full frame options?

Hope to hear some solid opinions!

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:40 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

My impression is that the RX1 is still worth considerably more than the kit you were offered, partly because the 24/1.8 doesn't cover 24x36mm sensors and so it has dropped in value considerably since the A7 series was released. You should take a look at current used prices, though, because I could be very wrong.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any camera, short of medium format, that won't leave you with the feeling that you're missing something that the RX1 could offer. That lens/sensor combination has enough special to it that I seriously think the future of high-end, small-package imaging is with integrated units rather than interchangeable lenses.

However, it doesn't matter how good the best possible image quality is when you're missing important shots due to other factors, like misfocusing. My recommendation is to take some time to try to re-create the focus problems you've experienced so that you better understand what the camera is trying to do--or when the camera is failing to do what you want it to--so that you can better manipulate it when the image matters. If that doesn't provide sufficient results, you might be happier working with a system known for good autofocus (which tends to mean smaller sensors or larger cameras) than the RX1.

Just my $0.02, but I hope it helps. Cheers,

Jon

Sep 08, 2014 at 09:13 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

When I look at the A6000 picture thread, I see nice shots but not a lot of "magic". On the other hand, in the RX1 picture thread there is plenty of magic from various photographers. My thought would be to keep your RX1 and add another camera. Maybe Sony, maybe Fuji. No hurry.

Sep 08, 2014 at 09:37 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

Not being a Sony expert, I don't know the answer offhand, but would check whether the 24/1.8 will AF with the a6000's phase detect AF sensors. IIRC, not all of the Sony/Zeiss lenses will. If it doesn't, then the question is how much quicker and more certain will its AF be than the RX1?

My inclination would be to stay with the RX1. Its lens is amazing and the reason to own the camera. Maybe Derek (sebboh) can chime in on how he manages to manually focus it, IIRC, with good results.

If an a7 is where you want to be going, I don't see how the a6000 kit gets you closer, as you'll probably end up reselling again for lenses that will give full frame coverage. While RX1 used prices may be dropping, the same can be said for the a7...

Sep 08, 2014 at 09:50 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
My main concern is: will the a6000's sensor combined with the 24mm f1.8 leave me feeling like I am missing something I was getting with me RX1?

yes.

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
Also, can someone clear up one thing for me.... can the 24mm f1.8 be used on the Sony full frame options?

yes, but it won't cover the FF image circle.

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

sebboh has spoken. decision made.

EDIT: but really though, I think I'll keep the RX1 and save up for a NEX camera w/ a 50mm (f1.2 or f1.4) prime adapted on it.
Really that's more of what I want to go with my RX1.

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:15 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

If the guy is local, I'm sure he'd let you put a card in, and try a few shots with it before you decide to trade or not.

I think that combo could have a little more value than the RX1, but not by too much.

A6000 is a pretty nice camera, but I personally hated the handling of it compared to the A7.

If an A7 is what you really want, I think you'd be better off selling your RX1, which you could probably get $1500 for, and buying a used A7, which you can pick up for $1000, and a 35/f2.8 FE which you can get for around $500.

Then you've got the FF camera you really want, with a better EVF and much nicer ergonomics (dedicated dials) than the A6000.

However, still won't be the same as the RX1, good, yet different.

I went back to the RX1, (2nd time, due to a great deal) and sold my A7 kit, because the really is something special about the RX1 and that Sonnar.

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:23 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

Someone on dpreview did a comparison between the 24mm f/1.8 (on an NEX-7) and RX1. Not the best photos to judge but a start: link

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:32 AM
McGrattan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
and save up for a NEX camera w/ a 50mm (f1.2 or f1.4) prime adapted on it.

Do you print big? If not, have you tried experimenting with the RX1's crop feature?

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:02 PM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

I really can't relate what my RX1 is worth to me, with the amount I could sell it for. With this camera I can do so many things so damn much better than I ever could before with any other camera, that I couldn't consider parting with it. Even if something else comes along that I find myself lusting after, selling or trading my RX1 is unlikely to be an option I would be willing to consider. It's a keeper.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:06 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

I would think you woulf regret that deal on an IQ basis. I agree you should keep it if possible and add another camera to cover other focal lengths and/or those times you need better AF

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:13 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

Don't forget about the fast flash sync from the leaf shutter as well. It means a little pop-up flash can actually provide some nice fill light even in bright sunlight.

A6000 has a rather slow 1/160th, so your going to be stopping way down, and then probably not having enough flash power for much fill anyways.

RX1 is great at high iso of course, so many people may not use the flash much, but with a leaf shutter, it becomes a really handy tool, just like the Fuji X100. That little touch of flash to help fill in under the brim of a hat etc balanced with daylight is really handy

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:39 PM
andreas612
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

galenapass wrote:
When I look at the A6000 picture thread, I see nice shots but not a lot of "magic". On the other hand, in the RX1 picture thread there is plenty of magic from various photographers. My thought would be to keep your RX1 and add another camera. Maybe Sony, maybe Fuji. No hurry.

Indeed, we all know that the gear is responsible for magic photos!

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:30 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

in all seriousness i was considering selling my rx1 since i can't really shoot these days and buying another one at a lower price sometime post photokina when i can actually use it. selling stuff is a pain though.

hopefully (but i doubt it) sony will release a new version soon with faster AF and a pop up evf, then used rx1s will take a price dive.

galenapass wrote:

andreas612 wrote:

"magic" is a lot shorter and more fun to write than "the lens does stuff no other lens can do."

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

rscheffler wrote:
Maybe Derek (sebboh) can chime in on how he manages to manually focus it, IIRC, with good results.

no special tricks, the same way i focus manually on an a7 (mostly evf with no magnification or peaking, i boost sharpen in the jpeg settings so their is a moire pattern on the screen when something pops into focus). the problem is that focus by wire sucks so it's nearly impossible just turn the ring once, you usually have to tweak it back and forth to nail focus, which is aggravating when you're trying to shoot people moving about.

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:47 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

andreas612 wrote:

My iPhone 5 and my RX1 have a pretty similar FoV but they give a pretty different overall look to shooting the same scene.

I wouldn't say one style is always going to be "better" but they are certainly different, and those differences can subjectively have elements some people prefer.

the RX1 has a pretty wide dynamic range and the files stand up to a lost of post processing. The Sonnar lens also has a really nice way of rendering the scene, unmatched among 35's I've owned.

Does that "magically" turn a poor shot into a great shot ?

No, but it can elevate a good shot into a subjectively great shot, assuming one enjoys the way the lens renders focus transitions etc.

Your obviously not one who cares about those type of things, and that is fine, but it shouldn't diminish the enjoy and "magic" other people may find in a particular lens/sensor combo

Sep 08, 2014 at 03:12 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

andreas612 wrote:

Oh stop it. Instead of rolling your eyes perhaps you should "roll the dice" and rent an RX1? Then maybe you will realize the magic that I speak of. The RX1 lens + sensor produces shots with a look to them that is obvious to me - even with downsized photographs posted on the web. The same could also be said for Sigma DPxM, GR and Fuji cameras. Each produces unique output that is very pleasing to the eye (all subjective of course). I don't see that in the A6000 thread...but if you do that's fine.

I am not saying the gear makes the photograph, but, in some cases it sure can help.

Edited on Sep 08, 2014 at 04:35 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2014 at 03:24 PM
newone757
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

I'm sorry but that would be the worse trade ever IMO.

You said wait until you can afford an a7 but you'd get a much better kit trying to trade your rx1 for an a7 and fe35 than the a6000 and 24 IMO. I would keep the rx 1 though

Sep 08, 2014 at 03:53 PM
andreas612
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

galenapass wrote:
Oh stop it. Instead of rolling your eyes perhaps you should "roll the dice" and rent an RX1? Then maybe you will realize the magic that I speak of. The RX1 lens + sensor produces shots with a look to them that is obvious to me - even with downsized photographs posted on the web. The same could also be said for Sigma DPxM, GR and Fuji cameras. Each produces unique output that is very pleasing to the eye (all subjective of course). I don't see that in the A6000 thread...but if you do that's fine.

I am not
...Show more

I've shot with one, it is indeed a great camera, although not suitable for my needs. Try to look up some random photos at 500px or flickr and try to guess the camera set up. I'm pretty confident that you can't tell the difference 9/10 times (believe me, I tried to justify an A7 over an x100s, I didn't succeed). It's all about how skilled you are as a photographer. The only thing I could say about the rx1 thread looking better than the A6000's is that the rx1 is more of a 'pro camera'. Let's assume that those people are more advanced in photography regarding composition/lighting skills etc, while the A6000 is more or less an entry level consumer camera (which comes with entry level of knowledge regarding those same aspects of photography). So in general it could be explained why the rx1 thread looks better than the A6000 at times. But what if they would swap camera's?, I guess we both won't know. Although I have a feeling

Here is a smiley for you so you won't be mad at me

Sep 08, 2014 at 04:46 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony RX1 vs Sony a6000 & 24mm f1.8

We're straying a little OT here but still at least talking the same cameras as the OP.

I have a high regard for folks that post pics here regardless of the camera being used. As such, I tend to believe that the talent pool is roughly the same between the RX1 thread and the A6000 thread. But, I do have another possible explanation. I am not sure that there are many lenses that can match the RX1 Sonnar. So, the A6000, being an interchangeable lens camera, starts off at a disadvantage in that of the many lenses available, few photographers are going to have anything to match the Sonnar and many choices simply will not. That does not even get into sensor considerations.

Smiley back at you.

Sep 08, 2014 at 05:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.