New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

epdad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

Looking at a trip with my wife around the second week of October, so this is less a photo trip and more a getaway. She's not terribly adventurous, certainly some hiking and general riding around. How many days should I plan? Will likely fly into Phoenix and drive up, and maybe leave from Vegas. Really hard to grasp the size of this place, so was wondering if 3-4 days is about right for this kind of trip? Can I stay in one hotel, or best to move around a bit? Any advice appreciated.

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

If all you want is the canyon, there are lodges on the rim available.
Personally, I would prefer to stay in Flagstaff, and drive around and see a few other things in the area as well. Better accommodations in my opinion.

Sep 04, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

It's hard to guess what other folks would like. But Tim's idea isn't bad. You might find a day or two at the south rim is enough, although mornings and evenings are better photo times. From Flagstaff, you aren't too far from a wide variety of other interesting locations. If members of AAA, get the Indian Country Guide (if still available). It's a handy map of northern Arizona and some of the surrounding states with a lot of concise details on other parks, monuments, events, etc.

Sep 04, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/desert-view.pdf
or
http://goo.gl/maps/3TPMW
There's only about 20 miles of road along the S. Rim. If car touring and a few short hikes are the mode of travel, 2~3 days is probably 'enough' to get a feel of the area.

As suggested, Flagstaff makes a nice secondary destination. I'm not sure how much color persists into the 2nd week of October. If you can extend your trip to 5+ days, a longer tour through S. Utah to Vegas starts to sound mighty appealing. Add a few days in the Paria/Kanab area, and you'll have no difficulty finding colorful trees and great scenery. The higher areas of Zion may be starting to turn too.

In general, taking the Northern Loop from S. Rim to Vegas adds only about 3 hours of pure driving. It's a much more scenic route, with numerous interesting destinations along the way.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:18 AM
ceedee

[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

I'll be visiting the area around that same time. We've planned to have one day and the next morning at the South Rim (we are staying at one of the lodges). After that we'll be heading to Page to visit Antelope Canyon before heading back to LV via the northern route. It's something of a whirlwind trip but my thinking is that one decent hike at the South Rim followed by a sunset and a sunrise should be a decent experience.

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:54 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

I wouldn't stay in Flagstaff, why would someone want to drive an hour one way every day to visit the Grand Canyon. There are tons of lodging at the Grand Canyon and just outside of it.

You only need to stay in one place, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon is only about 15 miles or so long, at least for the major view points. I think it would be best to actually stay right on the rim itself, or just 3 miles from it. You can then enjoy the sunrise or sunset without getting back to a hotel 2 hours later.

Jim

Sep 07, 2014 at 01:10 AM
epdad

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

Thanks for the tips everyone. We're still working on when we can go....also looking at Yosemite.

Sep 07, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Adam Schallau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

I agree with Jim Fox, and suggest staying in the park or near the park. I live in Flagstaff (and have lived in the park as well) and would not want to make the 1.5 hour drive every day to visit the canyon. Stay either in Grand Canyon Village, or in Tusayan (located 1 mile from the park entrance and about 6 miles from the rim). I suggest giving yourself 2 days (3 days is nice if there weather is working in your favor) for a first trip to the canyon, and staying in 1 lodge.

Keep in mind that you may still have plenty of driving to do. You may still have a decent drive to make to your sunrise or sunset locations even if you're staying in the park. The drive from Grand Canyon Village to Desert View is a total distance of 24 miles. Without stops or traffic getting in the way the drive should take approximately 45 minutes. I wouldn't want to add that time to a long drive from Flagstaff early in the morning, or after sunset.

There's a similar challenge to overcome should you choose to photograph from somewhere along the Hermit Road. You will have to give yourself plenty of time to catch the Hermit (Red) Route shuttle early in the morning.

Have a great time at Grand Canyon!

Sep 07, 2014 at 05:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

Simply ask yourself "Do I want to wake up each morning at 3:30 am in Flagstaff to then immediately drive two or more hours to take a picture? Or do I want to wake up in the center of my universe and have an enjoyable experience? "

You can always drive down to Flagstaff after your morning is done, if you even want to.

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:18 AM
Alan Louie
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

I agree with the others, stay in the park if possible. The rim trail is scenic and doesn't require much athletic ability (just plenty of water as it's exposed).

I would also consider as a daytrip, a quick drive out the Monument Valley. If you haven't seen it, it's quite scenic enough to be worth it probably to your wife and definitely to you as a photographer. Just make sure you have plenty of gas (they're spaced pretty far apart out there).

Sep 08, 2014 at 10:54 AM
subgenius
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

I would stay in Tusayan just outside the Park. I would visit Flagstaff rather than stay. You may also want to drive south of flagstaff and take inn Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

Good info here. Are there any camping options near South Rim?

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

msoomro wrote:
Good info here. Are there any camping options near South Rim?

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm#CP_JUMP_153567

Sep 15, 2014 at 01:09 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

thanks Greg

Sep 15, 2014 at 01:26 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

so one more question to GC veterans. Based on collective experiences, are there specific months which are known to have more probability of dramatic skies and great sunsets than other months.

Sep 15, 2014 at 01:28 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Grand Canyon-South Rim, October

Yes, the next two or three days as the blown out hurricane goes by. And the monsoon season, July August, more or less.

Sep 15, 2014 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.