New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

I have been following the recent threads and find the discussion interesting. I haven't been out shooting for quite awhile and I know I am out of practice. I decided to visit an air museum in Oregon ( Evergreen Aviation Museum ) and challenge myself photographically. I find I tire of photographing the same subject again and again. I am posting two images, the 1st image is an overview of the airplanes that are housed at the museum and so you may understand the difficulties of isolating the chosen subject matter. I took a few hundred images and look forward to your suggestions for improvement.

I would appreciate comments in regards to composition, processing and subject matter. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing suggestions. The 2nd image is the tail of the Spruce Goose under the American flag.

Sep 05, 2014 at 08:55 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Oregon Gal wrote:
I have been following the recent threads and find the discussion interesting. I haven't been out shooting for quite awhile and I know I am out of practice. I decided to visit an air museum in Oregon ( Evergreen Aviation Museum ) and challenge myself photographically. I find I tire of photographing the same subject again and again. I am posting two images, the 1st image is an overview of the airplanes that are housed at the museum and so you may understand the difficulties of isolating the chosen subject matter. I took a few hundred images and look
...Show more

Looks as if you had an enjoyable visit.

#1 to me is a nice documentary portraying the context. I doubt there is any good way to convey how absolutely huge the size of the Spruce Goose. About 10 years ago an SR-71 was nestled next to the fuselage under the starboard wing. I cannot suggest any composition any changes, serves its purpose well.

#2 - excellent composition, at least in my opinion. I enjoy the horizontal lines defined by the wing, stabilizer, and structural element of the building. Now dynamism is added by the rudder and diagonal planes (no pun intended) of the flag, rudder, and rear fuselage slicing into the image adding depth and helping guide the eye. The triangular areas also help stabilize the image. An interesting composition with lots going on. Nicely done.

Simply my opinion, a fun venue and I envy the abundant sunshine - when we visited it was gloomy with the area shrouded in rain and low cloud cover. My first venture out with a newly purchased DSLR - D70 (rationalized for first grandson pics of course). What fun!

Regards,

bob

Sep 06, 2014 at 07:44 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

I appreciate the feedback. I had an enjoyable time stretching my wings ( pun intended ) and the American flag caught my eye. I spent some time trying to compose images which included the flag from different angles. I may post a few more to see if any resonate with FMer's or just continue to challenge myself.

I think the subject matter is a good choice for B/W and I will try my hand at some conversions.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:10 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

It's great to see the Spruce Goose again! I saw it when it was displayed next to the Queen Mary.

Both images are well executed. I appreciate you provided a wide shot to set the context, then a detail shot. The second image is very well composed.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

I too remember visiting the Spruce Goose when it was in Long Beach. I even saw Natalie Wood walking the deck of the Queen Mary one day while I was exploring the ship.

I'm glad the composition works. I realize the image is busy and thought about the depth of field for the image. I realized shallow depth of field wasn't going to work as well and I attempted to remove as many distractions as I could. The museum is a beautifully built hanger with large glass windows and I tried to incorporate them into photographs where I thought it would add to the image.

I further challenged myself to shoot with prime lenses and most images were shot with with the Zeiss 32 (48mm focal length). I also have a couple images shot with a wide angle 12mm, the first image shown was taken with the 12mm for a sweeping view from the second level.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:34 PM
andrewsk
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Wow! You picked a tough subject to get back into the habit! I shoot semi minimalist, and this would give me fits

Nice job on the second shot.

I guess here, I would be looking at the lines, and trying to marry up some interesting combinations. Propellers X over square windows, refelection on the body of the lines. Might be fun to get in here at sunrise or sunset with the big windows!

If you have any more please load a few as it would be neat to see what other shots may have been available here.

Sep 06, 2014 at 02:50 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Thank you. I do have other shots and I tried to compose as you suggested. Some suggestions I didn't even think of. I'm not sure about some compositions I tried but I will post a few more. Afternoon light streaming through large windows, planes placed close to one another, even rope barricades placed around groups of planes preventing you from effectly composing sides and rear of the planes. I did enjoy the challenge and the more I look at the images I see shots I could have tried but it's a never ending learning experience and I will continue trying

Sep 06, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

I dig aviation...so these are interesting to me no matter what. I think the overall effect if good-exposure etc. look fine to me.

A couple of thoughts...

First image I'm good with as presented. Nothing I see "wrong" and I don't have any suggestions to make it better.

Second image-the only thing I would change, if possible, would be to show the rounded over part of the extreme end of the fuselage that is cut off in the shot. I think it would be better to include that part and loose some of the forward part that is included now.

Sep 06, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Mongrel wrote:
I dig aviation...so these are interesting to me no matter what. I think the overall effect if good-exposure etc. look fine to me.

A couple of thoughts...

First image I'm good with as presented. Nothing I see "wrong" and I don't have any suggestions to make it better.

Second image-the only thing I would change, if possible, would be to show the rounded over part of the extreme end of the fuselage that is cut off in the shot. I think it would be better to include that part and loose some of the forward part that is included now.

I completely agree, I feel the round part of the fuselage should be included. I did a minor amount of perceived straightening and lost it, I can re-process to include. Thank you for the suggestion. I have included 2 additional images, one taken in landscape mode including the entire rear fuselage and another in portrait mode, excluding the complete tail section but including more of the plane.

Comments and critique on the two new images are always welcome. Comment on any portion of the image including but not limited to composition, processing, likes or dislikes. Re-works are always welcome. I learn from any and all comments.

The original images, I thought were off on white balance and tint so I adjusted accordingly on the newly posted images.

UPLOADED INCORRECT IMAGES, CORRECTED NOW

Edited on Sep 06, 2014 at 05:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2014 at 04:24 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Hi O.G.

Out of all the tail section shots I prefer the first one the most. It's the best perspective and composition in my opinion.

If you could just salvage the little piece of the tail I think it would work...

Sep 06, 2014 at 05:28 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Mongrel, thanks for your comments. I apparently uploaded incorrect images to FM. This has been corrected now. I will work on the first image as time allows. I feel I shot too tightly on the portrait orientated image and while the fuselage is there I wish it had more breathing room on the right. I have included the image for reference.

Sep 06, 2014 at 05:45 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

My favorite is the horizontal version with just the tail section.
Good frame-within-a-frame with the tail framing the flag.

I also love planes

Sep 07, 2014 at 06:00 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Tough place to shoot - looks really busy there.

Favorite shot would be the last one slightly rotated counter-clockwise and with the same processing as pic #2.

I really like how much the flag stands out in the otherwise neutral background.

Cheers,

Jeff

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:35 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tipping Point - Image for Critique

Thanks John. I like both versions with the flag but I also give a slight nod to the horizontal based on my error in framing the portrait orientated version.

Jeff, I will have to re-edit in PS and do some warp straightening. I did a rotation and lost more fuselage and I want to keep what I have.

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.