Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Second camera body for HS night football

OrindaDad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second camera body for HS night football

Hello,

I have a kid entering his junior year in HS and is now playing on the varsity football team where most of the games are at night. I have also somehow become the team photographer and am trying to figure out night photography. I have a Nikon D4 and just picked up a refurbished Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR which is a great combo for the action on the field. However, I keep on missing sideline shots and action shots coming near me due to the reach of the lens.

I tried a D300 with a 70-200 F2.8 VR during their first night game, but the IQ and color were so different from the D4 that I could not find many keepers. Ideally, I would have another D4/D4s to pair with the 70-200 2.8, but I cannot justify the cost. I am thinking about picking up an used D700, D610, or perhaps D800 which can also serve for landscape use, but I keep reading different things about each camera for night football which will be the main use of this camera.

Any help on which second camera body would be best for night football for closer action/sideline shots would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

PS. Here is a photo of my kid enjoying a 315 lbs pancake

Aug 31, 2014 at 01:23 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second camera body for HS night football

You answered your own question already. If you are annoyed by lesser IQ and colors of a lesser body. Will you be happy with anything other than another D4? Maybe a D3s?

Matt

Aug 31, 2014 at 05:51 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second camera body for HS night football

No doubt a used D3s is your best option for a body under $3k.

This past Friday night I used a D3s, D700 & D800 for a high school football game. I like my D800 and use it sparingly for sports. It is okay if you can handle 5 fps.

I posted some shots on the sports page from all 3 bodies. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1315351

Grant

Aug 31, 2014 at 06:13 PM
manhattan

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second camera body for HS night football

D700 and no worries

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:37 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second camera body for HS night football

I used a D4 and a 300 2.8 for HS Soccer and Football. My second body is a D800 and it works okay, but I am looking forward to the rumored D750. I almost picked up a D3s but decided I liked the overall versatility of the D800. I use it with the grip and battery adapter that allows me to use the same batteries that I use in my D4 (in the grip).

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM
OrindaDad

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second camera body for HS night football

Thanks all for the help.

Would love to pick up an used D3s, but it is out of my price range. Would consider the D750 depending on the price, but I need another body now.

Grant, thanks for the great photos using all three cameras. I could not discern a drastic difference among the photos which was not the case between the D4 and D300. How did the D800 and D700 compare in terms of low light performance, autofocus, color accuracy for night football? Also, was the 5 fps of the D800 a major detractor for football?

Thanks again for the help.

Dan

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.