Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

stafri2

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

Hello everyone! I write here first and foremost that I am my own worst critic and am wanting some external suggestions for my photos. I've only just recently pieced together some starter equipment and am already having a lot of fun shooting HS Football is muggy Mississippi.

Body: Nikon D7100
Lens: Mostly, 80-200mm 2.8 or an 35-70 2.8
Flash: None

Please visit my page at www.liveshotphoto.com and follow the link to my smugmug account. There you will see the pictures.

Thanks!

Sep 03, 2014 at 02:48 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

Welcome Richard. You will likely receive a lot more feedback if you post pictures directly rather than a link to your site. Lots of great football shooters here to provide feedback but you have to make it easy for them.

Sep 03, 2014 at 03:03 AM
JimBowman

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

I can only give you my limited experience here after a year and a half of shooting and learning a ton of painful lessons.

It appears you are following a particular team or shooting for a particular team. If this is the case and you are marketing your photos to that team you want to capture their faces inside the helmets. Backside shots are generally not very popular with the parents, family, and friends. Occasionally they can be good but most often they want to see the faces inside the helmets as best as possible.

The overhead shots at a wide angle are good but you want to give them something they can't get which is up close in your face sharp action shot (or cropped tight). I generally stay away from B&W photos in football because it makes it difficult in some circumstances to tell teams apart. Portrait style (kids with their parents or friends it works).

Generally I stay 10-15 yards ahead of the team I am shooting with the offense and defense facing me. I am almost always closer to 200mm than I am to 70mm just to get the tight shots. I am sure the 35-70 may have some limited use on the field/sidelines/cheerleaders but on the field I would suggest just sticking with the 80-200.

Now this is just my personal taste but I would try and get as close to true color on the images as possible. If your artistic vision for the photos is to put filters on the images in post that's your call and your style. I occasionally intentionally vignette the images on the edges but aside from that I like the colors to represent the actual colors as closely as possible.

I would probably take a few images you like best from your shots and post them here to get more constructive criticism. Most people don't mind providing feedback I would just make it as easy as possible to do that for them to get the best results. Hopefully some of this was helpful. In the end I am of the opinion everyone sees things their own way and it all boils down to what type of product you are trying to deliver.

--Jim

Sep 03, 2014 at 03:44 AM
Carlos Salcedo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

Best tip I ever got for football was this: Shoot tight. Crop tighter. Edit Tightest.

The second best tip I ever got from one of my editors was: No one wants to see pictures of grass. Get rid of it.

If you are limited to a 70(80)-200mm lens then I would stick that sucker on 200mm and stay there the whole time. That will force you to move and compose with your position. There are very few images that are really really good that were taken on the low end of that lens but the best images were taken on the higher end with as much as the background OOF due to the limited DOF.

Kill the background!!! Either put some air between the background and your subject or shoot wide open to get some/most of it out of focus.

Sep 03, 2014 at 02:49 PM
manhattan

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

Hey, just a comment on your site if I may. The pictures look great, but difficult to navigate through. I had a similar issue with my site as well and went to this format. www.hopewellphotos.com very easy to organize.

Sep 03, 2014 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

iamapt

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

Catch the eyes...everything else will take care of itself

Sep 07, 2014 at 06:19 PM
iamapt

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

Catch the eyes...everything else will take care of itself

Sep 07, 2014 at 06:19 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

Some fundamentals I tell myself when heading out is shoot low, eyes of the player, ball, tight as i can get. It doesn't always work out that way, but...

I would suggest trying to borrow or rent a longer lens just for the experience. You'll be more restricted at 200. Maybe even a teleconverter for the early part of a night game, at least until the clock changes.

Sep 07, 2014 at 08:28 PM
Mark Peters
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New To Football Photography...suggestions please.

I'll skip the sideline advice and jump to the business side. You should really consider locking down your site. You have enabled viewing without watermarks up to size x-large 3. On a decent size monitor I can do a screen print and make good 11x14's off of these, let alone clean screen grabs for Facebook. (Yes I realize kids are going to do it anyway, but if they do, I want my website address prominently displayed) If your intent is to make sales, this really is a must. I would recommend limiting the maximum view size to medium and to put together a basic watermark.
This is the type of watermark I'm using - it's not so obtrusive that they can't see the image but it is very difficult to remove completely and the website address is easily seen.

You also appear to have every print option available enabled. If it sells that's great, but my experience suggests narrowing the offers drives better sales.

I also agree with the advice above to delete the nothing but butts and backs shots.

Sep 09, 2014 at 03:11 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password