New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Odd SmugMug experience

dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Odd SmugMug experience

I've been using SmugMug for maybe 8 or 9 years, and have never had the slightest issue with their services, until last week. I wanted to post a pic to another forum, but when I went to access my SmugMug account, I noticed the vast majority of my image galleries were absent from my home page. There were only eight or so galleries remaining, out of maybe 70+. To say the least, I was quite shocked.

I emailed SmugMug and one of their "support heroes" responded in just several minutes. He said he would restore the galleries, and that I had likely deleted them by accident. I was just leaving home for work, so I assumed all was OK, without checking.

A few days later I accessed my site again, but only a few galleries had been restored. Emailed a "hero", and this time was told that the missing galleries could never be restored, again with a reminder that I had deleted them in the first place. I knew I hadn't deleted them, and told the "hero" as much. After all, why would I delete anything when I've got unlimited storage available? Not sure what to think, I slept on it, and the next day emailed SmugMug again, hoping for a different result. This message also mentioned that I would like to cancel my account and receive a refund if the galleries could not be restored. I stated that I had lost all trust in their services and could no longer be their customer.

Minutes later I received an email and all the galleries were restored. The "hero" stated he had "EMPTIED CACHE", whatever that means, but when I asked why this wasn't done after my previous emails, he had no reply.

Anyone else have something similar happen with SmugMug? A google search didn't reveal much, but I did see some similar issues mentioned in SmugMug's own forums. How much time would it have taken for my galleries to have been permanently lost, if perhaps I hadn't checked my site for a while? I really have lost confidence in SmugMug, and it's time to start looking for an alternative.

Sep 03, 2014 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.