Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

HS football with flash and no flash

Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS football with flash and no flash

Took the 1DX out for its maiden voyage into high ISO territory this past Friday. Field had 4 light standards with 18 lights per standard. I shot a couple of frames at ISO 8000, F2.8, ss @ 1600, AV mode.

Didn't like the look of the colors looking a little flat, so I switched back to my old way of shooting night football. Manual mode, ss@1000, ISO at 5000, F2.8, flsh on ETTL mode with HSS and -1 FEC. I liked the results better with the flash plus I could see under the helmets.

I'll try again with the high ISO this coming Friday with the 1DX on a different field with better lights and see what results I get.

Just posting these 2 to show ISO 8000 without the flash and the colors looking a little flat ooc.

a)

b)

These are shot with flash on HSS. Settings are above.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Carlos Salcedo

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS football with flash and no flash

I have never ever liked the look of fill flash for football. I used to use fill-flash during the 90's for film shooting and then in the early days of digital since the high ISO on those cameras were just horrible.

Now I prefer the look of high ISO on almost all DSLRs. Some may say that they have high noise above 6400 or 8000 but I guess those have never shot P3200 at 6400 or higher and developed with TMax developer at 100F. In comparison to that, the DSLRs are absolutely noise free.

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:17 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS football with flash and no flash

Your flashed football is very good and it's hard to do it right. But like Carlos, I am a fan of no flash football. Maybe because I am not good at it. Or maybe because in my mind, HS football is a dark and gritty sport. Anywho, your technique is great and you've got some very good action, which many flash football shooters are not able to get.

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:37 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS football with flash and no flash

I think each technique has its pros and cons.

Can you share your flash setup and gear?

Thanks.

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:24 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS football with flash and no flash

Well i personally love your flashed pictures. Usually i don't but here with a good ambiant light all around the flash is not that obvious at all. Colours are great (especially skin tones) and there's more details in the bunched up shot #3 that one could ever get without a flash and all the shadows the field lights would produce. Nice to see so clearly inside the helmets too like you mentioned.

Very professional work in my book, i'd be proud to have such good night time HS football pictures on my hard drive :-)

Sep 02, 2014 at 01:24 PM
danmc
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS football with flash and no flash

I like the flashed, they appear sharper and the white balance gets cleaned up nicely, I was expecting a little bit of ghosting but don't see it

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:29 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS football with flash and no flash

I like both your ambient and your flashed. Another strong set and motivation to finally learn how to use the speedlights correctly. My fields here are not great so I will learn from you,(if you don't mind). Thanks for posting.

Sep 02, 2014 at 03:59 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS football with flash and no flash

amlsml wrote:
I like both your ambient and your flashed. Another strong set and motivation to finally learn how to use the speedlights correctly. My fields here are not great so I will learn from you,(if you don't mind). Thanks for posting.

+1, wouldn't mind learning/knowing the settings myself :-)

Sep 02, 2014 at 04:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fish On
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS football with flash and no flash

Thanks for the kind comments.

My gear is a 1DX with the 400/2.8 with a 580EX2 flash mounted on a Manfrotto 233B flash bracket. I also use the Cheetah 4500 battery pack to power my flash. Settings are manual mode, ss@1000, ISO at 5000, F2.8 or 3.5, flash on ETTL mode with HSS and -1 FEC, AWB.

I like the results with the X better than when I was using the Mark 4 last year.

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:52 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS football with flash and no flash

These are easily the most pleasing flashed HS football images I've seen. No odd shadows. No ghosting. I'm impressed (and may try it myself).

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:16 PM
rrtht20
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS football with flash and no flash

Nice work! I just got a Mark 4 and I use the identical settings as you are. I am loving it so far. How many flash pops do you get on an average play with the Cheetah battery pack?
You can check out some of my shots from this last week here: http://asppix.instaproofs.com/CWvsSC2014

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:34 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS football with flash and no flash

danmc wrote:
I like the flashed, they appear sharper and the white balance gets cleaned up nicely, I was expecting a little bit of ghosting but don't see it

+1

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:44 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS football with flash and no flash

Does the Manfrotto 233B give enough separation to avoid red eye? Do you have the extension arm pointed up or down?

Thanks.

Sep 04, 2014 at 01:45 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HS football with flash and no flash

the flashed shots look way better

Sep 04, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HS football with flash and no flash

Jerry, I liked the "filled" shots better. If you have a venue where cycling lights aren't an issue then flashless high ISO is the ticket. I shot high ISO (8-10k) AAA baseball all summer long with no issue. But, high school football is a different story. There just aren't enough light "bulbs" to prevent the effects of cycling. That's why I use a fill flash. You and I use the same camera/lens , except I use a 600EX RT (mounted on a super clamp 18"+ below lens axis) & an ST-E3. The 600 focuses the light better than the 580. I use the same settings HSS -1... I shoot my first games tonight...

Ralph

Sep 05, 2014 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password