FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

fotografur
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

Sony Alpha 7 & Fuji XT1

These seem to be some of the most popular/hottest cameras here.

I see some had both. Do you still use both?
Why did you chose one over the other?

If you only have the Fuji or the Sony what made you chose to go with that one?

Thanks
Dennis

Sep 05, 2014 at 04:40 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I voted both because I use both soo differently. The xt1 is my everyday "walk-around" cam used with native xf zooms and primes. The A7r is used on a tripod with canon lenses. Both compliment eachother.

Sep 05, 2014 at 04:59 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I went with the XT1 even though I haven't bought one......yet. For me, the whole idea is to go smaller.

Kent in SD

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:12 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

They are similar in size.

It depends what the usage is. The Fuji has a much stronger system. The Sony is FF, and so all your old lenses will work with adapters.

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:14 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

Dare I say that if it is coming down to pure image quality, the Sony has the edge albeit slightly ? Plus, it is a FF body with its known advantages. The XT1 has a better native lens lineup and I heard that the operation of the Fuji system is also better. I haven't used any Fuji camera and I don't have any first hand experience in that respect. Having two sets of lenses that are not interchangeable, different batteries, chargers, etc. doesn't make much sense for owning both. If you need an APS-C body as a second body, then an A6000 would make sense as they share basically everything. From a Sony user perspective, of course.

Dennis,
Fuji has to come up with a FF body or Sony with a better native lens lineup to make the choice even more difficult for you .

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:31 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

AGeoJO wrote:
Dennis,
Fuji has to come up with a FF body or Sony with a better native lens lineup to make the choice even more difficult for you .

Not only me

I bet a lot of people would like a FF Fuji

I do like the size and build of those Fuji lenses.

And I really do enjoy hearing from you guys about why you made your gear choices!

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:53 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I hear you, Dennis. But, and it is a BIG but, keep in mind that if Fuji comes up with a FF body, the body won't be that small and way more importantly, all those nice APS-C lenses will be generating only images at APS-C crop although your camera is FF. Ouch . Then they have to design a new set of FF lenses again to accommodate the FF body. If they keep the same mount... What if they have to make the mount wider to accommodate the FF sensor? If it is coming down to it, it will take a few years to sort things out and I am sure Sony will reinforce the FE lens lineup by then.

Currently, there are 4 Sony FF FE lenses; two zooms and two primes. Only one so far, the 24-70mm f/4 didn't quite get great reviews, at least not at the ends of both FL in the zoom range. The images generated by that lens I have seen so far are actually great but leave that one out. The other 3 are truly great performers.

You will have to make the call which way you want to take. Something to ponder, huh?

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:05 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

Instead of a FF Fuji body id like to see them stick with their apsc line and build out a new medium format line of mirroless bodies and lenses as a throw back to their GW6X0 line of Medium Format rangefinders. That would be amazing.

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:15 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

Thanks Joshua! Now you make it even tougher

Thinking about what you said I would think Fuji will stick with their crop sensor and improve on that. Makes more sense. They have fine glass.

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I'm an X100 user, and I don't either of the cameras in question, but I use a 35mm and 50mm lens 95% of the time, so I'd probably go A7.

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:56 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I have a Sony A7r as my main camera and my previous camera, now my back-up is my Fujifilm X-E1. I only have the one auto focus lens, the Fujifilm 14mm f2.8 lens for these 2 systems. All of my other lenses for the 2 systems are adapted Leica R (as many as 17 in my possession), Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 M-Rokkor, and a Contax (C/Y) 21mm f2.8 Distagon lens. Even though I have both systems, I voted Sony A7; I have yet to need the X-E1 since having the A7r, but I would use the camera when a second body is needed.

Rich

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:02 PM
newone757
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I went from X-T1/X-E1 to the A7. No regrets really.

The IQ is better for my uses I can definitely see it and honestly the usuable ISO range has also increased slightly. I also own the grip and laea4 so although I left behind a nice line of native Fuji glass I now have access to a tremendous amount of nice a-mount glass without losing AF. I love that I can dress the a7 up to be as small or large as I need it to be. (just waiting on sony to throw out a nice 40mm pancake!)

The only thing I do miss is the Fuji 18mm to be honest-- I need to pick up a 28mm lens as I love that focal legnth but I doubt I'll find one as small/lightweight/bright and fast focusing (or AF at all) on the a7. Love it so much that when the price falls even further I think I'll end up picking up an X-PRO 1 to shoot exclusively with the 18mm in b&w mode

Sep 05, 2014 at 08:30 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

Yea that little 18/2 is a sweet little lens. Not the best performing but still awesome to use

newone757 wrote:
I went from X-T1/X-E1 to the A7. No regrets really.

The IQ is better for my uses I can definitely see it and honestly the usuable ISO range has also increased slightly. I also own the grip and laea4 so although I left behind a nice line of native Fuji glass I now have access to a tremendous amount of nice a-mount glass without losing AF. I love that I can dress the a7 up to be as small or large as I need it to be. (just waiting on sony to throw out a nice 40mm pancake!)

The only thing
...Show more

Sep 05, 2014 at 08:32 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

An interesting question.
I have 2 XT-1s, an XE2 and an X Pro 1, along with a lot of Fujinon lenses.
They have replaced my Canon kit for most commercial and personal work.

There were two types of work I had to cover that the Fuji wasn't up to snuff with.
Architecture with TSE lenses and art documentation with macro lenses.

The A7R with adapter and the Canon lenses I'd been using satisfied those requirements.

For me its not one or the other, its both.

Similar to film days with 35mm range finder, 35mm SLR, 2 1/4 sq., 4x5 etc. Plus all the different emulsions.

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

The FUJi XT-1 is the better camera body by far but the A7/A7r have a much better sensor. If Fuji puts a better sensor in the XT-1 body then it is a no contest.

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:38 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

For adapted lenses, the Sony. For native lenses, Fuji.

To some extent, it depends on whether you trust Fuji to release a new camera with a great new sensor, or Sony to release great new lenses...

Sep 06, 2014 at 01:09 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I mostly agree with Carsten. Sony has however been really slow adding native lenses to their lineup. Now a year after introduction there are still only two rather slow native primes for Sony A7. You can of course still use you your old SLR lenses but that kind of destroys the purpose of the compact A7. The Fuji system has a bunch of great fast little primes. The X-T1 actually has a great sensor already. The A7R sensor does have a real advantage for ultra resolution usage, for applications where in the past years required medium format. That's great but not really the top requirement for a compact camera system is it? Both systems are great and mostly depends on your personal preference. Mine are compactness and glass.

Sep 06, 2014 at 04:51 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

carstenw wrote:
For adapted lenses, the Sony. For native lenses, Fuji.

To some extent, it depends on whether you trust Fuji to release a new camera with a great new sensor, or Sony to release great new lenses...

Yes. A lot of people are waiting on this.

Being such a forum where the high quality of gear is used I'm surprised it's so close. And that's good!

Sony Alpha 7 PollPollPoll 23.... 48%
Fuji XT1 PollPollPoll 21.... 44%

Thanks

Sep 06, 2014 at 06:46 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

Sony A7R (FF without AA filter) was a clear decision for me since I have no intention to go back to a cropped sensor based camera if avoidable - I simply want to make good use of my FF-based lenses (especially on the wide end). The Sony A7 series was additionally very attractive to me since it allowed to use all kind of alt lenses with suitable adapters including my Canon EF gear. I still don't own any Sony/Zeiss lens and currently have no intention to get one of those since I don't rely on AF in my photography at all. Even I am using my larger Canon EF lenses with the A7R, I prefer my smaller Leica and alt lenses on it.

Sep 06, 2014 at 08:13 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony Alpha 7 or Fuji XT1

I don't have either, but the answer for me would be an A7. Largely because I'm a user of adapted lenses. Without an upgrade in sensor size, I don't see much gain in switching to an X-T1 or most other APS-C bodies from my NEX-5R.

Even in terms of ergonomics, I'm fine with my 5R. Control over minimum shutter speed, auto ISO range, physical metering switch, and/or the ability to change what the dial does might be nice (change ISO), but I'm used to working around the NEX UI that it doesn't really impede me.

But that's just me! The X-T1 looks like a great camera on most ways, especially if you want to be using a proper system and not just a digital back for a bunch of random manual lenses.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:02 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.