FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Mono Tufas

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mono Tufas

I had a hard time with this place. I took tons of shots on it but after watching them on my computer they don't appear to me as attractive as when I saw them, while there. The rocky structure just lost the dimension (literately and metaphorically speaking) I wanted to show, and on some pictures it looks like a pile of dirt.
Anyway, here is one of my shots I decided to save and now processed. I did capture both the Moon and Milky Way in a single exposure. I also decided to illuminate Tufas with my small flash light bouncing light off of the sandy floor (as oppose to shining it directly onto the structure. I tried that and almost always got overexposed images).

Edited on Sep 06, 2014 at 01:55 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:04 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mono Tufas

I like this, but can't figure out where you took it. I don't recall seeing anything like this at Mono Lake. It is definitely unique.

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:31 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mono Tufas

Very nicely done. I like the bounced light. It is an unusual shot of this place.
Harsha

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mono Tufas

stanparker wrote:
I like this, but can't figure out where you took it. I don't recall seeing anything like this at Mono Lake. It is definitely unique.

from the main beach, start walking towards the navy beach area...its on the way...go a little to the right and its there...very grayish looking formation, not the pink-ish hue that the tufas have.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mono Tufas

stanparker wrote:

Yeah, I know most people won't know where it is. I think they (park rangers at the Visitor's center) try to "hide" this place because those tuffs are very fragile and they don't want lots of people running between them. But it's not really a secret and everyone can get to it. There's even a nice road to this place too. It's located next to the South Tufas but you don't make left to go to them, make a right to Navy Beach and look for these structures along the way. They will be on the right next to the lake. They are also quite small and with big bushes now you can miss them. They look like hives, just darker, and there's no trail to get to them.
There, now you know. Oh, I see Sunny Sra already explained where it is....

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:08 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mono Tufas

o wow this is a unique look at the mono tufas. when i clicked on this i was not expecting to see this. i really spent some time with the image and found the patterns and textures of the formation very captivating. there is at least one horse head that i see and some other stuff my mind can only describe to itself

nicely done, although im not sure how much the sky is contributing to the image though. maybe a nice pano crop of the bottom

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:39 PM
Chuck D
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mono Tufas

Greg, this isn't like any of the Mono lake tufa shots I've seen. It is really cool.

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mono Tufas

killersnowman wrote:
o wow this is a unique look at the mono tufas. when i clicked on this i was not expecting to see this. i really spent some time with the image and found the patterns and textures of the formation very captivating. there is at least one horse head that i see and some other stuff my mind can only describe to itself

nicely done, although im not sure how much the sky is contributing to the image though. maybe a nice pano crop of the bottom

I really don't know Killersnowman. Maybe I should crop it more... I wanted to show where these tuffs start to grow because without that part the image looked just cut off. I do agree on the sky but this is what I've got, that's it.

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:16 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mono Tufas

Outworldly. One of my all time favorites!

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Littlefield
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mono Tufas

Nice, that is really different.
Don

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mono Tufas

Littlefield wrote:
Nice, that is really different.
Don

Here is another. I did the falling light trick by just grabbing a bit of sand and letting it go while illuminating with my flash light. That's all. I took two exposures so that I could take my hand out of the picture
And yes, the shooting star was accidental but certainly a welcome addition.

Sep 05, 2014 at 11:27 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mono Tufas

Greg, both images are very nice.
I know where these tufas are, took pictures of them but they did not come out as exciting as yours.

Sasha.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:34 AM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mono Tufas

Super photos and very creative.
Lonnie

Sep 06, 2014 at 01:02 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mono Tufas

both very cool.
David

Sep 06, 2014 at 07:11 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mono Tufas

dgdg wrote:
both very cool.
David

I added one more image today...

Sep 06, 2014 at 01:55 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mono Tufas

Like the original and the one you added. To me they looks almost like a split shot showing the land above as well as below the surface of a lake. You have a brighter more saturated area above then almost a line where it transitions and darkens and colors get muted. Reminds me of a cave we visited in Spain where because of the clarity of the water and the way it was lit, it was very hard to tell what was actually above the surface of the lake vs what was below.

Regards

Sep 06, 2014 at 05:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mono Tufas

Hey Greg,

Some very nice creativity here. #1 is my favorite, but the other 2 are interesting. Not so sure on the green tint to the tufa's in #2 though.

It looks like you had a good time.

Jim

Sep 07, 2014 at 02:38 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mono Tufas

Gregg,
I like these a lot, creative idea and comps . My favorite is #1 .
Regards,
Dean

Sep 07, 2014 at 09:02 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.