New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Question for pros..

SonomaMike
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for pros..

Hello all -

There's a local high-end "home" store that's soon to be open here in Sonoma and the owner has contacted me to display for sale five to six large metal prints of my photography.

I'm a vineyard manager by trade and dabble in photography as a hobby. I've donated prints to fundraisers over the last few years and really get a sense of satisfaction when they sell for a good cause. Anyway, she found my photos through a local charity auction and has asked if I want the pictures shown on consignment or she will buy them outright from me. I'm honored for being considered, but I'm not sure the direction to go. I don't consider myself a pro (far from it), but I'm proud of my photos and don't want to be taken advantage of. Is there an advantage to consignment? I'm way out of my league here and want to do the right thing.

Thanks for your time!

Mike

Aug 30, 2014 at 09:08 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for pros..

Mike,
First, I hope you are OK after the earthquake. I was in Sonoma 6 weeks ago and loved it! I thought about all my new friends and hope they weren't affected.

I would think it's a matter of a "bird in hand", trading more potential income for a sure sale.

Pricing decorative prints is tricky. You want to price the prints to be in line with the rest of the items in the store. Can you visit Calistoga? There's a nature photographer who has a gallery there. That might give you some idea of pricing. Also, be sure to check to see how much your cost of goods sold is going to run. You'll want premium prints. Be sure to educate your client on the difference between professional printing and cheap internet services. Five or six prints will probably take a fair outlay on your part. If you put them in on consignment, you'll never know when you'll get your money out of it.

You might want to offer to sell the first group outright with the option to consign more. If the store owner agrees, I'd price the prints pretty aggressively at first to give them a break as they start their business. This might pay dividends down the road and create a good working relationship with them.

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:00 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for pros..

Consignment means you front the cost of production, and the store gets the benefit of displaying your work at no risk. Their only investment is wall space. You're much better off selling them outright.

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:04 AM
SonomaMike
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for pros..

dmacmillan wrote:
Mike,
First, I hope you are OK after the earthquake. I was in Sonoma 6 weeks ago and loved it! I thought about all my new friends and hope they weren't affected.

I would think it's a matter of a "bird in hand", trading more potential income for a sure sale.

Pricing decorative prints is tricky. You want to price the prints to be in line with the rest of the items in the store. Can you visit Calistoga? There's a nature photographer who has a gallery there. That might give you some idea of pricing. Also, be sure to check to see
...Show more

Thank you! I offered to the owner exactly what you said and they readily agreed.

Thanks again... I really appreciate the advice.

We're all ok after the earthquake. From everyone I've spoken with, it seems the worst of the damage was actually in the town of Napa. We were harvesting when it happened here in Sonoma.... Very weird sensation in the middle of a vineyard at 3am when the earth is shaking!

Sep 01, 2014 at 05:20 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for pros..

You could tell them you need the funds from the first batch to produce the replacements that they will need on hand or available the next day after the image sales to fill the hole that the image occupied. These are single run images or a limited number run batch? If the latter then the problem may not arise if you have several ran at a time call it X of 500 but only run five or ten at a time at the beginning that will cut down on both of your overhead. If it is one of a kind make sure to keep records so you don't accidentally choose it years down the road again.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.