New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Compact zoom

Zorak Zoran

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Compact zoom

Hello guys, I hope I post in the good forum, I need some advice searching for a zoom for my A7.

Actually, I have a Tokina 70-210 f/3.5, olympus mount, and as i really like the results I have with it, I have some problems.
- First, I can't change aperture, my father who gave me this lense (with a 50 f1.8 and a 24-70 f4 zoom) told me that the aperture was closed inside the camera body, so no possibility to have more dof.
- Second, the zoom gives me a lot of chromatic aberration so I only do B&W with it, also some really wierd reflections from time to time.
- Third, the focus plane shifts when I zoom in or out, which is really painful, as I'm already quite slow with manual focus, don't need other focus problems on top.

Anyway, I was looking to step up, as I really love this focus range, but the Sony FE zoom is quite big, and white, and I loved the discretion of my tokina. And it's really expensive also at 1000€.

So I was looking for your expertise, could you give me advice on a nice zoom, don't care about the mount (is it's olympus again all the better, I already have an adapter at 10€ which works without problems, but I can buy one for another mount), all I need is that it's as small as possible, black, and a constant aperture around 4 would be nice.

Here's some pictures I took with it :
image by zorak zoran, on Flickr

image by zorak zoran, on Flickr

_DSC5861.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

_DSC5876.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

And my favorite for now :
_DSC5582.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

Have a nice day !

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:46 AM
malosify

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Compact zoom

Nothing is going to be particularly compact in this size, but if you just want to fix focus shifts and get better image quality - then look at Canon FD 80-200 f4 L (specifically L). Will run you around $400 for one in like-new condition, with none of the problems you outlined above. It's pretty light too. Color and render on that lens are to die for on A7.

For reference, another FM member's flickr (Phillip Reeve) with this lens:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/birnenbaumgarten/sets/72157637444585026/

Oh, and I absolutely love these photos you shared, thank you. You took family photography to another level, and made me think more about how I shoot people.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:59 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Compact zoom

Very nice photos, Zorak. Please feel welcome to post more. :-)

In my experience, the most compact and discrete telezoom is a prime lens that's cropped as needed. I don't know about your Tokina 70-210, but I used to shoot a Pentax 70-210, which was a fairly good lens. I sold it immediately after comparing it to my 70mm pancake lens, which rendered the images at least as nicely up to a cropped equivalent of about 180mm, and still wasn't bad at 210mm. (This was with a 16 megapixel body; it might have held up all the way to 210mm if I had been working with 24 megapixels to begin with.) Plus, it was relatively tiny, despite being over a stop faster.

So, my recommendation is a ~100mm f/~2.8 lens. This is a relatively easy lens to design and manufacture, so almost all of the main brands have high quality, low cost examples in this category, including Olympus. I'd guess $150-200 is your baseline. Of course, if a zoom is the right tool for you, then certainly go that route--I just thought I'd mention this as something to consider in case you hadn't already done so.

For zooms, the FD L and Zeiss C/Y f/4 lenses are both very good, and seem to run about $400. If you want to spend more, that's certainly possible. :-) My recollection from somewhere is that the budget lens of choice in this class is one of the Vivitar Series 1 lenses; there are several different models, so finding the right one can be tricky, but apparently that's one of the reasons that it is underpriced.

No answers, but hopefully a helpful starting point.

Cheers,
Jon

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Zorak Zoran

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Compact zoom

Thanks for the kind compliments guys, really nice, I'm a total amateur and beginner so I'm happy it can please others than me.
I'll try to post other pictures I took during this hollydays, I took some portraits of friends, and pictures of them playing tennis that I like a lot, maybe you'll like them too.

Anyway I'll take a close look at the Canon, it's black, it doesn't look to big, and Mr Reeves pictures are beautiful, crisp and with nice colors. I could pay more for a smaller and lighter zoom if it exists, I can go as far as 1000€ if needed, all I want is that it's discreet, I don't like "posed" portraits, I always try to take the picture when people don't look at me, and with a huge white zoom, that's difficult, it draws too much attention. I want a zoom, I loved to have the range, I like not having to crop afterwards.

Sep 05, 2014 at 11:15 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Compact zoom

For a couple options in a compact and excellent zoom, try:

Nikon Series E 75-150/3.5
Kiron 70-150/4
Vivitar 70-150/3.8

The last two are in fact the same lens with two different brandings, the Nikon Series E is derived from the slower Kiron design. All are excellent and the Kiron/Vivitar is available in multiple mounts.

Note any OM mount lens, like your Vivitar, should be able to adjust aperture if mounted on a good quality adapter.

Sep 06, 2014 at 08:11 AM
Zorak Zoran

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Compact zoom

Wow, didn't know it was possible to change aperture on my lense, that's really my main problem. Is it possible to have a link on eBay for an adapter, or a name I could search ? I really like the lense, there's something with it that "works" with me, but being unable to have more depth of field is really a pain. Anyway thanks for the advices !

Sep 06, 2014 at 05:13 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Compact zoom

Zorak Zoran wrote:
Wow, didn't know it was possible to change aperture on my lense, that's really my main problem. Is it possible to have a link on eBay for an adapter, or a name I could search ? I really like the lense, there's something with it that "works" with me, but being unable to have more depth of field is really a pain. Anyway thanks for the advices !

You should be able to just set the aperture ring on the lens to change aperture. It's locked out when dismounted but once mounted should work.

A solid Metabones adapter is always a good start.

Sep 06, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Zorak Zoran

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Compact zoom

mawz wrote:
You should be able to just set the aperture ring on the lens to change aperture. It's locked out when dismounted but once mounted should work.

A solid Metabones adapter is always a good start.

I tried to look closer, there's two "metal tags" (I don't know if it's the correct word) that go out at the back of the lense. When I turn the aperture ring, one tag moves, but nothing else changes inside. But if I move the other tag, the aperture closes inside. I had a screw that went inside the adapter, didn't know what it was for, in fact it's to put the second tag on the "on" position. As there was no explanation that went with it, and because I have no common sens, I just assumed it was to lock the lense in.

So I'm stupid, and thanks to you now I can change the aperture of my lense. If I manage to find this damn screw back.

Here's some more photos :

_DSC5494.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

_DSC5561.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

_DSC5571.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

_DSC5574.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

DSC05743.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

_DSC5453.jpg by zorak zoran, on Flickr

Sep 07, 2014 at 12:30 PM
psy501

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Compact zoom

..minolta 100-300 apo d with la-ea4 adapter..relatively tiny..fine rendering..good enough af..260.- for the adapter..200.- for the lens..the lens has absolutely NO chromatic aberrations..

Sep 07, 2014 at 02:19 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.