Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              14       15       end

Archive 2014 · it's hard to stay faithful...

RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · it's hard to stay faithful...

Currently on a roadtrip with 7 other togs shooting epic NZ icons.

Everyone else shooting d810 and a7r. Filterless

Getting better results than me with my filters.

It's somewhat sickening when you see the difference right in your face.

The many scnider 50mm's arnt helping either..

This happens every time I travel with this crowd. Honestly will be picking up a new body soon and unlikely to be canon.

Sorry a bit whinging but sadly the truth. Yes I can take good pics with the 6d but every time I put in effort to shoot somewhere I'd rather it be on the best camera I can use

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:58 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · it's hard to stay faithful...

There's a saying in Russia, " a bad dancer always blames his balls for that"

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:12 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · it's hard to stay faithful...

I hate to say this but the only sad truth here is that you bought the wrong gear. Seriously, if I was heavily into landscapes I certainly would not have bought a 6D.

Given your profile of gear I would say an A7R is more appropriate.

Also, drop the "faithful" crap. It's great for religions but has no place in photography.

Edited on Aug 31, 2014 at 12:43 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:33 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · it's hard to stay faithful...

I agreed, lot of energy and money for the trip and you might not passing by there again then why not get the best cam before the trip.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:34 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · it's hard to stay faithful...

RobDickinson wrote:
Currently on a roadtrip with 7 other togs shooting epic NZ icons.

Everyone else shooting d810 and a7r. Filterless

Getting better results than me with my filters.

The many scnider 50mm's arnt helping either..

This happens every time I travel with this crowd. Honestly will be picking up a new body soon and unlikely to be canon.

Sorry a bit whinging but sadly the truth. Yes I can take good pics with the 6d but every time I put in effort to shoot somewhere I'd rather it be
...Show more

What's the main difference?

The file size, the DR or the sharpness caused by lack of AA filter?

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:38 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · it's hard to stay faithful...

dhphoto wrote:
What's the main difference?

The file size, the DR or the sharpness caused by lack of AA filter?

David, rent one and see the differences yourself

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · it's hard to stay faithful...

RobDickinson wrote:
Everyone else shooting d810 and a7r.

Honestly will be picking up a new body soon and unlikely to be canon.

Fair enough. IMHO Canon doesn't have a current, competitive landscape camera (perhaps they used to in the 1Ds Mark III) - they are pro photojournalism and hobbyist tools.

At least that is where their strengths are - though shooting high ISO's they could do so much better there in terms of gain.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:49 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · it's hard to stay faithful...

DmitriM wrote:
There's a saying in Russia, " a bad dancer always blames his balls for that"

Like it or not I'm having to shoot with filters these guys dont.

Yes my gear still works, and I've shot canon a long time trying not to jump ship every time something shiny comes along.. But..

Time to add an a7r or its replacement I guess.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · it's hard to stay faithful...

RobDickinson wrote:
Like it or not I'm having to shoot with filters these guys dont.

I feel stupid. What do you mean when you say you have to shoot with filters and they don't?

Aug 31, 2014 at 02:03 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · it's hard to stay faithful...

mttran wrote:
David, rent one and see the differences yourself

Why? I have gear that serves me well already

I'd have to rent lenses as well and I'm just asking a guy here, one of those whose work I really respect, what he thinks is so good. I'm genuinely interested in what he has to say.

Aug 31, 2014 at 02:27 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · it's hard to stay faithful...

dhphoto wrote:
Why? I have gear that serves me well already

I'd have to rent lenses as well and I'm just asking a guy here, one of those whose work I really respect, what he thinks is so good. I'm genuinely interested in what he has to say.

Because you will have the same question since the day of D800(E) released regardless who has shared with you this data in the past.

Aug 31, 2014 at 02:37 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · it's hard to stay faithful...

Rob, given your style of shooting i would suggest the logical choice for you is an A7 of some description with adapters for your Canon-fit lenses. That will give you the DR and resolution you need for your awesome landscapes, and if Canon do come out with an appropriate high MP / high DR body in the near future you are well placed to pick one up as you haven't ditched your lens collection. If, in the longer term, Canon continue to offer bodies below spec for what you want, you can go the whole (expensive) way and switch systems at your convenience. Also, with landscape shooting you won't notice the slow AF of the A7 / canon lens combo either, and you can always use the 6D for stuff where AF is important.

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:08 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · it's hard to stay faithful...

Rob, I'll echo much of the above comments and can also understand your hesitations.

The D810 is in my mind a refinement/mature product that really looks; IQ/DR wise, simply stunning, but you'd have to give up your Canon glass.

The Sony a7's on the other hand while stunning, are still a v1 design, not nearly as mature; IMO, nor are the adapters, which could be a risk if all doesn't fit perfectly thus requiring returns.

After Photokina we all will have a better idea; let's hope, of Canon's response to EXMOR, but even that is still just an unusable 'promise' until it's actual delivery; in 2015

Given your images and what you envision they could be with the extras EXMOR brings, I don't see you without a Sony A7r. You get to use all your Canon glass, perhaps grab Nikon's 14-24, or most any other high quality glass.

The 'faithful' bit needs not be if your tools wont let you explore your full creative potential and in the end it's your vision, images, that speak volumes, satisfy your journey in this art!

Cheers,
Jerry

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:39 AM
mihind24
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · it's hard to stay faithful...

I stopped comparing my photography to other photographers', and it was the best thing I've done for my photography. I learn from other photographers, and from other photographs, but I don't judge myself in relation to them.

Regarding the gear, it can be tempting to want to pick up the latest and greatest, but I often find it's best to take a step back and think about some things. Several years ago, a 5DII was about the best you could get for landscapes. I still use it to this day. Many professional landscape photographers used that camera, and made a living off that camera. The camera has not gotten any worse. It's as capable a camera today as it was several years ago when many pros were using it. You have in your hands a very capable camera, one capable of taking amazing photographs. Mine is older, but I'm still able to take stunning landscapes with it.

Focus on what your camera can do. It's one of the best cameras on the market right now. Sure, there's a sensor which is better for landscapes, but you still have one of the best. Guess what? Even if you buy a D810 or A7, at some point, something new will come along that will outperform those. If you keep getting green with envy because other photographers have a tool that is newer and better, you're going to be spending lots of money.

I highly recommend focusing on what you can do with you gear, focusing on improving your techniques, and forgetting about what you can't do with your gear. More emphasis and belief in your own abilities can makes things possible that don't seem so when you worry about what you cannot do.

Whatever you do, good luck, and I hope your choice leads you to photographic happiness!

Aug 31, 2014 at 04:06 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · it's hard to stay faithful...

It's not a case of new just for the sake of it.

I run into dynamic range issues all the time, partially solved by filters. But filters are at best a minor impact on IQ, at worst they can ruin a pic, often it's hard to spot issues when shooting.

It's also not about comparisons to others. It's about simplicity quality and ease of getting the results. The people I'm shooting with are awesome photographs, expect them to get great shots, but it feels like I am using a hammer when they are using power tools. ..

Thanks for all the comments ! I know I should get the Sony, perhaps when v2 comes out. That and the 2 native primes would make a nice package

Aug 31, 2014 at 04:31 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · it's hard to stay faithful...

RobDickinson wrote:
It's not a case of new just for the sake of it.

I run into dynamic range issues all the time, partially solved by filters. But filters are at best a minor impact on IQ, at worst they can ruin a pic, often it's hard to spot issues when shooting.

It's also not about comparisons to others. It's about simplicity quality and ease of getting the results. The people I'm shooting with are awesome photographs, expect them to get great shots, but it feels like I am using a hammer when they are using power tools. ..

Thanks for all the
...Show more

So it's primarily DR that makes the difference for you?

Aug 31, 2014 at 04:39 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · it's hard to stay faithful...

Other than the the canon glass you already have, there is no great reason for any brand loyalty (faithfullness). I rented an A7r for a recent trip and was quite stunned by the shadow detail and resolution compared to the 5D3. I would think if you are on a road trip with seven other photos on a an icon binge, a used A7r and adapter would be affordable and essential. If I were a more prolific (and capable) landscape photographer, I'd buy one used without hesitation, not waiting for camera that would likely be much more expensive and not available for 6-12 months. If the A7r could serve me well as an all purpose camera (action, family), I'd buy one today.

David

Aug 31, 2014 at 06:33 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · it's hard to stay faithful...

Rob, I know what you meant. I sold my graduated ND filters soon after I moved from a Canon 5DIII to a Nikon D610 (soon will be the new D750). With those Sony Exmor sensors, I have little use for those filters anymore. I have no idea where Canon is heading in terms of sensors with good DR. If the rumors are true, it looks like the sensor in the upcoming 7DII will be a just different version of the sensor in the 70D. I agree with many others here, for now maybe an A7 with adapter is the way to bride you over.

Cheers,

Douglas

Aug 31, 2014 at 08:04 AM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · it's hard to stay faithful...

Faithful does not come into it. I would never be 100% happy with either Nikon or Sony. Yes I have tried both out & have not been prepared to purchase either. Neither have either of my preferred retailers been prepared to convince me to buy one them. This speaks more to me than all the threads I read saying I should buy & be happy. Cost is not a factor having recently sold my superteles.

Edited on Aug 31, 2014 at 08:28 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2014 at 08:23 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · it's hard to stay faithful...

Rob, I've travelled to Kauai for the past 10 years and always took my gnd filter kit with me. Next month I'm going again but this time I'm taking a A7r with me and leaving my gnd filters at home. It's that good. Get yourself an A7r and save all the filter hassles. Life's too short.

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.