FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anti-Spam feature

morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anti-Spam feature

I've noticed a significant drop in activity on the FM forums over the past few months. It seems to coincide with the anti-spam feature's implementation. There are many other reasons this could be happening as there are plenty of other forums and also main stream social networking such as Facebook and Google+. I'm wondering if the anti-spam features needs to be adjusted so that it dose not drive away members or discourage the use of the forum.

I have some ideas that could help if this is a problem, I don't want to bother Fred if it is not so I'm not going to post them till we have an answer.

Update:
This is a screen capture of the feature I'm talking about:

http://qcpages.qc.cuny.edu/~maltman/Anti-Spam.jpg

Edited on Sep 04, 2014 at 08:33 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2014 at 07:46 PM
acjd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anti-Spam feature

What anti-Spam feature?

Wasn't there some change about not pulling your thread up more than 5 times? That was bound to kill of many people not giving them incentive to stay. What was the point of staying when you want attention?

People come, People go.

Some people feel intimidated by the better photographers here, some of the regulars, and not feel its worth the effort.

Some people feel like they got better and its time to move on to places where the critiques are more pointed.

Some people get the photo hobby bug but other stuff happens in their lives

Facebook? Some people like instagram.

So what anti-spam software? not understanding.

Oh, and the actual bulletin board software needs some work. You can't preview your post ahead of time. You can't see what typos you made, etc. A bit old school, antiquated bb software.

Edited on Sep 04, 2014 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anti-Spam feature

Not familiar - "anti-spam feature"?

I've noticed that there's less activity, but over a longer period than just a few months; maybe even as much as a year. No theories, just noted and logged, Captain.

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:04 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anti-Spam feature

The anti-spam feature I'm talking about is when you comment on a lot of posts you are asked to repeat the characters you see in a hard to read graphic into a dialog box.

Quite annoying, especially for a dyslexic like my self.

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:19 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anti-Spam feature

I see.

Maybe. Possible. But I think its a lot more than that. For example, I can understand the "like" button stuff since it emulates "social media" and is the "in thing" these days

But I think maybe the weekly votes on the feature thread probably has forced some threads into become popularity contests more than true photography contests possibly making the better photographers or new photographers unwilling to post when they see that.

But that is just a theory, not necessarily a fact. Some wins seem right. Some not so right.

Since there is already weekly and monthly photo contest forums, I see no point in having popularity contests within the other forums, such as N&W, and that "could" have driven new people away. I do not believe the feature threads are a healthy thing to keep a thriving community when photo contests already exist in the other forums and, possibly, the voting become, conceivable, a popularity contest. This could be intimidating to new members.

In other words, I have seen a drop in activity but not just in the last two months but for at least 6 months.

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:25 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anti-Spam feature

acjd wrote:
I see.

Maybe. Possible. But I think its a lot more than that. For example, I can understand the "like" button stuff since it emulates "social media" and is the "in thing" these days

But I think maybe the weekly votes on the feature thread probably has forced some threads into become popularity contests more than true photography contests possibly making the better photographers or new photographers unwilling to post when they see that.

But that is just a theory, not necessarily a fact. Some wins seem right. Some not so right.

Since there is already weekly and monthly photo contest forums, I
...Show more

This is a very interesting theory. I hope people do not view the forum as a contest, it's a place to share and learn.

I do enter and also win a lot of contests, and it's great fun. I don't come hear for a contest though I did enjoy when one of my threads was the weekly pick. I've also scratched my head as to why some are picked and others are not. Who knows what goes on in private messages and emails. IMHO, contests should be judged by a judge or panel of judges, not a crowd.

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:39 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anti-Spam feature

morris wrote:
The anti-spam feature I'm talking about is when you comment on a lot of posts you are asked to repeat the characters you see in a hard to read graphic into a dialog box...

You mean the "Captcha" phenomenon? I don't like that very much, but I haven't seen it on FM.

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:52 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anti-Spam feature

Ernie Aubert wrote:
You mean the "Captcha" phenomenon? I don't like that very much, but I haven't seen it on FM.

Yep, It comes up all the time on FM for me. Possibly because I type 90 WPM so I can reply to a lot of post quicky.

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:57 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anti-Spam feature

I have seen the box, but I have always ignored it and not filled it out .

I, too, have noticed for quite some time that the activity is down, not sure why.

Birdie

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:16 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anti-Spam feature

I'm sure Fred has stats on the number of posts, and could provide some basic feedback on whether activity has gone down or up, both in total and on a per account basis. The average posts per account could also be indicative of behaviour. One other thing that might be interesting is the number of accounts that used to be very active, but have more recently become inactive (Chad for example). I have a feeling that some folks that used to be pretty active and pretty good have either moved to another forum or just lost interest. That's my 2 cents.

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anti-Spam feature

Yes, it has impacted the number of posts negatively. I would reply to comments by others to my postings at one sitting. Since the "type this word" feature was introduced when you make more than five replies, I don't have the time to decipher and type in mystery words.

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:39 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anti-Spam feature

acjd wrote:
I see.

Since there is already weekly and monthly photo contest forums, I
...Show more

+1
Socrate

Sep 04, 2014 at 10:03 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anti-Spam feature

I haven't been around as much because I've been raising two young malamute pups, a brother and sister, which hasn't allowed me to get out and shoot as much or travel. When I can't contribute something I don't always feel as comfortable posting. Now that they're a little older hopefully that's going to change some.
I didn't know about the anti-spam feature...I don't particularly like those, in some instances can be nearly illegible and not sure why there'd be a need for it here. I don't expect it would keep people away though.

Sep 04, 2014 at 10:43 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anti-Spam feature

As a newcomer I'm still learning the posting protocol and etiquette. Never saw the spam box nor knew the five post limit - just figured out how to use the multiquote option my last post! Perhaps an idiots guide is needed to point out these rules/features to newbies. You probably already have one but as idiots we (speaking for myself ) need all the help we can get - that even goes for finding it if it exists. To first post a picture I asked a friend via pm as it wasn't that strait forward - speaking as an off times computer challenged dinosaur.

In regard to post levels haven't participated long enough but summer is such an active time one would expect to have more pp time and more posts in the less nice months.

As far as crits go again I'm still unsure of the depth and level due to the vast level of experience and competence showcased. Don't get me wrong there are hobbyists here who regularly produce and post top shelf pro work but others not so. Hence crits tend to be lightweight. To be honest since photography is an art to be shared some of the less skilled images are equally enjoyable as one can see what they were aiming for. Add to this the randomness of animal behaviour and variety of subjects it's all good. I also think there is a helpful spirit towards learners which is very nice to see.

Phil

Sep 05, 2014 at 02:07 AM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anti-Spam feature

This is just a test to see what you are writing about.
OK.
Norm
ps I haven't been participating much lately because of other commitments.

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:44 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anti-Spam feature

Shasoc wrote:
+1
Socrate

+1

Sep 05, 2014 at 08:22 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anti-Spam feature

It's summer. Aren't we all out taking pictures and not spending our valuable time on FM?

Sep 05, 2014 at 08:57 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.