FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2014 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Chriswong1973

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

kylebarendrick wrote:
I wasn't even aware of the white lenses when I bought my first Canon camera.

Same here; I bought into the Canon system because family members were already shooting Canon, and I thought it be convenient to be able to swap gear. And now, for better or worse, my white gear does attract attention

-c

Sep 06, 2014 at 07:53 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Paul Mo wrote:
19%?! Where do you get your figures from? Or are you just parroting Internet Information? .

Edited on Sep 10, 2014 at 09:36 AM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2014 at 08:39 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

PetKal wrote:

Norwegian Blue I think.

Sep 06, 2014 at 08:51 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Thankfully the only white lens I have is the 70-200 f/4L IS. It gets attention from its color, but the lens hood on my 24-70 L gets even more weird looks. People see the big honkin' lens hood and think "OMG! Professional photographer".

Sep 06, 2014 at 11:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

The Canon lenses are white to reduce heating from solar radiation; it's not just for marketing purposes.

EBH

Sep 06, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

No it's not, but when looking at the 70-200's the ol' Magic Drain Pipe certainly has some appeal.

Sep 07, 2014 at 02:24 AM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

White lenses make me look more pro than kit lens-looking black ones. Every time I raise my 400/2.8 IS to take shot, crowds will part like moses crossing a river and every rebel/D3000 shooter just cower away in absolute defeat.

It carries so much power and confidence, who cares if you're pro or not.

White lens + the sound of 10 fps = no one can even handle my sh*t right now

Sep 07, 2014 at 03:47 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

You know, there's an element of truth to that. The 70-200 f2.8 IS II's don't even have to vie for position at stage front - the Rebel shooters just wilt. It's a very real phenomenon.

Sep 07, 2014 at 04:14 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

EB-1 wrote:
The Canon lenses are white to reduce heating from solar radiation; it's not just for marketing purposes.

EBH

And Nikon lenses are all black to increase heating? Personally I wish to decrease attention, reduce size and eliminate marketing from anything. I am getting absolutely same shots while using 135L with original hood or with 35L hood which is twice smaller. Also same good protection to the lens.

Sep 07, 2014 at 04:18 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

In events I have attended as just another person and not a photographer, I've seen Nikon D3/4's and D700's with black 70-200's and Canon 1D's/5D's with white 70-200's. If Nikon photographers think I missed them because of their black lens they're dreaming.

Sep 07, 2014 at 04:38 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Breitling65 wrote:
And Nikon lenses are all black to increase heating? Personally I wish to decrease attention, reduce size and eliminate marketing from anything. I am getting absolutely same shots while using 135L with original hood or with 35L hood which is twice smaller. Also same good protection to the lens.

Canon lenses have fluorite lenses that expand and contract to temperature, so its not all marketing gimmicks like what everyone else want to believe

Sep 07, 2014 at 11:12 PM
tat3406

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

When I bought first DSLR, I thought all Big tele lens should be white colour!

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:43 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

The color of the lenses did not influence me at all, their quality certainly did.

I prefer nikon cameras to be honest (with perhaps the exception of the 1DX) and I sorely miss my D3s.
But I couldn't afford to keep running both systems at the same time for longer and I had to make a choice.
Canon lenses won.

Sep 08, 2014 at 04:07 AM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Color had no influence what so ever. Canon just happens to be the brand I use. I do like the black lenses though. Maybe canon will do a limited edition black lens (super tele) one day.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:43 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Zombie thread.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Hutch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/black_or_white_lenses.do

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:29 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Color of the lens had lighting baring although marketers at Sony believe it works.

Their long lenses are painted white.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Access
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

Not me personally, but I think the white thing (and the red ring) is huge, marketing at it's best. It's instant recognition. The same can be said for 'L' lenses in general. And Canon tends to be pretty good at not watering down what constitutes a white lens.

The only practical component is that, in direct sunlight, white will heat up less. I guess this could be a slight bonus, for those who shoot under the sun.

The only oddity is that, in Japan, white can sometimes be associated with death. Though this symbolism has waned in modern times. In most cultures, white is symbolic of purity (ie. bridal gowns are white).

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM
AvianScott
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

No. And believe it or not, Andre Agassi had more influence on my decision to go with Canon than anything else. He was a big influence to me as a child, and that stuck with me into my teen years when I purchased my first SLR. Fast forward 20 years and I'm still with Canon.

Apr 27, 2015 at 02:34 PM
ilikeglass
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon's white lens marketing strategy

What pulled me over to Canon (from Pentax) was the switch to full frame. The 5D II was the body that photographer friends coveted. I never looked back and I have a single white lens.

Apr 27, 2015 at 04:31 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.