New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fly-by for dinner Per DMac's suggestion

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fly-by for dinner Per DMac's suggestion

Debated about putting these up in that they are not really purposeful other than I enjoy the images. Taken with my ISO challenged D2X with 80-200/2.8 non-AIS zoom cranking along on CH.

What might have been done differently? Better? I'm uncertain about the portions of the feeder but otherwise does the hummer hanging in space becomes a visual nothing as in #2? I don't have a sense for that since I don't do birds generally. In this situation I'm on the back porch and the back-lighting was too good to pass up. Action about 8 feet from me.

So, thoughts and suggestions welcome. If you find it pointless, please say so also. About exhausts my inventory of bird images

Regards,

Bob

Sep 06, 2014 at 07:58 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fly-by for dinner Per DMac's suggestion

You did a very good job capturing these. What I like mostly is that you were able to catch the wings blur that impart more dynamism and the sense of life in both images.
Being shooting wildlife for many years I might give you some suggestions to improve the quality of your images.
Avoid including man made objects in your images, unless there is something terribly "wild" about them
You also need to get rid of the noise I see in your images. Do that at the beginning of your editing.
Eyes are the most important part and of the image where the viewer' eyes go to first, so they need to be always in focus, bright and clean. Then the whole image will look in focus In your images being the eyes in the shade the use of a flash would have taken care of that.
I usually try to avoid shooting back-lit subjects, but here it works with the wings glaring. However some highlight areas look blowing out.
From the compositional point of view you should aim to leave more space in your frames toward the direction the subject is looking at or moving to.
All together I believe you did good with these not easy subjects, but I have to warn you: shooting wildlife can be addictive
Hope you don't mind me retouching your images. The only intent is to try to give you a better sense of my comments.
Socrate

Sep 06, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fly-by for dinner Per DMac's suggestion

Shasoc wrote:
You did a very good job capturing these. What I like mostly is that you were able to catch the wings blur that impart more dynamism and the sense of life in both images.
Being shooting wildlife for many years I might give you some suggestions to improve the quality of your images.
Avoid including man made objects in your images, unless there is something terribly "wild" about them
You also need to get rid of the noise I see in your images. Do that at the beginning of your editing.
Eyes are the most important part and of the image where the viewer'
...Show more

Wonderful - thank you very much! I appreciate the re-works and seeing what can be done.

Now, to map out the workflow

Regards,

Bob

Sep 06, 2014 at 09:38 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fly-by for dinner Per DMac's suggestion

Bob Jarman wrote:
Debated about putting these up in that they are not really purposeful other than I enjoy the images.

Bob

Bob, I can think of no better purpose for a photograph than to bring enjoyment. I have tons of images, as we all do, that aren't necessarily the epitome of the photographic art.

IMO, the objective was met. You're out shooting! As I pointed out when I made the proposal, I hope we would be less concerned with coming up with our best work than to "just do it".

As far as these two photos are concerned, I enjoyed seeing them. It brings up some points about photographing hummingbirds. From what I know of those who take this seriously, there are two camps: the blurred wing camp and the "frozen in time" camp. I think the wings frozen is more of a scientific image, while the blurred wing can be a more artistic expression.

I'm with you, the back lighting is wonderful. I like both. The wings in the second image are fun.

Hummingbird photos, as in other bird in flight photos, require proper equipment to execute successfully. We've just started buying a new brand of food from Lowe's and the hummingbirds are going crazy. I want to shoot them, but I want to get the remote that works with an iPad so I set the camera close and trigger from inside. I'll also set up some off camera flash to freeze the wings.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fly-by for dinner Per DMac's suggestion

The images are very nice and the blurred wings add a sense of movement. The Hummingbird feeder doesn't add anything to the image and the re-work Shasoc did improved the first image. I think it's challenging to try photographing all types of subject matter and we may discover a new love of photographing macro, or people, for example.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.