Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

arduluth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

When my aunt passed away, I inherited her camera gear. One of the cameras in her collection was a Nikon L35AF. Since I didn't think it was likely that I'd ever run film through it, I decided to adaot the 35mm f/2.8 Sonnar-derived lens for use on my NEX.

Many, many screws later, I've extracted the lens from the camera. The optical block in small, a cm or so long. Flange distance is pretty short, 20-30mm long. I don't know exactly yet - I need some new batteries for my caliper and the way I've mounted it so far is a mega-kludge. A c-mount adapter and a cheap set of extension rings with the actual extensions removed, which allows me to add enough distance to get focus at 3m or so. The lens block is secured to the c-mount adapter with electrical tape.

I'm looking for ideas on how I might hack together a better home for the lens. If I had access to a 3D printer I'd try it that way, but no such luck.

The built in helicoid might be usable, but not without putting it in some larger container.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:40 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

Pentax 110 lenses?

Sep 06, 2014 at 01:02 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

I use 2x macro extension tubes as helicoid donor - but most times for larger lenses.

Here an example as projection lens helicoid, and here as stacking helicoid.
I use such a helicoid for my Petzval lens too.
Should work ok for 35mm/2.8 - like my stacking lens.

Sep 06, 2014 at 02:52 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

Till you know the actual registration and dimensions, it will be tough to figure something out.
The shortest helicoid I can think of are the M to E mount helicoid adapters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181463364839 as an example.
Myself and others used a Rokkor MC 55/1.7 body for our Contax G 45/2 transplant, I don't know if there will be room.

Sep 06, 2014 at 03:30 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

The actual optical block is tiny - ~1.5 cm wide at the ring around the front element, ~1 cm long. I'll post more when I get better measurements. I'm thinking of taking apart the 35/1.7 C-mount lens that I have to see if it could be used - very smooth helical and even though it's quite small, it looks like there's be plenty of room for the L35AF's lens.

I'll look into the possibility of one of those 110 lenses, too - thanks!

Sep 06, 2014 at 09:31 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

Google for VNEX, it is a system developed by the host of a German alt gear forum and he also has some info on it on mflenses.org (I think). You can use it to easily mate all sorts of lenses to the NEX, including those salvaged from old p&s and rangefinder cameras.

Sep 07, 2014 at 02:16 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

VNEX is very universal, but relative expensive. About 130 Euro?
The 2x macro teleconverters cost me about 15 Euro each -and low shipping cost and customs to the US cause they are likely availabe in US Ebay.
I think with the multiple thread now it is quite usabel, the old version with single thread with small pitch was not fast to operate.

Sep 07, 2014 at 08:57 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheap source for a donor helicoid?

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=67487
The VNEX KB “complete package” contains:

1. VNEX KB V2.0 for enlarger lenses from 50 – 80mm
2. VNEX KB “short” for lenses with shorter register distances, half frame W.A. lenses, rangefinder close-up extension…
3. complete toolset as seen and described

Price for the complete VNEX KB “Double” - Package is 250 Euro + shipping to your country.

Single VNEX KB Version (without “short” Version) is 175 Euro + Shipping to your country.

VNEX “uni” with the toolset is 169 Euro + shipping to your country.

I bought the complete package for a compact package to get infinity with 50mm and shorter enlarger lenses, so far I'm happy with it.

Sep 07, 2014 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.