New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Critique Please

pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Critique Please

While going through some older photos I found this one, and was practicing with my new to me Lightroom 5. It's a bit of a post card, but is there something else I should do now or should have done when composing that would improve things?

Thanks for your comments & critiques.

Sep 03, 2014 at 10:32 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Critique Please

I would love this without any hand of man included. Lose the road and sign and it would be much better. This shot is good for the family album because it reminds you where you were. But for the wall you could have walked to the other side of the sign and pointed up a bit to cut out the road.

For real drama sunrise of sunset might help.

Sep 03, 2014 at 10:41 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Critique Please

Hi Ben, thanks for your comments, I appreciate your input..

I agree a sunset or sunrise would be better, the next time I head out there I'll have to make the timings better.

Here's one from a different angle that doesn't have the man-made objects, although I like the angles better in the first one.

Sep 03, 2014 at 11:16 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Critique Please

The comp and yellow trees do add something to the first and the dead trees detract from the second. I still think just a shot from in front of the sign would be my favorite.

Sep 03, 2014 at 11:21 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Critique Please

Thanks, Ben. Now I REALLY want to see how the shot looks in front of the sign!

In the second shot I kinda dig how the vertical trees pulls the eyes up to the mountain as well as frame/buffer the eyes from escaping the frame.

You Canucks have some killer vistas up there!

Jeff

Sep 03, 2014 at 12:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Critique Please

beavens wrote:

In the second shot I kinda dig how the vertical trees pulls the eyes up to the mountain as well as frame/buffer the eyes from escaping the frame.

Jeff

There are folks here who could probably clone it out, but not me.

Sep 03, 2014 at 12:29 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Critique Please

beavens wrote:

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, you Yanks have some great vistas as well, nothing to slouch at!

I'm gonna need to make a trip to get the shot in front that sign, it's about 3800km (2300 miles) from my house.

Sep 03, 2014 at 05:14 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Critique Please

FWIW I really like them both. I'll offer a nit, that the first might benefit from a little more foreground leading into the heart of the scene. But that's a total nit. Statements about how it might be better at sunrise or sunset or a different season or a different set of clouds or with a herd of elk in the foreground or a grizzly bear or whatever are just silly. They're great.

keith

Sep 03, 2014 at 06:04 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Critique Please

Thanks Keith for taking the time to look. For the first shot, the foreground is just a parking lot. As Ben & Jeff has mentioned, I should have gotten a shot in front of the sign.

Thanks and regards.....Pete

Sep 04, 2014 at 08:26 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Critique Please

Pete - since you posted in the other thread... here's my future composition suggestion

Agree with the suggestions to get one without the sign...

But with the sign/goat - the goat makes an interesting focal point, but it doesn't stand out because it's partially against the mountain and partially against the trees. If it was all against the trees, then it would stand out. If it was just against the mountain, it'd be like a hidden feature.

Looks like a beauty of an area. I like the second shot too.

Sep 04, 2014 at 01:49 PM
andrewsk
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Critique Please

Pete,

I think that the processing you did in LR 5 looks fine. If your intention was to take a "postcard" shot as you said, then I think you did a fine job.

If I can expand on what the others have said re positioning as you seem open to ideas about the "next" time you visit this wonderful place.

When you revisit this place, go further than moving around the sign (which is a great first step.)

Here is what is behind the sign in image 1.

If you google mount robson park, you will literally see pages and pages of the exact image you shot here. Even the second image you posted, shows up multiple times in multiple seasons suggesting that it was taken from a car stop or the same place.

My suggestion is go way beyond that sign and try to find images of Mt Robson that are unique to you.

When shooting a Landscape try to think in terms of a foreground, a middle and a background and ensure you have all 3 with something interesting in each. There appears to be a lake nearby. Go there and try your own take on something like image 2.

These are not my images, but they should give you the idea I am pushing at.

I hope that is not to presumptive

Sep 04, 2014 at 02:01 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Critique Please

FarmerJohn wrote:
Pete - since you posted in the other thread... here's my future composition suggestion

Agree with the suggestions to get one without the sign...

But with the sign/goat - the goat makes an interesting focal point, but it doesn't stand out because it's partially against the mountain and partially against the trees. If it was all against the trees, then it would stand out. If it was just against the mountain, it'd be like a hidden feature.

Looks like a beauty of an area. I like the second shot too.

Now that's interesting, putting the goat in the trees or in the mountain. I never really noticed that is was almost perfectly half and half. And the slope of it's back matches the slope of that hill. It would fill in nicely there.

John, thanks for comments.

Regards.....Pete

Sep 04, 2014 at 02:27 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Critique Please

andrewsk wrote:
Pete,

I think that the processing you did in LR 5 looks fine. If your intention was to take a "postcard" shot as you said, then I think you did a fine job.

If I can expand on what the others have said re positioning as you seem open to ideas about the "next" time you visit this wonderful place.

When you revisit this place, go further than moving around the sign (which is a great first step.)

Here is what is behind the sign in image 1.

If you google mount robson park, you will literally see pages and pages of the exact
...Show more

Keith, you are right, the shots are from a viewing area at the visitors centre.
I definitely need another visit to the area, and do a little exploring.

Thanks for the comments.

Sep 04, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Critique Please

I think the shots are both "great" in as much as they convey the perspective accurately, have proper exposure, composition is ok with me etc.

I think what's key here, and with every other picture ever taken is this:

What is the point or purpose of the shot? What is it that YOU want to achieve with the shot?

Without knowing that or some semblance of it I'm not sure how good my critique or anyone else's can be.

Who am I to critique an accurately exposed, decently composed shot that captures a time and place YOU were at?

If your goal was a postcard image-then I think it's great. I don't think there's anything wrong with postcards personally. And a personally taken postcard is even better. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with a postcard image honestly. Because it's cliché? 9 out of 10 pictures are cliché on one level or another aren't they-lol?

Now, if you said "how do these shots work as unique representations of Mt. Robson? Wellll....then we could have a discussion I guess. As someone pointed out-there are thousands of images from similar perspectives as yours. That doesn't make them "bad" just "routine".

Honestly, only you can answer your own question (at least in this case I think). As far as Composition, exposure/focus, and processing I don't see a problem with them at all.

Sep 04, 2014 at 05:21 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.