New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · actor headshots

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · actor headshots

Part of a three-hour session, the first two headshots are quite similar and one must be tossed. I'm having trouble deciding. These were part of the "dramatic" series (contrasty lighting, more expressions). The "commercial" series is more boring (for me), but serves a professional requirement, so I added one of those. C&C welcome!

Sep 07, 2014 at 09:21 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · actor headshots

The third one is by far the best. The others do not give a sense of dramatic lighting at all. The second one has a VERY distracting shadow on the side of his nose and there appears to be a kicker that is giving a criss cross shadow on his neck. I'm not sure what your intents are for these images, but the flat backdrop doesn't help with the drama. Perhaps a very light grid spot or gradient of color. I also think you should raise your lights up a tad but that's just my opinion.

Sep 08, 2014 at 07:47 AM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · actor headshots

I think the shadows on the first two are to harsh and distracting. They tend to make the images look too artificially lit. Crop #3 as a head shot and you have a winner.

Sep 08, 2014 at 07:51 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · actor headshots

3>>1>>>>>2

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:03 AM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · actor headshots

I would not encourage an actor to use any of these as their head-shot. Head-shots are like calling cards. They need to transmit a lot of essential information. These photos don't tell me anything special about this actor. I do a ton of head-shots and got my start by looking at what the best in the business produce and then tried to match it.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:42 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · actor headshots

Lighting on the third is the best. Of the first two, the first is better for me.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · actor headshots

no....lights too harsh. poses are not flattering.

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:16 PM
slookx24
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · actor headshots

#3 is definitely the best, and that is only because #1 and #2 are so underwhelming..

Sep 08, 2014 at 02:14 PM
renfield33
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · actor headshots

first is much better than second. third is the best overall

Sep 08, 2014 at 05:57 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · actor headshots

Dang, tough crowd. Thanks for the feedback, I take it to heart. In answer to Eric, yes, the cross-lighting was not supposed to happen: the accent was snooted and aimed to avoid that situation, but my talent leaned backward and the light spilled forward. Pity because I like the expression (will see what I can improve in post). Since softer (commercial) light is preferred in these parts, here is another from that series. Casual street attire requested:

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:15 PM
tonyboy31

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · actor headshots

Good shots

Sep 09, 2014 at 01:16 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · actor headshots

The verdict on 1 & #2 is already in. No need to repeat.

#3 has the high camera angle as one disadvantage, but the main problem I see is the eyes. They need to come alive more for this important photo.

#4 has the sparkle in the eyes that is missing from #3.

Sep 09, 2014 at 01:39 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · actor headshots

elliotkramer wrote:
I would not encourage an actor to use any of these as their head-shot. Head-shots are like calling cards. They need to transmit a lot of essential information. These photos don't tell me anything special about this actor. I do a ton of head-shots and got my start by looking at what the best in the business produce and then tried to match it.

+1

Sorry for the effort, but as shots to induce any kind of interest from eg a casting director these shots just won't do. Yes, sharp, lighting is OK, but apart from being a headshot there's IMO not very much else for the casual onlooker.

Based on my experiences as a fashion photographer with magazines and modeling agencies, I can say that, based on having participated in that proces myself, headshots (and model portfolios) are not studied on for hours. They are usually flipped through very fast by casting directors, agents and the likes who receive them literally by the dozens each day.

And therefor need to have something extra to to grab some kind of attention to stand out of the crowd. Be it by having the 'signature' look of a certain photographer who may be in vogue at that moment, a special or appealing 'look', or personal charisma or whatever X faxtor of the actor/model to get more then a superficial glance.

Have a look at this guys work http://www.headshot-photography.com/
Don't know if he's still at the top these days, but his work somewhere around 2006 I think featured on the "Human Face", a TLC - Discovery Channel show, I guess for at that time being among the best.

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:22 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · actor headshots

The requirements for fashion headshots can be quite different from those of an actor's headshot.

I'm seeing a trend in very shallow DoF headshots where the viewer is still left a little bemused as to what the person really looks like. All very creative, and I'm sure the photographer is excited about f1.8 but the purpose of the headshot for actors is very clear cut and almost boring.

For models and fashion, different rules may apply...

But an actors headshot should show what the actor looks like - clearly an accurately. For me, some of the examples in the link provided by the previous poster miss the mark as to what a casting agent may be looking for.

The part is already decided, the character is probably already created... now just to find an actor to fit that role. How frustrating to wade through shots with a highly stylised look, which can sometimes outweigh the actor's "look."

An actor's headshot shouldn't look like it's been retouched and unless there is opportunity to show several headshots it can be risky to show a particularly strong themed feel. (Unless the character part is known and there's an image which can help sell the actor in that part.)

The thing that will separate a headshot from the rest is (alas) having a really good, clear headshot. I say alas because too often headshots are lower quality than they should be.

I tell subjects it's all in the eyes. Engage the director with the eyes and you're half way there.

Sep 09, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · actor headshots

leethecam wrote:
The requirements for fashion headshots can be quite different from those of an actor's headshot
For models and fashion, different rules may apply...

totally agree, that's why I posted a link to a highly reputed and proven headshot photographer, rather then just merely giving my personal opinion (even if I have apart from my fashion works done my fair bit of headshots of aspiring actors, and for corporate clients like eg Monster Netherlands/Nothern Europe and Houthof Buruma attorneys at law)

I tell subjects it's all in the eyes. Engage the director with the eyes and you're half way there.

This is what Kevin Howard has to say about that
http://www.headshot-photography.com/photographer.htm

Kevyn believes that the eyes are the window to the soul. His headshots capture a look, a glance, a nuance that brings a two dimensional image to life. A headshot that focuses on your eyes tells your story to casting directors. ........

About the Photographer's Style
In a Kevyn Major Howard headshot, your eyes are the key. When viewing Kevyn's work you will experience the deliberate preciseness of how accurate and illuminating the eyes are in every shot. They are the key to anyone's success. The eyes are absolutely the expression of the actor's personality and charisma.

So he appears to have found that out already long time ago

Sep 09, 2014 at 01:01 PM
John Tran
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · actor headshots

I like the last one.

Sep 18, 2014 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.