1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Tipping Point

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Tipping Point

andrewsk wrote:
In preparing for a critique in this or any studio art class, it is at least as important to determine what you want or need from the critique.

Indeed. For some posted images I don't respond because I have no idea where to begin and no feel for what the poster wants. If an image is highly unusual, is it a bad snapshot from a beginner or a carefully executed composition from someone who knows the basics and consciously intends to "break the rules" for some reason? The proper critiques would be very different. For the first, the critique ought to help the poster understand and master the basics. For the second, the critique should address how well the photographer seems to achieve his objective and maybe offer suggestions how to better do so. For many of the regulars I may hazard a guess at intent, for new posters, I may not have a clue.

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:19 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Tipping Point

pliukait wrote:
... Even if I can't go back to the same location, I can use the thought for another location. Just having it at the back of my mind while composing would be helpful.

Exactly, Pete! When a teacher critiqued my images at University and when anyone critiqued my photographs in the camera club I attended back in the day, that was the purpose - to help folks sharpen and refine their skills and vision for future images. True, if they critiqued the darkroom processing, we could go back and re-print, but most critiques were just help for improving future images.

Sep 05, 2014 at 06:39 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Tipping Point

DianeinCR wrote:
Several have mentioned that a checklist wouldn't work for them. I wonder if that response is based on their desire to not speak to each aspect of someone's work? If they prefer to only speak to what they feel comfortable with already? Or if it is that they do not wish to receive feedback on all aspects of the work that they post?

Lastly, is the forum meant to be a place for people to come and get some feedback from the "experts"? Or it is meant to be a place where everyone comes to grow together?

Checklists imply a formula for critiquing. Elsewhere I probably annoyed some people by disagreeing with Ben's checklist point by point. I don't suggest such ideas can't often be right or useful, but they can also be impractical, not feasible and inappropriate sometimes. To fully flesh a checklist driven critique could be difficult and too time consuming. My intuition fears current posters would tire and lose interest after a few attempts, if any. New folks might feel confident because they had a checklist to follow, but after a few critiques and they too would tire of the effort required.

This isn't a forum reserved for feedback from "experts". Anyone with something helpful to add is most welcome to add it. More importantly, a creating a critique is a great learning tool. The creating a meaningful critique is one of the best ways to improve your clarity of vision and help build your visual understanding and skills. There was an expressing in Old English, if I recall correctly, that translates into modern English as: "I discovered myself unto him." The act of trying to explain something is often the best or only way to discover what it means. The critiques I've made here have greatly helped me improve my photography!

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:21 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Tipping Point

I've been thinking of checklists a bunch lately, both here and for my engineering work

I think a "checklist" here is not the right term. I think "list of things to consider" is more appropriate. The list is good. I think the general feeling from a lot of the posts is that some of things are appropriate some of the times, but they are not all appropriate all of the time. It's definitely worth it consider the ideas, but they shouldn't be required.

Sep 05, 2014 at 09:34 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.