New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

sputnik
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

Hi all,
what would you say the sweetspot is for showing your images on the web these days, wether it's on a tumblr/wordpress blog or on flickr/500 px? I'm talking image width in pixels. Would 1200 px be a size that most people could handle? Ideally I would like to come up with a size that works for both tumblr and flickr/500 px - or am I only kidding myself?

/Anders

Aug 31, 2014 at 06:37 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

I use a FM member's "action" and it leaves all the guessing out of my websize equation!
Contact Chad Caswell, 72chevelle454, for info.
Dan

Sep 01, 2014 at 07:45 AM
sputnik
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

Thanks for the tip Dan, but let me ask you this: whats the width of your images after you run the action?
/A

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:28 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

Sputnik,

Today 800 pixels on the long side is very conservative, 1000 is pretty safe. 1200 is workable but many people will have to scroll.

HTH,

Chuck

Edited to correct unintentional assholeishness on my part.

Edited on Sep 02, 2014 at 10:54 AM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:29 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

nolaguy wrote:
Obtuse reply of the day award goes to:

Sputnik,

Today 800 pixels on the long side is very conservative, 1000 is pretty safe. 1200 is workable but many people will have to scroll.

HTH,

Chuck

I personally disagree. Sure, the 'average' computer user might have a lower resolution screen, but not the average photographer, and probably still not the average consumer. Monitors nowadays are almost exclusively 1080p or higher (heck, you can buy a cheap 23" 1080p monitor for less than $200 now). I've slowly increased my web size images over the years. I started at about 640 pixels wide about 10 years ago, moved up to 800, then 1000, then 1200. Now my action fits to I believe 1400pixels wide by 900 tall. This will fit a 1080p monitor fine and still looks great on higher resolution monitors. I do design my main site to 1000 pixels wide, though, but that's because it's less about presentation than about content. When people click on my images there, or on my portfolio site, they come up scaled to their monitor, so I still stick with the 1400 pixel wide part. With a lot of people browsing on high end mobile phones and tablets, most of which push 1400 to 2000 pixels wide, the extra resolution is good for that too. An 800 pixel image viewed on a retina iPad looks pretty bad to be honest. A lot of forums have built in auto scaling as well for those with lower resolution screens too (though FM isn't one of them.

I think 1000-1400 pixels wide is a good sweet spot, and I wouldn't worry too much about scrolling at those resolutions.

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:47 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

nolaguy wrote:

Sputnik,

HTH,

Chuck

Real gentlemenly Chuck! Shows you are really a quality person with a high intellect!
All I was doing was suggesting. If my remarks are not up to the caliber of your intelligence then don't bother to reply!
The "slams" are unwarranted!

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:37 AM
bf5hpjg
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

nolaguy wrote:

Danpbphoto wrote:
I use a FM member's "action" and it leaves all the guessing out of my websize equation!
Contact Chad Caswell, 72chevelle454, for info.
Dan[/quote
Chuck

Down right RUDE and you have the baxxs to say "HTH"??
And Dan's didn't

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:38 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

PM sent for info requested.

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:48 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

Jman, I think we're largely saying the same thing... I said 1000 pixels on the long side and many shots are portrait orientation. I guess a more complete answer would be "if portrait this, if landscape this..."

Dan, sincere apologies... I've been working round the clock for several days and intended my reply to be in good humor but amidst exhaustion I totally screwed it up. Rereading, it doesn't come across as intended at all. Again, I apologize.

Chuck

Sep 02, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

Yeah, I was more talking about 1200 pixels requiring scrolling. True in the vertical, not so much in the horizontal with today's monitors. All good.

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:22 AM
sputnik
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

nolaguy wrote:
Sputnik,

HTH,

Chuck

Edited to correct unintentional assholeishness on my part.

That's sort of what I was thinking (regarding sizes I mean).

/A

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:27 PM
sputnik
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

Danpbphoto wrote:
PM sent for info requested.

Cheers, much appreciated Dan!

/A

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:28 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

sputnik wrote:
That's sort of what I was thinking (regarding sizes I mean).

/A

It's okay if you were thinking the asshole part too. That's what I thought when I reread.

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:54 PM
bf5hpjg
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "Best" image dimensions for showing images on the web

Thanks Fred for deleting the ultimate in rudeness in remarks!

lolaguy- have you NO idea what obtuse means!!!!! "And reredeading it did not come across as intended?" And Dan is was the culprit?
Angelo

"ob·tuse adjective \äb-ˈtüs, əb-, -ˈtyüs\
: stupid or unintelligent : not able to think clearly or to understand what is obvious or simple"

Sep 02, 2014 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.