Archive 2014 · La Sal Mountains

ponz924
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · La Sal Mountains

La Sal Mountains behind Moab. Colorado River down there in the Canyon

I removed quite a bit of smog with LR.

Roadside View of the La Sal Mountain Range

Shafer Trail taken from near the Visitors Center at the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands Park with Dead Horse Point

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · La Sal Mountains

I can appreciate the difficulty with haze, and harsh light does not help. It sort of looks like snow on the top of the La Sals but I doubt there was any recently. Maybe just bare. I always expect more red in the cliffs. But you have some nice atmospherics.

The Shafer shot is for me mostly about this incredible road. I have driven it three times. This shot works well on an overcast day to reduce the shadows.

Sep 06, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · La Sal Mountains

Image 2 could have the sky cropped from the top down at least an inch. The sky is lacking detailp and isn't contributing much to the image. The horizon appears to lean slightly downhill on the left and straightening the horizon would improve the image. I would also consider burning the road on the lower right side of the image as it has a tendency to draw my eye away from the canyon. A beautiful image that may be enhanced further by warming the foreground and increasing the saturation of the foreground a little more.

The first image has great clouds! I would consider cropping from the top down, roughly 40% eliminating the uppermost clouds.

Sep 06, 2014 at 02:15 PM
andrewsk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · La Sal Mountains

A few things jump to mind on image #2.

Your horizon is almost at the center, yet the sky holds absolutely no interest whatsoever.

What I find interesting here is the curvy road, but it is cut off and therefore not that appealing.

Perhaps tilting the camera down to show the twists and turns would be better.

The first image appears over processed/crunchy due to you cutting out the haze. Try backing off a bit as it is an interesting shot.

Sep 06, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · La Sal Mountains

Watch color balance issues in both images, they both have a magenta cast most prevalent in the first image but apparent in the shadow area of the second.

Sep 06, 2014 at 02:52 PM
ponz924
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · La Sal Mountains

These were taken in May of 13. The haze in 1 was thick enough to cut with a knife. The peaks could hardly be seen at all. I was lucky to recover as much as I did. These were both shot from the roadside. I couldn't get any closer on 2 to capture more of the closer twisties. The bottom half of 2 was also nearly black right out of camera. Feedback appreciated.

[email protected]

Ponz

Sep 06, 2014 at 07:33 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · La Sal Mountains

You need to lay down and hang over the edge of the cliff to get all the road curves in the shot.
Worth the effort. You'd have less sky to worry about as well.
lt is an amazing drive.

Oct 04, 2014 at 03:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · La Sal Mountains

Oregon Gal wrote:
Watch color balance issues in both images, they both have a magenta cast most prevalent in the first image but apparent in the shadow area of the second.

First thing I noticed.
Scott

Oct 05, 2014 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.