New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Just sold all of my Nikon grear and ready to try mirrorless once again. I've decided on the A7s as I'm looking to try some astrophography and from the reviews, this camera is an excellent choice.

Deciding on wide angle has me thinking between three of Samyangs lenses. The 14mm f/2.8 which they don't seem to make in an E mount yet, the 24mm f/1.4, or the 24mm f/3.5 TS.

Anyone use any of these on the A7 cameras?

Sep 04, 2014 at 02:23 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Don't know about the TS, I just returned my Rokinon 14 E-mount to Amazon. All of the Rokinon I have tried had mis-alignment in the focus ring so the infinity focus was way off. They're exactly the same as the DSLR version so you can read the reviews. Personally I just don't like the build and found they are a little low on contrast.

Sep 04, 2014 at 02:40 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Have you tried any of the Voigtlander lenses such as the 15mm? Maybe I'll just pick up the FE 35 until the FE 16-35 is released.

Sep 04, 2014 at 02:53 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Weasel_Loader wrote:
Have you tried any of the Voigtlander lenses such as the 15mm? Maybe I'll just pick up the FE 35 until the FE 16-35 is released.

Yes, I have the CV 15 (and as a matter of fact I'm selling it on FM right now). I also have the ZM 15. If you want these UWA for astrophotography, you can check out my recent post on FM for this very subject taken with the ZM:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/459#12535343

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/474#12550493

Overall, the CV is just a notch below the ZM 15 across the frame, might be a tiny sharper closer to the edge depending on how you zone focus.

Sep 04, 2014 at 03:05 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

Sep 04, 2014 at 03:20 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Weasel,

You could of course by a Samyang for another mount, and then use an adapter...results are typically perfect (manual focus, but that's all the Samyang is anyway, right?). I do this with my Nex-6 and Nikon lenses.

The reduced flange distance of mirrorless, which allows folks to use virtually any lens from any manufacturer with any mirrorless body, is a huge selling point and great fun.

Sep 04, 2014 at 04:06 PM
Bluffer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

The Samyang 14/2.8 is made in E-mount but I'd recommend having it in another mount and using a Rayqual adapter.

I have it in Pentax-K mount and it's incredible on the A7r.

Just make sure you get it from a place you can return it to. I was lucky and got a good one first time round but plenty of reports out there of soft/misaligned copies.

Highly recommended.

On top of this you need the Adobe lens profile to sort out the complex moustache distortion. Two are available via the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader. There's one for Nikon and one for Canon and both work very well.

So now we have an ultra sharp ultra wide angle ultra cheap with in my opinion no issues at all. Flare resistance is incredible for a UWA and the colours are vivid near intense!

Love it.

Sep 04, 2014 at 04:14 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Samyang does make and E mount version of the 14 mm F2.8 that is available at B&H. I just read somewhere that there also on sale for $298, probably on eBay. I use it with my A7R and have tested it against my Nikon 14-24 before selling the Nikon. For the money the Samyang is incredible and was just as sharp as the Nikon except at F2 .8 on the edges. here's a test shot done with the 14 mm. The only problem with the lenses it has some pretty bad distortion but is totally correctable with a program called PTlens which is $25.

Sep 04, 2014 at 04:18 PM
Bluffer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

dennishh wrote:
Samyang does make and E mount version of the 14 mm F2.8 that is available at B&H. I just read somewhere that there also on sale for $298, probably on eBay. I use it with my A7R and have tested it against my Nikon 14-24 before selling the Nikon. For the money the Samyang is incredible and was just as sharp as the Nikon except at F2 .8 on the edges. here's a test shot done with the 14 mm. The only problem with the lenses it has some pretty bad distortion but is totally correctable with a program called
...Show more

Download this . . .

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5492

Have a look under Canon and also Nikon, you'll find the custom profiles for the Sammy.

Sep 04, 2014 at 04:24 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

The sale was on Amazon, that's where I got my Rokinon. For astro, it's definitely among the best.
FWIW, the Samyang could barely match the ZM WO after stopping down to f/5.6.

dennishh wrote:
Samyang does make and E mount version of the 14 mm F2.8 that is available at B&H. I just read somewhere that there also on sale for $298, probably on eBay. I use it with my A7R and have tested it against my Nikon 14-24 before selling the Nikon. For the money the Samyang is incredible and was just as sharp as the Nikon except at F2 .8 on the edges. here's a test shot done with the 14 mm. The only problem with the lenses it has some pretty bad distortion but is totally correctable with a program called
...Show more

Sep 04, 2014 at 04:45 PM
Bluffer
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Could be a dodgy copy. If you get a good one this lens defies economic physics. It's a fifth of the the price of the Nikkor 14-24 too!!!

hiepphotog wrote:
The sale was on Amazon, that's where I got my Rokinon. For astro, it's definitely among the best.
FWIW, the Samyang could barely match the ZM WO after stopping down to f/5.6.

Sep 04, 2014 at 04:52 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Thanks for all the help folks.

Over the next few days, I'm going to look at the Samy 14/2.8, CV 21/1.8, and Zeiss ZM 21/2.8.

Even with the nice ISO capabilities of the A7s, I'd like the faster 2.8 or 1.8 lens and the CV and Zeiss draw me in for their compact size, which was one of my main reasons to get into the Sony system over my previous Nikon setup.

Thanks a bunch!

Sep 04, 2014 at 04:52 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Thanks, I did download it but for some unknown reason won't accept my password.I'm going to try on a windows 7 machine, good old windows 8.1 is probably the culprit. I'm hoping that Zeiss comes out with a 15mm Loxia which undoubtedly would be much better at F2.8 but for only $350 the samyang is really great. I don't use the lens for astrophotography or basically anything it 2.8 just F8 most the time.

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:05 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Weasel_Loader wrote:
Thanks for all the help folks.

Over the next few days, I'm going to look at the Samy 14/2.8, CV 21/1.8, and Zeiss ZM 21/2.8.

Even with the nice ISO capabilities of the A7s, I'd like the faster 2.8 or 1.8 lens and the CV and Zeiss draw me in for their compact size, which was one of my main reasons to get into the Sony system over my previous Nikon setup.

Thanks a bunch!

Weasel, you might not want to waste your time with the ZM 21, it smeared quite readily. I believe the CV 21 has quite noticeable coma WO. I would highly recommend the Samyang 24/1.4. It scored the highest on lonelyspeck.com (and his rating makes sense to me) in term of FOV, coma performance and sharpness. Astrophotography is a tough test for a lot of lenses. Both of the Samy are head and shoulder above most in this regard (I guess because they traded high distortion for that).

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:20 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Bluffer wrote:
Could be a dodgy copy. If you get a good one this lens defies economic physics. It's a fifth of the the price of the Nikkor 14-24 too!!!

Unlikely since this is the 5th copy I have tried. It has the most consistent sharpness across the frame (i.e. least de-centering, major problem with these Samyang). Just take your Samyang for an infinity shot in bright day light at WO. It glows quite readily, and the resolution is not that great. The thing is the Zeiss definitely can't compete with the Samyang outside of the central area (and I blame the damn Sony sensor stack).

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:23 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

hiepphotog wrote:
Weasel, you might not want to waste your time with the ZM 21, it smeared quite readily. I believe the CV 21 has quite noticeable coma WO. I would highly recommend the Samyang 24/1.4. It scored the highest on lonelyspeck.com (and his rating makes sense to me) in term of FOV, coma performance and sharpness. Astrophotography is a tough test for a lot of lenses. Both of the Samy are head and shoulder above most in this regard (I guess because they traded high distortion for that).

Thanks for the heads up. I did read through lonelyspeck.com a few days ago, and I remember him mentioning the Samy 24/1.4. Its rather big on the A7 body, but I guess since I'd be using mostly for astrophotgraphy, the size isn't as big an issue. Thanks again for the advice.

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:27 PM
Bluffer
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Here's another link for Sammy 14mm lens profiles . . .

http://www.svenstork.com/essays/rokinon-14mm-lightroom-lens-profile/

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Bluffer
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

hiepphotog wrote:
Unlikely since this is the 5th copy I have tried. It has the most consistent sharpness across the frame (i.e. least de-centering, major problem with these Samyang). Just take your Samyang for an infinity shot in bright day light at WO. It glows quite readily, and the resolution is not that great. The thing is the Zeiss definitely can't compete with the Samyang outside of the central area (and I blame the damn Sony sensor stack).

I'll take it out over the weekend again, but so far I'm amazed by this lens. I have the Sigma 8-16 and Pentax 15/4 Limited on the K-3 and this smokes 'em.

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Bluffer
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

This is what real photographers (unlike myself) achieve with the Samyang 14/2.8 and the A7r . . .

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=samyang%2014mm%20a7r

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:48 PM
Bluffer
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samyang wide lenses with A7s

Just as a last post on this topic from me as I know I'm banging on, but is there really £1000+ difference to be had here?

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/14mm-F2.8-IF-ED-MC-Aspherical-Nikon-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Zeiss-Carl-Zeiss-Distagon-T-15mm-F28-ZF2-Nikon-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-14-24mm-F28G-ED-on-Nikon-D800E___366_814_930_814_813_814

Sep 04, 2014 at 06:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.