Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2014 · how many shots?

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · how many shots?

we had a 10 hour day. Shot a bit over 3k and will deliver about 750-800 (on average)

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:31 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · how many shots?

shot about 3500, delivered about 500 it was a 12 hour day.

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · how many shots?

I'm usually just under 2k. My wife shoots around 600-1000.

Culling a wedding with 2,500 images for some reason seems so much less daunting than crossing the 3k threshold.

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:49 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · how many shots?

I can't believe some of the numbers I am seeing. Some of you are creating soooo much extra work. My second and I max out at around 1300 (we average around 1200 usually, delivering around 500) for a 10 hour day, and we never feel like we miss anything. Of course, we've been doing this for eight years. I guess that may make a difference.

Sep 02, 2014 at 03:26 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · how many shots?

Saturday: ~4.7k / me + 2nd shooter for 8 hrs
Sunday: ~6.2k / me + 2nd shooter for 9 hrs

I'll probably deliver somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-800 for Saturday, and maybe 700-900 for Sunday (lots of dancing Persians).

I think there's a false correlation between the amount of additional work required and shooting higher volume. I still deliver my weddings within a 4-6 weeks and feel like I don't spend a whole lot of time editing/processing.

And I don't worry so much about "missing anything" but it's more about delivering more unexpected stuff or working out a tough situation to get a really great image out of a difficult setting. Sometimes I'm shooting a lot to test my OCF set ups and that sort of thing (since I can't see it until it fires). Sometimes I'm just experimenting and nothing comes out, or something awesome comes out.

Sep 02, 2014 at 03:58 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · how many shots?

I'm in awe.... damn... but as long as you get 'er done.

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:48 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · how many shots?

amonline wrote:
I can't believe some of the numbers I am seeing.

You're not the only one.
It is a good insight into how people work and what they do though.
I would like to see the thumbs of the shots taken at a particular section of a wedding by some of the high frame rate shooters ( 1500+) and see exactly what they get at the time and what they cull them down to.

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:58 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · how many shots?

14h day (typical) @ ~4000, deliver 750 easy. A lot are getting ready and dancing, both of which are completely a sync-all batch edit.It takes an hour to cull, maybe another 2 hours to edit the blog and then another 3 hours to batch edit the rest and finalize.

What's really funny are the shooters who take 1200 and deliver 600....3 months later.

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:18 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · how many shots?

ZachOly wrote:
What's really funny are the shooters who take 1200 and deliver 600....3 months later.

Another thing I can't get my head round.
I have heard of this 3 month turn around many times but I'm damned if I know where shooters find such patient clients!

My clients are complaining if the finished album isn't delivered in 3 months!
Much of the time they are on their honey moon and too busy to come back in to see the pics for at at least a month, usually they will take another fortnight to come up with the payment of the extras they add in and that tends to be a typical more over than slower scenario.

I think I'm half a chance as a salesperson but I sure as heck wouldn't like to be trying to sign people up and telling them not to expect to see their pics till 3 months after the event.
Where I am I reckon that would kill a good 90% of clients right there.

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:11 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · how many shots?

ZachOly wrote:

Actually, taking 5,000-10,000+, creating a three to six month window because you created all the extra work, is just as funny. If one can take that volume and deliver in a reasonable time frame of 4-6 weeks, then go for it. It's not my and my client's time. lol

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:44 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · how many shots?

1127. Im still culling, I'll probably cull down to 400 or so.

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · how many shots?

Last wedding was about 9 hours- between my wife and I we took 2,036. Delivering 732.

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · how many shots?

Last wedding was 8 hours. Between me and my 2nd, we shot 2970 (about 370/hr) and I'll cull it down to probably around 800-900. This 2nd only shoots with me once or twice a year so he tends to shoot heavy to make sure I have plenty to choose from. My regular 2nd shoots less and we usually come home with around 300/hr of shooting, which is culled to the same number of about 100/hr of shooting.

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:08 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · how many shots?

amonline wrote:
Actually, taking 5,000-10,000+, creating a three to six month window because you created all the extra work, is just as funny.

Have you heard/ know of anyone that takes SIX months to get the shots back to the couple?

Sep 03, 2014 at 01:15 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · how many shots?

Actually, I've read it on here more than once. Sorry, don't recall what members. I wouldn't mention names, but I've also heard from local vendors of a photog or two in my area. Of course, I couldn't tell you how much they shoot. All that said, I'm talking more about the "THREE TO" part. The point is, how many weeks/months can you cut off by not spraying a 5/10/15 shot burst where nearly all those images will be almost exactly the same? It's comical that one would want to cull, spend time deciding on 5/10 extra shots, shot in a few seconds.

Sep 03, 2014 at 02:08 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · how many shots?

4000ish for me an around 2800 for my wife on our last wedding. 14 hours, going to deliver around 800- 1000.

For my 3-4000 images I need about 2 hours to cull and about 8-10 hours to edit the 800 to delivered.

I feel it makes very little sence to judge the number of shots a photog takes without seeing the outcome. To evaluate if these many shots give a potentional benefit or not I would like to see the work produced.

heiko

Sep 03, 2014 at 02:45 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · how many shots?

heikoM wrote:
I feel it makes very little sence to judge the number of shots a photog takes without seeing the outcome. To evaluate if these many shots give a potentional benefit or not I would like to see the work produced.

I would agree. However, I think it begs some questions like, what is an acceptable amount of delivery time in the client's eyes, and does overshooting result in affecting that time to a point that it becomes a problem? With most couples I've asked what timeframe seems fair, every single one of them say a month or less. This is why my turnaround is four weeks. I'm done at two weeks, but it takes me the other two to get my deliverables.

Like I said, if one wants to shoot 5-10k, and is able to deliver in a reasonable timeframe, more power to them. It's no skin off my nose. However, there are MANY photographers that push 6 weeks, 8 weeks, or even longer. If those shooters are shooting 4k, 6k or 10k images (which seems to be the case from a few discussions right here on this forum), is that becoming a problem?

Maybe none of it matters in the end; but in the client's eyes, I'm sure many wonder, "what the hell is taking so long?" if they're waiting 2, 3, or 4+ months. What do some of you think the clients would say if they knew it was partly because you shot 10,000 images? (besides the obvious, "let me see them all")

Sep 03, 2014 at 03:36 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · how many shots?

I shoot longer coverage than most. 9.30am - Midnight is typical for me so 14+ hrs. I work alone and generally come home with around 2000 images. Occasionally I get up to around 2500, and occasionally I am closer to 1800, but 2000 is typical. I normally deliver around 400-500 images.

Sep 03, 2014 at 06:21 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · how many shots?

amonline wrote:
Actually, I've read it on here more than once. Sorry, don't recall what members. I wouldn't mention names, but I've also heard from local vendors of a photog or two in my area. Of course, I couldn't tell you how much they shoot. All that said, I'm talking more about the "THREE TO" part.

Amazing.

I get the from 3 months part although I'm still coming to grips with the up to 3 part!
In excess of that just seems unbelieveable that the clients would tolerate such a wait let alonethat the businesses can tell them they will have to wait so long and still get bookings.

All my clients are always busting to show family and friends and workmates their pics.
The mental image of them explaining to everyone that they won't get the pics for 3 months and now from what you say some will be waiting longer, as I keep saying, I just can't get my head around.
It's just such a different and opposed situation to what I have come to know for the 30 years I have been shooting weddings.

I'm trying not to criticise but I just can't help saying, it also seems terrible customer service to me to impose such a wait on people wether you tell them up front or not. That's why I can't comprehend how people are agreeable to it.

I sure am having my eyes opened with these discussions that's for sure.

The point is, how many weeks/months can you cut off by not spraying a 5/10/15 shot burst where nearly all those images will be almost exactly the same? It's comical that one would want to cull, spend time deciding on 5/10 extra shots, shot in a few seconds.

Something else I don't understand.
If it takes 3 months or more for a shooter to make the images ready for the clients, how is this sustainable? Will this time next year the wait be double? If not, why is there such a wait now? If there is a backlog, how did that occour and what is stopping it getting longer?
What are the shooters doing in this time that takes them this long to get the pictures to the clients?

If it is constantly taking more time to complete job than they are coming up, how can that be workable long term?

So much I just don't understand.

Sep 03, 2014 at 06:27 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · how many shots?

Our customers wait about 6 weeks for the images. That has nothing to do with the fact that I shoot 3-4000 images a day, as culling takes about 2 hours.

It has to do with the fact, that I shot 25+ weddings this year, that I have a full time day job and am a father of 5. (o:

So, as much as I feel sorry for my brides, does not go any faster in the moment.

heiko

Sep 03, 2014 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.