New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · I need your advice.

AFphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need your advice.

I have been doing doing photography for about 6 years now. The last 3 years have involved many paid gigs from portrait sessions and weddings to real estate. Photography is a side hobby/job that I do in addition to my full-time job as a Radiology Technologist. Lately I have been completely burned out. My creativity seems to be lacking and I have been having a hard time coping with the constant demands of this field. I have a true passion for the art and I really enjoy doing it when I'm not overwhelmed with it. Ive turned down a couple weddings and multiple portrait sessions in the last couple weeks because I need to figure out how to get a better balance of work and play. Any advice would be great. At this point I am really considering hanging it up but I have a feeling I will be giving up a great passion. Thanks

Sep 03, 2014 at 09:37 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need your advice.

If you don't need the money, then cut back on the paid gigs. Focus on free shoots in which you get to create the kind of art that you're passionate about. Once you start developing a portfolio like that, people may hire you to do the types of shoots that you're passionate about. The reason you're burned out is that you're doing shoots that you don't really want to be doing. Stop accepting those!

If you need the money, then it's a different story.

Sep 03, 2014 at 09:54 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need your advice.

Ron speaks the truth. If you don't have to do it, step back a little bit.

I've done a few things in the past few years that, at least for the 5 years I've gone head first into the wedding/portrait industry, have kept me sane.

1. Do fun shoots. For you. I called a model a few months ago and met her at 7am in an abandoned reservoir to shoot her. It was so excited, and it was just for me and for her portfolio. No rushed wedding timelines. No screaming kids and pissed off parents. Just me.

2. Buy some fun equipment. Over the years I've bought a few pieces of equipment that might have been necessary, but were simply fun purchases. This includes - Nikon 17-35 f/2.8, Nikon 16mm fisheye, Nikon MC-36A Multi-Function Remote Cord, and some film equipment.

Years ago it was a fisheye lens. I never use that lens, except at the one wedding a year when I really need it. But man, it's fun to play with. More recently, I bought a Fuji Instax Mini camera and ordered some instant film for it. Sure, I take it to weddings and hand out a few instant prints. But it's fun to just take pictures of my wife and son around the house with it. And it was cheap. $149 + $50 for film.

3. Shoot some film. If you're old enough to remember film, this will bring you back to your roots. You can pick up a Nikon FG, or Canon AE-1 for $75 or $100. Maybe less. Pick one lens, and toss in a roll of film. Limit yourself to that one roll, and that one lens, and go make some magic. It'll push your limits, and drive your creativity.

I've been working a full time day job (M-F, 8-5) while doing photography for the last 5 years. This year we have 25 weddings on the books. And it's insanely stressful. Add to that engagement sessions, portrait sessions, meetings, album design, editing, and most of my weeks I'm lucky to have a total of 5-6 hours of unscheduled non-work time. But this is just a season for me right now as we aim to remodel our kitchen and get my wife to be a stay at home mom.

With that said, you can balance it. But it takes a lot of hard work. You likely make pretty darn good money doing what your doing at a Radiology tech, so I wouldn't give that up. But you can definitely add some income and have fun while shooting. Only take on what you can handle. And know your limits.

Sep 03, 2014 at 12:11 PM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need your advice.

Hire an assistant/second-shooter/neighbor-type *cough, cough, ahem* to do whatever, field calls, edit photos, carry stuff, someone reliable with a generally flexible schedule, without a lot of drama, who won't add to your stress I don't know, i'm just brainstorming. Or a camera geek with a completely different system (Canon). It may be the Nikon gear that's holding you back .

Yeah, either that or maybe cut back on the gigs. Maybe raise your prices a bit, which will cut down on some clientele, thus the gigs, but could get you more net profit/gain for your work.

Sep 03, 2014 at 12:40 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need your advice.

friscoron wrote:
If you don't need the money, then cut back on the paid gigs. Focus on free shoots in which you get to create the kind of art that you're passionate about. Once you start developing a portfolio like that, people may hire you to do the types of shoots that you're passionate about. The reason you're burned out is that you're doing shoots that you don't really want to be doing. Stop accepting those!

+100
couldn't have said it better.

Sep 03, 2014 at 08:15 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need your advice.

What Ron said.

Sep 03, 2014 at 10:37 PM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need your advice.

friscoron wrote:

This is a very good idea! So for example: I love to do bridals and engagements. What do I do when the couple comes back to me a year or two later and wants me to do family pictures (which aren't my favorite)? I feel like I need to do them because they have shown me loyalty and truly insist that I do them. This is a very common situation.

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:02 PM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I need your advice.

tele_pathic wrote:
Hire an assistant/second-shooter/neighbor-type *cough, cough, ahem* to do whatever, field calls, edit photos, carry stuff, someone reliable with a generally flexible schedule, without a lot of drama, who won't add to your stress I don't know, i'm just brainstorming. Or a camera geek with a completely different system (Canon). It may be the Nikon gear that's holding you back .

Yeah, either that or maybe cut back on the gigs. Maybe raise your prices a bit, which will cut down on some clientele, thus the gigs, but could get you more net profit/gain for your work.

How are you tele? I've been meaning to message you and see how you are liking the house!

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:03 PM
AFphotography
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I need your advice.

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Ron speaks the truth. If you don't have to do it, step back a little bit.

I've done a few things in the past few years that, at least for the 5 years I've gone head first into the wedding/portrait industry, have kept me sane.

1. Do fun shoots. For you. I called a model a few months ago and met her at 7am in an abandoned reservoir to shoot her. It was so excited, and it was just for me and for her portfolio. No rushed wedding timelines. No screaming kids and pissed off parents. Just me.

2. Buy some fun equipment.
...Show more

A bunch of really great ideas! I appreciate your time to write this. My wife also works a couple days a week and I would love for her to no longer need to work. I was hoping that photography+radiology would answer that question but I'm having a hard time charging what I need in order for that to happen. I feel like my skills are ok and my customer service is good but my market is very frugal. So I guess that goes into my next question.. How do I charge what I need and stay busy?

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I need your advice.

The best thing that ever happened to my photography was probably quitting the business. I have much more fun now, at least.

Sep 05, 2014 at 05:09 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I need your advice.

I've been taking pictures for over 50 years now. I've never gotten burned out, but I do go through periods where I don't pick up a camera for a week or so. You just need to vary what you shoot. Once in a while I'll do some macro, flowers, and especially birds at the feeder. I really enjoy the fall when the leaves change around here. I don't really do people except for family as we have two young grand children. I don't do street photography unless it is an outdoor old car show which happens twice a year here. Just try different things once in a while.

Sep 06, 2014 at 05:57 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I need your advice.

AFphotography wrote:
This is a very good idea! So for example: I love to do bridals and engagements. What do I do when the couple comes back to me a year or two later and wants me to do family pictures (which aren't my favorite)? I feel like I need to do them because they have shown me loyalty and truly insist that I do them. This is a very common situation.

You thank them for checking in with you, but let them know that you don't shoot family sessions. It's really as simple as that. If you're really nice about it, they won't be upset. You may want to keep a family photographer on hand, and you can refer that photog to them.

Another consideration is to double your prices, or more, for your family sessions. If you're trying to work it out so your wife doesn't have to work at all, then doing these shoots for considerably more money might help take the misery out of it.

Sep 06, 2014 at 07:08 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I need your advice.

AFphotography wrote:
How are you tele? I've been meaning to message you and see how you are liking the house!

We're doing well. Finally got the majority of boxes unpacked. This week I've been setting up my studio, headed to the park in the 'hood (I forget what it's called) to shoot some kid pics. You're welcome to join us.

Like Ron said, if a family returned for more pics, I'd raise my prices. Yes, we have a very frugal market (a very kind way to say cheap) that doesn't really value our particular skill set, but that's probably every market. Srsly!

Sep 06, 2014 at 09:22 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.