New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Smith Rock State Park

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smith Rock State Park

Planning to head out for couple days to Oregon and spending time around Bend. Smith Rock has been on my list for a while and it may be the opportunity to photograph it.

I checkout the trails map and see a number of trails going. Given i have never been there, its difficult to pick which ones will lead me to photogeneic locations. I wish to scout on my own however, would love to check out which locations others found interesting to maximize my visiting experience.

Any recommendations?

Thx

Sep 05, 2014 at 02:44 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smith Rock State Park

I think it depends on lighting. My favorite shots there weren't on any trail, but at the parking lot and on the road to the west. You will want to take all the trails, IMO.

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:37 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smith Rock State Park

misery ridge is kinda steep but gets good views atop of Smith Rock. From where the climbers go, there are some sweet views.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:06 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smith Rock State Park

There are no trees so there is pretty good viability in all directions to help you explore. The most popular shooting location is just down the main trail from the parking lot a few feet. You can't miss it. The tough decision is how high or low you want to go to get your composition just right. Definitely explore if you have the fitness and time because all the trails are cool and just watching the climbers is fun.

This photo was taken from 300 feet or so from my car (taken after sunset in october). The main trail descends to the river and crosses over and there are trails heading left or right which can be followed in either direction to make a loop. You can see the trail to the left on the other side of the river in my picture.

Cheers Brian

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v87/p1624490026-3.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 at 06:02 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smith Rock State Park

Thanks Brian. Very nice image and useful information cheers

Sep 10, 2014 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.