Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help judge my class's portraits?

marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help judge my class's portraits?

I decided to run a portrait competition for my year 12 photography class. I had a judge lined up but he couldn't come and we are running out of time. They finish school in 2 weeks. I could do it but it would be better to have anonymous judges. Could you please give each photo a mark out of 100?

The brief was for an "Environmental Portrait"..Here is a rough definition:
An environmental portrait is a portrait executed in the subject's usual environment, such as in their home or workplace, and typically illuminates the subject's life and surroundings.

(There is a $50 prize for the winning image.)

There are only 7 students. Usually they are marked on Technical excellence and Artistic merit. Feel free to comment or mark according your own criteria or personal opinion. I will pass on any comments and critique to the students. Thanks to any who reply.

Sep 05, 2014 at 04:56 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help judge my class's portraits?

1st- #3
2nd- #4
3rd-#5
4th#1
5-#7
6-#6
7-#2

Sep 05, 2014 at 03:42 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Thank you tele. Any more ? even just ranking or comments would be appreciated.

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:17 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Good luck
Greg

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:37 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Why not, this sounds kinda fun. Here are my thoughts, ranking 5=good, 1=less good ;-)

Image 1
Technical Excellence - 4
Artistic Merit - 3
General comments: I really like the conversion and his expression. It seems like part of his environment is missing though. Like the bucket or basket or something to our left. It seems strange that is cut out. Or maybe what he's looking at is part of the environment. I just feel like a bunch of he story is missing on this one.

Image 2
Technical Excellence - 3
Artistic Merit - 2
General comments: I like the colors, with the white shirt and red chair, but I'm having a hard time placing this as an environmental portrait, unless he spends most of his time in that chair in the corner making funny faces. I kinda feel like they were simply trying to be different.

Image 3
Tecnhical Excellence - 4
Artistic Merit - 4
General Comments: Nice light and this is really does seem to fit nicely with an environmental portrait. The awkward reading position totally fits what a little kid would do and it certinly looks like that could be his room with the stuff in the back. I think even a lower perspective and maybe even a little wider, showing more of his environment as well, could make this stronger.

Image 4
Technical Excellence - 4
Artistic Merit - 4
General Comments: Good connection and does fit the theme nicely. I can't decide if I'd like it wider or not, because we seem to get enough of the story with the tight crop on this one.

Image 5
Technical Excellence - 3
Artistic Merit - 2
General Comments: I do like the light and the rim on her hair, but when I think of a portrait, I usually don't think of somebody's back. I'm also struggling to get a sense of what her actual environment is. Maybe a shopping center? I think we need more clues as to what the environment actually is.

Image 6
Technical Excellence - 4
Artistic Merit - 3
General Comments: I can believe this one as an enviromental portrait. This one seems to have a few clues as to where it is, if your local to the area.

Image 7
Technical Excellence - 4
Artistic Merit - 5
General Comments: I think this is my favorite. The conversion is nice, but this one seems to really tell the full story and is very believable that this is the gentleman's true environment. The inclusion of the sign in the figures are great. Again, I almost would like to see it wider and if possible, even showing interaction with a customer.

Anyway, I hope that is of some help. I haven't been very active on here lately, but I do have a few posts with some of my stuff, so you can determine if I'm even worthy of judging your student's work.

--David

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:37 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Wow! thanks neighbourboy for putting the time in, I will pass all these comments on to the students.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:37 PM
planalpha
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help judge my class's portraits?

I think #5 takes it. I like the lens flare and the composition just speaks to me.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:39 PM
woodwind
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help judge my class's portraits?

$4

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:52 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Thank you! Keep them coming!

Sep 06, 2014 at 09:58 AM
Coltrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help judge my class's portraits?

First place I would give to #3
Second place would be #6

Sep 07, 2014 at 06:13 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help judge my class's portraits?

I’ll play. And will start by saying that every image here strikes me as good to very good; but none, to my mind, is “professional”—which I’ll define as “likely to be purchased by an experienced photo editor for a top outlet.” This may be a harsh standard for judging students, but I think that we pay respect to artists when we judge them by tough standards. To my mind, too many artists have been misled by friendly praise, when tough, respectful critique would have served better. Since the real world is harsh, our true friends should be brutally honest when they review our work—far better to hear constructive criticism in private than hear empty praise, and be unaware of our weaknesses when we face the marketplace.

#1—I like the basic idea, but am bothered that the subject is looking at . . . um, seemingly nothing. His determined gaze gives the expectation that he is looking at something significant, so the viewer's eye goes to where he is looking—but it finds nothing.

Also, something in the toning—at least on my (calibrated) monitor--bothers me.

This said, I like the strong, basic composition—but the gentlemen needs to be looking at something significant.

#2—I quite like this image, but need the near eye to be dead sharp, which it is not. Also, The caption does not compel me, paired with the shot. Strikes me as a brave effort.

#3—Very strong, but I wish the image had been shot from a bit lower perspective. We need to see this through the child’s perspective—which probably means taking the shot from about his eye level, or at least closer to it. From the angle here, the book is in more perfect view than the boy’s face, which inverts the emphasis from the boy to the book. Brilliant concept; near miss in execution.

#4—Good execution, though I’d prefer to see a bit more illumination in the shadow portion of the girl’s face—fill flash, here, is called for. I like the shot quite a bit. But to me, here, the assignment calls for more of what I’d call a “story-telling shot”—and this shot, though very pleasing, does not tell quite enough story for me. Perhaps more bicycle? Perhaps an expression that conveys more about this girl’s travails and triumphs with the bike?

#5—Gut feel, I’m drawn to this image more than any of the others—but damned if I know why. Nice use of backlight. Does it tell a story? Not so sure. For me, this is a good shot. A great shot, on the other hand, would show, perhaps through the expressions of the oncoming pedestrians, recognition and reaction to what they see in the young woman we are trailing. As it is, we are deprived both of her perceptions, and of the onlooker’s perceptions. Brilliant concept, near miss in execution.

#6—Solid concept, perhaps another near-miss in execution. The subject is not looking at the camera and not looking at his smartphone. What is he looking at, over the photographer’s left shoulder? This question, I think, will enter the mind of many viewers, whether they realize it or not, and weakens the image. On the other hand, if this image were commissioned to illustrate, say, somebody who doesn’t give a crap about the world as it passes him by, it might well deliver the editorial message. And those of us who have shot for hire know that expressing the editor’s message is often the goal. So if this were the student’s precise intent, he or she has carried it out. On another note, I’ll quibble with exceptions made to the conversion to monochrome, leaving some blue and red portions colored. Since these exceptions don’t, to my eye, add anything compelling, I’d suggest leaving them out.

#7—Great concept. Objection to having the sign in better focus than the gentleman’s face—suspect it would work better in the reverse. Torsos real (to image left) and manikin (?) (to image right) detract. Would prefer more narrow band of focus (requiring wider aperture, which student budgets might not permit).

You probably can’t do this, but if you could, it would be very interesting to give each student a critique, and ask them to go out and retake their shots, then judge the results.

Cheers,

--Chris

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:40 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Thank you so much! Every comment is appreciated and will be passed on to each student. I will have to finalise this by tomorrow and let the students know on thursday afternoon (Australian Eastern Time). You still have time (at the time of writing this to contribute if you wish. Will let you know the final outcome soon. If you are thinking of ranking the photos please do it now! many thanks!

Sep 08, 2014 at 04:29 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help judge my class's portraits?

I have a few basic comments only on some:

1. I think a bit unnatural due to what I perceive to be skin processing, but I like the composition. [Edited to use the word Mottled to describe the skin/hair]

2. I'd have liked sharper at a minimum

3. I'd have suggested to shoot this if even lower to the ground for a glimpse of more facial expression

4. The shadows have already been mentioned

5. The most interesting to me of the group due

6. Would have been intersting with a different DOF for the background activity, and with the color used it in it on some garments

7. Another candidate for getting lower and DOF, in this one, more head to head isolating the man and the sign and pushing back for consideration the background of legs nothing relative to the man, who he is or what he does. The prop on the tree and the sidewalk tell that part of the story

Edited on Sep 09, 2014 at 06:40 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2014 at 06:08 PM
Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Okay, I'll play. I have my own sense of what an environmental portrait typically is. However, the word typical and creative photography often do not go hand in hand. For me, an environmental portrait will tell me who that person is. What they do, what they like, what they are engaged in. I connect it more with the "what they do or engage in" vs the portrait itself if that makes sense.

I will add this. I've been told that my critiques can be taken as harsh and not encouraging. I hope they don't come over that way, but know that what I call out are areas that IMHO could be improved on. This is nothing personal and it is only one mans opinion.

That said, I looked for something already written that I typically agree with and found this at http://photography.about.com/od/basicphotolessons/a/Environmental-Portraiture.htm

Environmental Portrait vs. Personality Shot

The line between an environmental portrait and a personality shot is a razor thin line. An environmental portrait focuses on the occupation or situation of the subject. A personality shot instead uses props/ lighting /composition/ point of view to bring out the personality of the subject. Hobbies and non-work related things are much more common in personality shots. The role of composition , lighting, and other techniques (such as depth of field )are also much more important in a personality shot than an environmental portrait. Environmental portraits are more about the surroundings than the mood of the photo, the exact opposite of a personality shot (although the end result is often very subtle in difference to one not familiar with photography). In general, environmental portraits are much easier to set up for a beginner because it is more props and less creative photo technique. Both types of portraits offer a lot of options for experienced photographers however as the more experienced photographer begins to fine-tune the genres.

Based on that, I think most of these fall under what this definition calls out as a "personality portrait".

1) Not a big fan of toned images like this. That's a personal opinion. I suppose I often wonder why it's toned. Is it making up for some deficiency? Is it hiding poor color management? That said, the conversion is fine. I see a older gentlemen sitting next to some plants. He is also disconnected because he's looking off in another direction that doesn't even seem to be the plants. I had to look hard to see the gardening tool in his hand. That, IMHO, should be more prominent. It would give me a better visual clue as to what his interests are. I like where this one was going...concept certainly has potential. From the comp, maybe a bit lower angle and the man pulled into the frame a bit more. Think classic rule of thirds alignments.
2) I don't get this one. Nothing environmental here. Color is off, and it seems pretty soft.
3) I like this one, This is the child's world. This meets the environmental challenge. Would like to see more of the child's face and the world more from their size. A lower shooting angle could help this one a lot.
4) Cute shot, great subject. I like the conversion but there are some blown out details I'd like to see recovered if possible. Wishing the eyes had a little more light and it was a touch sharper. The conversion could be taken a bit further by adding some grain to give ti an older feel that would find the softness fitting here a bit better. this one screams personality, not environmental to me.
5) Cool street scene with no real subject. Has an environment but no portrait.
6) Feels like a street grab that almost got there. No connection to viewer...need subject to make some kind of eye contact. Muddy color and detail kill it for me. If the background were dropped out more, I could make the stretch that his environment is the device that most of the world seems tethered to.
7) While I would prefer an angle about 45 degrees to the left of frame, this one speaks environmental portrait best to me. Despite the portrait side missing the mark, I know instantly that this guy is a street seller of trinkets. This ties him to the environment in a definable way. Doesn't look too happy to be there, but that only adds to it. This one hits me as the best of the bunch for the intended assignment.

My rankings; 7, 3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5.

Hope my 2-cents helps. This is just my off the cuff thoughts at this moment. I reserve the right to feel completely different the next time I look

Sep 08, 2014 at 07:15 PM
tonyboy31

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Great shot bro

Sep 09, 2014 at 01:16 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help judge my class's portraits?

I worked out a point system based on your rankings, my own and another teacher.
1st place..No.3
then No.7
No.1
No.4
No.6
No.5
No.2
Thanks to those who replied. Jaclyn will appreciate the $50 prize for coming first! I also printed out all your comments and the students will receive these tomorrow. Next week is their last week of school, then major exams in another 4 weeks. The photography course is part of their Higher School Certificate.

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:21 AM
simchippy

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help judge my class's portraits?

Sep 18, 2014 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.