Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

Great game as it ended 34-33 and the players were intense on both sides. Definitely worth the price of admission to watch. The field was definitely dark as the sun set, but that's high school football.

This is the first year I've had to worry about file selection, cropping, captions and deadlines. Next week I'll focus more on WB as well as some timing - shots and deadlines. I missed the first 2 minutes of the 3rd quarter uploading images.

I have reduced my bursts and the number of total images, but still came away with a good share of keepers. Far from where I want to be, but I feel I'm progressing.

1 - Great run.

2- This was across the field.

3 -

4 -

Sep 07, 2014 at 03:14 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

Really liking number 4 Andy, and number one is well done too. The only comment I would make is that on my monitor the white balance seems to be a little inconsistent. I know how hard that is to do with cycling lights, but look at the difference between number 3 and number 4.

Looks like you are loving that 1DX. Even though I'm a Nikon guy, I can see why people are raving about it.

Good stuff here.

Rick

Sep 08, 2014 at 05:49 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

Great stuff. The high ISO pics look really good.

Sep 08, 2014 at 06:11 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

White balance was an issue and when the sun went down and I had the cycling lights, but I didn't want to take the time to mess with it and thought I'd play with it in post. Lesson learned. Thanks for reaffirming.

I'll often go to a Kelvin setting, take a shot and chimp, until I get it right. I didn't feel I had that time. I'm going to start carrying my ExpoDisc for a quick WB just in case.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping for improved images next week.

Sep 08, 2014 at 07:41 AM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

Andy - nice set and I agree with Rick...#4 is my favorite. Great action on both players.

Question about your WB setting using a ExpoDisc....I'm assuming that's a gray card used for custom WB...if so, is it consistent throughout the field..both end zones...middle of field? If so, I'm guessing you get your reading in the center of the field and go from there? I have a Lastolite and use it for interior gyms...but wondered about effectiveness on the gridiron.

So far I've been lucky using Auto WB....but I've had to tweak a handful of photos for WB...but a lot better from last year.

Thanks for any insight.

JC

Sep 08, 2014 at 09:36 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

These were AWB with some correction in post. The ExpoDisc is a potential solution I'm going to try. It goes over the lens, you shoot at the light source and use that to set the WB. At this field there was a light stanchion at each of the 4 corners. I tried a gray card before and it's too much interruption when I need to be doing other things.

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:44 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

1 and 4 for me to Andy. Cycling lights suck. I am not sure there is any solution to sovle a changing WB from frame to frame, other than fixing the good images in post. I've not tried an expo disk, but just trying to figure out mentally how taking one frame with it and adjusting your WB based on it will help with subsequent frames that have a different color cast.

I have struggeled with trying to get my WB correct. I don't strive for complete accuracy, but what looks best and try to get the images consistant, so that all of my whites (or reds/blues/etc) appear to be same color, even if not pure white.

Sep 09, 2014 at 10:35 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

We'll see how Thursday's game goes. This is my "home" stadium and generally I can set it at a Kelvin of 4000 and I'm pretty good for the night. The cycles seemed worse at last weeks stadium. I attribute it to the lights anyway and I'm sticking to it.

I think one issue I'll focus on is shooting lower as well. I stand too much.

Sep 09, 2014 at 10:44 AM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

Expodisc isn't really going to help with cycling lights in my opinion. Regardless, make sure you are at or below 1/60th or it's a waste of time.
These pictures are fantastic. I'd just tweak them in post in a cycling light situation which I deal with every basketball game.
I took number 3 above and used the color picker in lightroom on the kids white jersey and it balanced it first shot.
Great shots!

Sep 10, 2014 at 05:58 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Harker Heights v Stony Point - HS Football

I might be able to slow the shutter for the calibration but not shooting the game. And I agree with the idea that if it was cycling lights, balancing to one fraction of the cycle isn't a fix. But I haven't experienced such a swing except at that away game so it may be moot. Part of my reality is the ExpoDisc has been helpful in the past and I needed a new one.

Regardless, tomorrow night is this weeks game and I am stoked to get get out and shoot again.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.