Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Late August Soccer

schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Late August Soccer

Normally it's ball, faces and peak action for the HS scene but, there are those opportunities that present themselves for individual captures, which the parents like Here are a few from this past week here in Indiana.
Your comments are appreciated as it helps to determine what others might be looking for

Matt

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x lens    280mm    f/4.0    1/1600s    2500 ISO    +0.3 EV  

2. Only a sophomore and starting to dominate

Canon EOS-1D X    EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    400mm    f/2.8    1/1600s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

3. Above the rest, his header found the net

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x lens    210mm    f/4.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

4. Young but determined

Canon EOS-1D X    EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    400mm    f/3.2    1/1600s    125 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:07 PM
SargentRay
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Late August Soccer

Helo matt, here's what i think;

All shots are great angle, timing, composition and focus are all spot on.

But this being said i'll be quite honest here your colours look funny. Except for #3 in my opinion the others look pretty drab, lacking mostly saturation. It is like everything is greyish, i mean even under very soft light (overcast skies) the grass should come out greener so should the trees in the background. So i'm wondering are you doing anything special in post processing i.e. desaturation your colours or something of the sort ? If so then it's a matter of taste and i apologize for bringing it up.

But if not then perhaps you have a color profile mismatch between your shooting colour space and your post processing working space.
Are you shooting in RAW ?
What is your shooting colour space ? Adobe RGB or sRGB
What is your post processing colour space ? Adobe RGB or sRGB or Profoto or other

When you import a photo in photoshop do you get this warning ?

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:50 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Late August Soccer

Hmm... colors look spot on here, at least on my monitor. Also, like how you got nice and low. Great shots.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:46 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Late August Soccer

P Alesse wrote:
Hmm... colors look spot on here, at least on my monitor. Also, like how you got nice and low. Great shots.

I may be way off here, i'll admit that :-(

Just looks very de saturated at my end, but i know it's hard to tell with so much white in the shots.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Late August Soccer

I see no issues with color either. Good set.

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:49 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Late August Soccer

Matt OHarver wrote:
I see no issues with color either. Good set.

It's me then :-(

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:52 AM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Late August Soccer

Nice set Matt and the colors look good to me.

Sep 01, 2014 at 01:01 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Late August Soccer

Appreciate you coming by Paul. I'm honored, thank you for the comment.

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:07 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Late August Soccer

RaY, I've had concerns regarding color mgmt but have color managed the system. Yes I do shoot raw and handle the transition via LR 5.6 plus export to sRGB for the web. No probs with your comment always good to review the process. Thanks for stopping by bud!

Matt

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:13 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Late August Soccer

Hey Matt, thanks!

Don, appreciate you taking the time to review. Thanks buddy!

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Late August Soccer

schlotz wrote:
RaY, I've had concerns regarding color mgmt but have color managed the system. Yes I do shoot raw and handle the transition via LR 5.6 plus export to sRGB for the web. No probs with your comment always good to review the process. Thanks for stopping by bud!

Matt

Ok i feel better knowing you're cool with my comment, maybe it's just me that like my stuff over saturated or something. Although i must say i've seen a lot of stuff either very saturated or very contrasty here in all the sections. But i usually get complimented for my colours especially in sports.

I don't know maybe with the white uniforms i was thrown off quite a bit. But like i said your shots are extremely sharp and well composed, they're a tribute to sport shooting no doubt :-)

Edited on Sep 01, 2014 at 01:27 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:25 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Late August Soccer

colors look OK on my monitor

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Late August Soccer

Matt...colors look good here too. And what Paul said on being low...especially #4 which is also my fav along with #1. Yeah...you are right on with going with what parents like. As long as they are buying....keep them happy. I alway s like to get a group of these type of shots in case someone wants a wall cling or poster etc.

Nice job all around with the exposure, sharpness, BG's etc. Sometimes with soccer.....BG's can be challenging because the fans are usually at field level along with ports johns, trash cans etc. You did a nice job managing this.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Frank

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:48 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Late August Soccer

Hey Frank,

Low has been my way to go now for several years. As long as I can still get back up off my butt that's the position I'll remain in for shooting soccer. I'm somewhat fortunate as this school's field setup up well, running north & south, no port-a-johns or really unacceptable BG's plus it is fenced and I'm one of only a few allowed inside. Although there was an issue with that regarding an older side ref this past week (first time this has happened in 10 years) spouting rules etc... So I politely removed myself and then allowed the AD to have a conversation with him at the half. I was immediately allowed back on. Always better to have someone assist on your behalf in these matters

Really appreciate your comments Frank, thanks for stopping by.

Matt

Sep 01, 2014 at 01:34 PM
mikekeating

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Late August Soccer

Hi Matt,

Great set. I too shoot soccer and these images are giving me some inspiration. I am still looking for that elusive header shot, like the one you got. I did get a great shot of the goalies jumping out of her shoes to make a save though.

I need to get lower in my shooting, that much is obvious to me now.

I always look at things this way: If I did not learn something, I was not paying attention.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Sep 01, 2014 at 01:35 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Late August Soccer

Color and WB are not empirical in the same sense as focus where it's either in focus or it's not. Color saturation and wb are more of a matter of personal taste left up to the individual photographer. Everyone has their own personal style which includes composition, cropping, saturation, and wb.

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:13 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Late August Soccer

P Alesse wrote:
Color and WB are not empirical in the same sense as focus where it's either in focus or it's not. Color saturation and wb are more of a matter of personal taste left up to the individual photographer. Everyone has their own personal style which includes composition, cropping, saturation, and wb.

I agree completely with that and i'll even add it's the reason i don't use my Color Checker Passport card anymore. I don't know if it was a mistake or not but 2 years ago i bought one thinking i could get a better WB and better truer colours in my action shots and that all this would make me a better sports shooter and a better photographer in general.

It didn't take me long to realize i was fine tuning these parameters to my liking 95% of the time. True absolutely perfect WB isn't always the solution. I also thought at first a Color Checker would help me achieve perfect WB when shooting under city park's artificial lights and that it would set me apart from other photographers that didn't take the time to do this. Although it helps here too i realized i couldn't get perfect WB or colour rendering simply because all lights do not pulsate at the same time (cycle). If i got rid of the magenta hue it would exaggerate the green one and vice versa, just like when i eye balled it in post so i reverted to my old evaluative and subjective method which gave me better results.

This being said in sports like any other photographic specialities there are some dos and don'ts in my opinion.
Last week a member of one of the forums i moderate sent me a picture for critique and advice. Although the action and timing was very good the overall image was dull, very desaturated and generally lacking details. I asked what he did in PP and he candidly told me he had applied the same "recipe" he uses for his portraits.

I did what i could with the low rez JPG he had sent me sending it back with detailed explanations. He couldn't believe he had processed the picture like he did when he saw the difference. He then processed the whole series in the same fashion and received many compliments on the forum after that. By this i mean although there is a great part of subjectivity in photography in general there are always some guide lines as well. Especially in sports shooting although one can apply any sort of post processing he wants chances are the nice saturated, clear pictures of a sporting event will end up getting published before his de saturated, murky ones. Does this make any sense or am i off track again ? :-)
Carl gave me permission to post those for teaching purposes.
If you don't want me to post pictures on your thread Matt just tell me i'll remove it

Sep 02, 2014 at 01:27 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Late August Soccer

Matt, great set.

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:41 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Late August Soccer

Thank you Guy!