Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

SargentRay
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

Don't know how it works elsewhere but here soccer is played for the most part when school is out and stops when school starts again. So last weekend Guy asked me at the last minute to cover this one. I've asked to remain a rover on his sports shooters team because i've started working on shifts again so i'm not as available as i used to up to now. This one assignment was quite challenging 1st because all the games were held on half size fields so it meant twice as many teams,parents spectators and so on. Then secondly perhaps because school has started again kids were acting out all over the place, coaches couldn't control them, one kid broke his ankle just fooling around between games. At one point i asked a female coach to line up her players for the team shot and she just stood there staring at me speechless with her mouth half opened. she looked like she was going to have a nervous breakdown so i just took off without shooting that team (poor girl).

But aside from all that was going on and the whole hectic 25 simultaneous games chaos going on i still had a job to do and i did my best under the circumstances. At this particular level parents are aloud to sit next to the field with their folding camping chairs and some really take this too far having their flip flop garnished feet right onto the field. Honestly i don't even try to avoid them being in the shots anymore there's just too many people. Heck 2 blue collars were driving around the pedestrian walkways on a lawnmower tractor (shot # 12). Don't know which field they thought they were going to mow there were people everywhere.

So i went along my usual business of shooting every player twice for each team which comes out to about 25 shots in 25 minutes, in JPG, single frame shooting as perfectly cropped as possible since no post processing whatsoever is done before printing and selling the pictures. The only thing i did differently is perhaps try to discipline myself to wait that extra fraction of a second until the player looks up or gives me some kind of an expression. At that age most player just look down at the ball until somebody steals it from them, but i managed to get a few nevertheless.

1-) Intensity

2-) Surprise !

3-) Looking over the glasses works better.

4-) Go into the light

5-) Agility and concentration (probably the best player of the tournament)

6-) Encouraging an injured player

7-) Ok objective in sight.

8-) To have heart.

9-) Great defence player who has stopped many attacks.

10-) The save of the game.

11-) Smallest but most determined Dynamo's team player.

12-) A man and his ball.

13-) In extremis

14-) Look dad, no hand.

15-) Come here you.

Edited on Aug 31, 2014 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:39 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

Regardless is the "opportunities" a venue like this presents, I'd say you did a pretty good job Ray.
#11 is priceless and the innocent emotion in #15, both are the what it's all about.

Good work
Matt

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:47 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

schlotz wrote:
Regardless is the "opportunities" a venue like this presents, I'd say you did a pretty good job Ray.
#11 is priceless and the innocent emotion in #15, both are the what it's all about.

Good work
Matt

Thanks Matt, you're absolutely right of course; at the end of the day if i have successfully captured meaningful moments for the parents i have done my job. No need to win a prize or get published in Sports Illustrated to be appreciated and more importantly make people happy :-)

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:56 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

Great action and color. Love, love, love that last shot. Something special there.

Aug 31, 2014 at 06:49 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

P Alesse wrote:
Great action and color. Love, love, love that last shot. Something special there.

Thanks man coming from you...

Ya know that's special.

Thanks a million :-)

Aug 31, 2014 at 07:04 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

While I agree with others on colors and action, when I look at these I see overly smoothed skins(noise reduction?) and some over sharpened edges.

In particular looking at 6, that girl has no pores and her hair is all mushy from noise reduction.

Matt

Aug 31, 2014 at 07:51 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · U9 Soccer last tournament of the season

Matt OHarver wrote:
While I agree with others on colors and action, when I look at these I see overly smoothed skins(noise reduction?) and some over sharpened edges.

Matt

Hello matt, i know it looks like that but in fact there's no re sharpen in Lr4, i usually import at 25 re sharpen (default) but these are at 20, but they were shot with a 70-200mm + TC20 E-III + DX crop mode and cropped again some in Lr. So after all that beating they look pixelated to an extend and i loose much (if not all) details in the skin area. But i assure you i did not smoothen skin.

Oh yeah i forgot they are also shot in JPG basic format so in order to produce quickly these pictures for quick 6x9 printing i do everything i would never recommend doing to anyone. It's normal i think i loose so much resolution in the end. All parameters described are mandatory for all of us that work for this guy. He just feeds the memory card in a photo printer without any post processing and he insists on having the smallest file size possible.

Not a workflow i'd use for personal stuff.

Aug 31, 2014 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.