FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

sebboh wrote:
no, the original contax rangefinder lens. i believe there are some post war jena ones too?

i actually want the contarex one, just because i would like at least one contarex lens and that is the only one of interest for me...

in all seriousness, you should just get a j9.

I bid on the Contarex recently but it never made minimum so did not sell. I think buy it now was something like $1500. Like you say, the Contax seems to be as much as the Nikkor and it seems they don't show up as often or in as nice condition.

I have read too many poor Jupiter 9 experiences that I'm sure I would end up with a poor sample. Seems the earlier ones are better with regard to sample variation but those are also the ones in the worst shape. For what they are going for these days, I will likely just grab the Nikkor at some point to try for the fun of it. The non Sonnar Canon 1.9's are cheaper which is why I am curious about them.

Sep 05, 2014 at 02:40 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

rscheffler wrote:
I've only tried this and the Canon 50/1.4 LTM from this era of Canon rangefinder lenses, and have been impressed with both for the reasons you noted. The 50 exhibits similar characteristics, IMO. It too is very sharp once stopped down.

I do feel that both consistently trend to the cooler side of WB compared to other lenses I've shot against them. Their saturation is also a bit muted, but perhaps it's unfair to compare them against modern glass for this characteristic.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Ron, what I have found with the color after shooting a color checker in the studio and a white card for color vignetting correction is that my copy is slightly warm in the center(100K warmer with a very slight magenta cast measured off a color checker) compared to some of my other Pentax SMC and Minolta MC/MD lenses. There is a blue/cyan drift outside of the center when focused at infinity. Here is a central neutralized white card shot under strobe showing the drift with the lens set at infinity and F8. It's enough of a drift that images
...Show more

Thanks for the info. Maybe my recollection of a cooler color quality is actually for that of the 50/1.4, now that I think about it more. I've shot the 50 against the Nikkor 5cm/1.4 and old Summarit 5cm/1.5 and when tweaking DNGs in LR, the Canon files were always colder when all were set to the same WB.

My 35/2 is serial # 361XX and generally seems to be in pretty good shape. Maybe it's not as old as I've thought? I've heard these, or maybe it's many of the Canon LTMs, are relatively fragile and don't fare well if they get gummed up. It certainly doesn't seem as well made as an old Leitz, Zeiss, Nikkor.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:46 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

LightShow wrote:
I've had some good results from the older silver 35/2.8 on the A7r.
I also picked up the silver 28/2.8, it has heavy vignetting, and some color shift, it seems sharp. I assume it would work better on the A7s.
I'm not impressed with the silver 50/1.8, I don't mind because my Topcor-s 50/2 looks the same but is in another league for sharpness.
The 100/3.5 is sharp enough, but it's main advantage is it's tiny, it's smaller than my Super Rokkor 85/2.8

I would be interested in seeing images from the 28/2.8. Have you posted any around here? The 100/3.5 is a lens I'd also like to try. I've also contemplated the 35/1.5, but often they're up there in price and might just instead put that money towards a 35 Lux pre-ASPH.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:49 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

rscheffler wrote:
My 35/2 is serial # 361XX and generally seems to be in pretty good shape. Maybe it's not as old as I've thought? I've heard these, or maybe it's many of the Canon LTMs, are relatively fragile and don't fare well if they get gummed up. It certainly doesn't seem as well made as an old Leitz, Zeiss, Nikkor.

Another way to get a rough idea of the age is the if the lens is labled "Canon Camera Co.,Inc." or simply "Canon" around the front ring. The first one is much earlier, some say a version 1 (but I'm not positive about that).

I have read many accounts of looseness/ play in the mechanicals of this particular lens. Some claim it can be tightened up somehow but I don' know. I get the impression the tolerances are just not as fine/close compared to a few others, particularly Leitz. It doesnt appear to affect the optical quality.

Sep 05, 2014 at 10:18 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I bid on the Contarex recently but it never made minimum so did not sell. I think buy it now was something like $1500. Like you say, the Contax seems to be as much as the Nikkor and it seems they don't show up as often or in as nice condition.

doh! i bid on that one too...

Sep 06, 2014 at 12:16 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

rscheffler wrote:
I would be interested in seeing images from the 28/2.8. Have you posted any around here? The 100/3.5 is a lens I'd also like to try. I've also contemplated the 35/1.5, but often they're up there in price and might just instead put that money towards a 35 Lux pre-ASPH.

Sorry, nothing from the 28 is online, wasn't worth the effort, it's a good lens with good reputation, but not on the A7r, oh well, maybe on a camera like A7s.
From flickr: https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Canon+ltm+28%2F2.8

I do have a few shots from the 100/3.5 on my NEX-7 here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/canonltm10035/

Sep 06, 2014 at 01:38 AM
roboticspro
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

Tariq,

Check your PM's; I made you an offer that you should not refuse...

Edd

Sep 06, 2014 at 05:14 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

roboticspro wrote:
Tariq,

Check your PM's; I made you an offer that you should not refuse...

Edd

Thanks very much!

Sep 06, 2014 at 05:46 PM
roboticspro
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

Tariq,

Your welcome and no worries!

Regards,

Edd

Sep 06, 2014 at 06:27 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Another way to get a rough idea of the age is the if the lens is labled "Canon Camera Co.,Inc." or simply "Canon" around the front ring. The first one is much earlier, some say a version 1 (but I'm not positive about that).

I have read many accounts of looseness/ play in the mechanicals of this particular lens. Some claim it can be tightened up somehow but I don' know. I get the impression the tolerances are just not as fine/close compared to a few others, particularly Leitz. It doesnt appear to affect the optical quality.

My canon RF lenses are as we'll made as any RF lens I've used, just make sure it's had a CLA if if the focus is stiff or sloppy.
As for their age, this is a good source:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/s/19-35.html

Sep 06, 2014 at 06:40 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 35/2 LTM on A7r & Fuji X-A1

LightShow wrote:
My canon RF lenses are as we'll made as any RF lens I've used, just make sure it's had a CLA if if the focus is stiff or sloppy.
As for their age, this is a good source:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/s/19-35.html

On my copy the focus feels fine - no play nor stiffness. The play/ looseness is actually between the outer lens barrel and the mount (hold the front of the lens barrel and the rear of the lens mount and there is a little back and forth play. I'll probably go ahead and get a CLA at some point anyway. I'm sure my repiar guy will fix whatever is causing the play.

The Canon Museum only lists when the lenses were originally marketed as far as I can tell, which dosen't really help with identifig the exact age of a lens that was sold for a decade or so.

Sep 06, 2014 at 07:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.