Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

BillyHurst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

Last night after the Cardinals game I had an AWESOME hockey action/portrait shoot. My idea coming in was to get a spray shot, slap shot follow through and some posed portraits, but I wanted to black the background out with my camera and lights, not use anything artificial. Many thanks to my friend (and fellow member of this group) Christopher Pasatieri for his advice on pre-shoot setup. Gear: Canon 1DX, 70-200 2.8 VII, shot full manual, ISO 100, f/11, 1/250th, Einstein 640 at 1/4 power (main light camera left in front of subject), Canon 580 EXII at 1/4 power (kicker for ice spray and hair light behind subject, camera right), and a set of 3 cheap Aperture receivers and triggers (I was going to use my PocketWizard TT1 and TT5's for hyper-sync, but decided to let the Einstein do the work at a slower shutter speed). When you get all the ambient out of the frame, that light will do some amazing things! It stopped the action on a slap shot and froze the puck with no blur whatsoever! here are a couple quick samples from the shoot. Note: on the portrait shot, I moved the speedlight in behind closer to the subject for effect. Hope you dig!

Billy-

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:27 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

Nailed it

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

looks good Billy. I always struggle with flare issues when I put the speed light in the back. Any advice on how to avoid it much like you did? Or did you have to do editing to remove additional.

Matt

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:28 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

Thanks Tim!

Matt, I think a lot of it has to do with what lens you are using and at what focal length. I believe different focal lengths produce different lens flare "looks". I had a couple very minor spots towards the bottom of the frame that I cloned out. Other than that, this was how it looked SOOC.

Billy-

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:06 PM
mabryms
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

Billy:

When you have a flash shooting into the lens or back lighting the subject a grid (on the light souce) always helps with reducing lens flare and creating a pleasing rim light. Also primes are better at handling light coming straight into the lens since they have fewer elements for light to bounce around on...of course in this case the zoom worked great...also, all of the new lenses feature a lens coating that also helps.

Good luck !

Oct 27, 2014 at 02:36 PM
mabryms
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

I also love the Einstein's for hockey.....the attached shot was also lit with 2 einstein's. I didn't see many slapshot pics that froze the bend in the hockey stick (most show a blur). You can even see the puck starting to lift on the backside.

I used a silver parabolic bounce umbrella as a main light (to improve the efficiency and keep the power output as low as possible - to reduce flash duration) and a gridded light camera right.

I would love to see what else you have done, I'm always looking for new ideas for shooting hockey!

Oct 27, 2014 at 03:20 PM
pat.kane
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

Thanks for posting. I recently picked up a single Einstein and need to get out and give it a try.

Oct 27, 2014 at 06:55 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hockey Action/Portrait w/Einstein & Speedlight

Nice execution, Billy. I like 'em!

Oct 27, 2014 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.