Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

Will the Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 work on 1DsIII ?? If not, Do you know of one? Thank you. Jim

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:21 AM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

1st option: Canon WFT-E2 II A Wireless File Transmitter + external GPS (check WFT manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300004163/01/wft-e2ii-a-en.pdf)

2nd option (cheaper, but you need to be tech-savvy): use a portable GPS Tracker with logging capability, sync camera and GPS tracker clocks, than use the GPS Tracker logs to write GPS EXIF tags to your pics.

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:57 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

ciprian.trofin wrote:
1st option: Canon WFT-E2 II A Wireless File Transmitter + external GPS (check WFT manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300004163/01/wft-e2ii-a-en.pdf)

2nd option (cheaper, but you need to be tech-savvy): use a portable GPS Tracker with logging capability, sync camera and GPS tracker clocks, than use the GPS Tracker logs to write GPS EXIF tags to your pics.

Frankly I have no idea what either of you are on about, but I would say anything like the WFT-E2 is going to be a bit old and out of date now, Ciprian's sees a very good idea if you aren't going to need to do it a lot

Sep 01, 2014 at 04:18 AM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

Actually, is not very hard. A simple working scenario is:
1. copy gps log file and camera images in one folder

[tech savvy part]
2. build / run a script that checks date / time in gps logger file and picture date / time (EXIF info) and sets the appropriate coordinate (from GPS log) to each image
2.1 [!] there will be no exact mach between image time and GPS log time because the GPS tracker - in order to save power - does not log position every second; the script should choose the closest date / time from log to each image
3. use another script to generate ExifTool commands to write GPS coordinates as EXIF info to each image (the ExifTool program (by Phil Harvey) is used to read and write EXIF tags from / to images - it supports both CR2 and JPEGs)

[/tech savvy part]

Instead of a dedicated GPS tracker, you can use a cheap Android smartphone with GPS and an appropriate app (check Google play); also, an external cell phone battery pack will come handy because extended use of GPS drains the phone fast.

Sep 01, 2014 at 04:50 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

ciprian.trofin wrote:

---------------------------------------------

dhphoto wrote:
Frankly I have no idea what either of you are on about, but I would say anything like the WFT-E2 is going to be a bit old and out of date now, Ciprian's sees a very good idea if you aren't going to need to do it a lot

Thank you very much. My question has been answered.. Jim

Sep 01, 2014 at 07:36 AM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

If you already own the GP-E2 you can use it as a stand alone logger and then use Canon Map Utility to geotag.

If you don't own it yet then the third party stand alone loggers are a less expensive solution.

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:40 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

jrhoffman75 wrote:
If you already own the GP-E2 you can use it as a stand alone logger and then use Canon Map Utility to geotag.

If you don't own it yet then the third party stand alone loggers are a less expensive solution.

Thank you

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:31 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

Yes, you can use the GP-E2 as a stand alone tracker, then use the INCLUDED map utility to drag in the raw/jpg files and it will auto-magically align the nearest gps location data to the file.
bingo!
just make sure your date/time is correct or itll be a mess

Sep 02, 2014 at 10:24 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

kodakeos wrote:
Yes, you can use the GP-E2 as a stand alone tracker, then use the INCLUDED map utility to drag in the raw/jpg files and it will auto-magically align the nearest gps location data to the file.
bingo!
just make sure your date/time is correct or itll be a mess

Thank you. Looks like I have some learning ahead of me.

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

oldrattler wrote:
Thank you. Looks like I have some learning ahead of me.

Personally I think I would just take a map and some pins

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:56 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

works basically like this, except instead of downloading from the camera, you do it from the GP-E2
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-map-your-day-on-your-canon-eos-6d.html

Sep 04, 2014 at 10:29 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

kodakeos wrote:
works basically like this, except instead of downloading from the camera, you do it from the GP-E2
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-map-your-day-on-your-canon-eos-6d.html

Thank you.

Sep 05, 2014 at 03:33 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on 1DsIII ??

My pleasure
I've been using the gp-e2 basically since it came out. Pm me any questions.

Sep 06, 2014 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.