Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wide angles at games

JimBowman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wide angles at games

I am going to shoot a few angles and experiment with using a wide angle lens at the games. Probably be limited to before the game, halftime, and possibly after the game.

So with that being said does anyone else out there have suggestions for wide angle shots at the night football games that they have had good results? Working with a single body here so time will be tight for swapping lenses around and being ready for the game.

I have already seen a few really creative uses with a wide angle lens at games so I am pretty excited to see what I can come up with here =)

--Jim

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:06 AM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wide angles at games

Are you talking about action or environmental shots?

Not much you can do action wise, but you can have fun with it for everything else. One thing I did last year for the paper was to get wide shots of the cheerleaders jump roping with the line for their sign.

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:09 AM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wide angles at games

Mostly environmental with limited action. My 70-200 is definitely the action lens during the game. I was thinking shots of the stands, a wide shot of the field, cheerleaders, sidelines, coin toss.

It would be awesome to get a shot of the field from above the press box as the sun is setting but the sun usually sets in the middle of the 2nd quarter of the game. I am really just looking for new and creative ways to capture the game and surroundings.

I totally agree that I will just have fun with it and see what shakes out in the end =)

Sep 04, 2014 at 09:39 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wide angles at games

A fisheye on a monopod over the huddle before the game is always a cool shot.

A low shot of players running out of the tunnel.....

Climb to the top of the stadium (once filled) and do a pano of the place, if the sun is setting this can be even cooler.

Sep 04, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wide angles at games

JimBowman wrote:
It would be awesome to get a shot of the field from above the press box as the sun is setting but the sun usually sets in the middle of the 2nd quarter of the game. I am really just looking for new and creative ways to capture the game and surroundings.

Don't be afraid to walk away from the action for a few minutes. If there are amazing clouds, a nice sunset ect..... it would be worth it to walk up and get a pano. At the end of the day you have to look at what you would miss? A huge play? That assumes you are in the right spot, see it coming and grab the shot ect......

Sep 04, 2014 at 11:30 AM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wide angles at games

All awesome suggestions/ideas thanks very much Trev!

Sep 04, 2014 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.