FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · VSCO question...

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · VSCO question...

First off - I know that VSCO isn't everyone's thing, not trying to start a debate here. Had a friend recommend them so I'm giving some a shot (the new 05 pack).

Here's the issue - EVERY preset seems insanely contrasty (even the '- -' versions). Even with smooth shade-lit images, the instant I apply a preset it applies an absurd amount of contrast, blowing both shadows and highlights. I then have to take a few minutes to mess with contrast and curves to normalize it, which seems a bit annoying considering this was supposed to save time.

Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Sep 07, 2014 at 01:16 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · VSCO question...

What film setting in particular? I don't experience that personally.

What drives me crazy though is the orange skin tones.

Sep 07, 2014 at 01:25 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · VSCO question...

Pretty much all of them, honestly. Though I've discovered that my work has become really low contrast lately (not even intentionally, just grew that way over time) so maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Sep 07, 2014 at 01:38 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · VSCO question...

Not normal

Sep 07, 2014 at 03:52 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · VSCO question...

contact VSCO, helpful people

heiko

Sep 07, 2014 at 04:17 PM
carriedaway
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · VSCO question...

I have the same results with pack 5. I also have 1 and 2, and they aren't like that at all. Maybe try some different packs to find something more your style?

Sep 07, 2014 at 05:01 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · VSCO question...

I found with VSCO, you have to "roll your own" with their tools and calibration profiles. The only "turn key" presets that are worth a damn, IMO, are the Replichrome. (although, I do not use any "preset" from any company without major editing) I would also question why you chose pack 5 over the others? That's the nature of most films listed in that pack.

Sep 07, 2014 at 05:29 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · VSCO question...

And you're definitely using the presets that are specific to your camera and not the "Standard" presets?

If so then it must be a 05 thing.

brad

Sep 07, 2014 at 08:49 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · VSCO question...

Okay, so it turns out something may be wrong with the LR/Camera calibration. I tried the non-Canon presets (for Nikon, Leica, Fuji, etc) and they look way better. No idea why, but I'll definitely start trying those out.

Sep 08, 2014 at 09:58 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · VSCO question...

The camera profiles are just that. the VSCO will apply a color correction based on camera brand.
I have accedently applied nikon to canon and canon to nikon..... crazy colors.

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:05 AM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · VSCO question...

No that's the problem - I'm shooting Canon, and the Canon ones look bad. Some of the others (Fuji for example) look better.

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · VSCO question...

I feel like I see this more with Canon than with Nikon shoots.

One thing I've found with VSCO is that knowing how to shoot for your editing is key. I now shoot slightly more underexposed than I used to, and prefer to have to push exposure rather than pull it back.

That seems to help.

Also, I don't get orange skin tones unless the lighting is already bad. In which case, it needs fixes in post anyway.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:03 PM
sanangel

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · VSCO question...

which presets are you trying?

I stick to provia100-- and portra160- sometimes Astia

I notice that I have to push the exposure a bit so that they don't have too much contrast.

I shoot Nikon if that matters.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:10 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · VSCO question...

The contrast comes from the camera calibration file.

I love the fact that the profiles are higher contrast, it allows me to dial back the contrast in the development panel which results in a look that I like.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:27 PM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · VSCO question...

So I would say a couple things:

1. If you've been shooting digital but have never shot film, and suddenly get a film pack like VSCO or Replichrome, you may not used to seeing such contrasty images. I don't think contrasty images defines the difference between film and digital, but I do think that film tends to be more contrasty than digital.

2. I decided on Replichrome over VSCO for a variety of reasons. One is price. Another is available film packs. A third is the layout: Replichrome places all Kodak packs in one folder, all Fuji packs in another folder, all B&W packs in a folder, and all Tweaks in a separate folder. That really helps my work flow.

3. It's a fact: Some images look better with a particular preset while another image from the same shoot looks terrible with that same preset. The Kodak Ektar 100 Frontier may look great with one image but terrible with another, in which the Fuji Porta 400H looks better with that image. BUT to test every single preset with every single image wastes my time. Generally, I work in this fashion: Cull, find the preset that looks best with my one favorite image without changing anything else, sync that image to all other images, then if the images don't look good with that preset I reject then delete.

4. To get rid of orange skin, I hit the "orange skin -" or "orange skin --" tweek.

Sep 08, 2014 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.