New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fuji astrophotography

FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji astrophotography

hey folks

I've been recently trying out the Fuji X-E1 and 23mm for backpacking/lightweight landscape/astro photography purposes. Really like the lightweight part so far
I ran into some frustrations with the X-E1 and 23mm for astrophotography, so I have some questions

- How do you achieve critical focus? With Canon system, I would AF on the moon at dusk, then tape the focus ring down. That doesn't seem to work on the 23mm. The LCD on the X-E1 doesn't zoom in quite far enough to really tell if the stars are in focus or blurry
- Does the LCD zoom capability get better with the X-T1?
- Has anyone tried the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f2.0? That sounds especially appealing for wide-angle astro work.
- What do you use for fuji astro photography? If you have other lightweight suggestions, I'm open. I have a 6D and 16-35 2.8 as well, but that gets heavy for long backpacking trips.

And, a sample from last weekend

Sep 07, 2014 at 08:56 PM
mourningshadow
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji astrophotography

I used the X-T1 and the fuji 14 2.8 for most of my astrophotography. For manual focus I would usually start before the sun went down and focus on the clouds. Not sure about the 23 but I know with the 14 you pull the focus ring out to manually focus and it stays where you leave it so I never had an issue with that.

I really like the X-T1 but I am now using the Sony A7s for the ISO performance and being able to actually see everything to focus and frame by bumping it to 409k ISO then locking it in and setting it lower.

Can't speak to the Rokinon 12 2.0 as I have not used it but I will say the Rokinon 14 2.8 is fantastic on the A7s. If the 12 is as good I would say it might be the perfect astrophotography lens for the Fuji system.

Sep 07, 2014 at 10:27 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji astrophotography

Here's a review I read a while ago about that lens-- which called it the best astro lens for the Fuji system.

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-ncs-cs-review/

I plan on picking one up sometime, because it's a pretty fantastic focal length and aperture (and size) given the price. The usual suspects sell them for $399, but last time I looked a couple weeks ago they were plentiful in the $329 range on eBay from Asia. I'm guessing it's pretty straightforward to find then in the $300 to $340 range using Best Offer.

I've got other things on my plate right now, but one of these lenses is definitely in my future.

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:18 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji astrophotography

I don't use a Fuji, but I do use a NEX which requires a similar approach for focusing for astrophotography. I use two techniques:

1. Zoom in as far as you can. Make sure focus peaking is off. I have a developed a good sense of when a shot is slightly front or back focused based on the color change for the main lens I use for astrophotography (Sony 16/2.8 pancake), which helps for this.

2. Do a test exposure. #1 usually works well enough by itself, but there are times when that doesn't work (clouds, etc). Wide open, ISO 6400-12800, for a second or two. If you've got blobby stars, move focus a bit. If the problem gets worse, move it back. Keep going until the center stars are little pinpricks.

IIRC, the Fuji will hold it's MF position when you turn the power off. This may not be true, but this is what I've been told. If it is, just be careful not to move the focus ring - I suppose you could tape it as well.

On the NEX, that isn't true - so instead, I let it put itself to sleep. It holds MF position in that state.

I'm also interested in the Samyang 12/2. It looks like a great lens for night work!

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:28 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji astrophotography

justruss - thanks, I've read that review too. It does look pretty fantastic. I was hoping to hear some first hand experience. The supposed future Fuji 16mm 1.4 is intriguing too.

mourningshadow - the 23mm works the same way. Maybe I should just try taping it too. How did you find the XT-1 LCD to be?

arduluth - Yep, those are the two techniques I used as well. But the X-E1 lcd doesn't zoom in quite far enough to be useful to me. Not a big difference between blob and pinprick that I could tell.

Backstory: I'm trying to figure out a lightweight backpacking/landscape/astro setup. The A7R body by itself is lightweight but the full-frame lenses get heavy again, adding an extra .5lbs at least. I'm curious to see what the new Fuji 50-140 2.8 will weigh too.

Sep 08, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji astrophotography

I have the Samyang 12/2, but for Sony. I've used the Fuji 14 for some astrophotography, and while the samyang isn't quite as good across the frame as the Fuji is, it's quite good and even fairly decent at f/2, which could help a bit. I haven't used the 12/2 for astrophotography, though (and may not, since the X-T1 does much cleaner long exposure shots in the shadows).

Sep 08, 2014 at 11:27 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji astrophotography

Jman - thanks for the info. How do you find the X-T1 and 14mm combo to be for focusing on the stars? Do you use the taping method?

- John

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:27 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.