New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

shutterbug guy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

Yep, that's been my experience with the 24-70 f2.8L II. It's gotten so bad and embarrassing that I bought a new hood. The new hood fits like the old one did when it was new. I sure hope I don't have to start buying replacement hoods for this lens. Putting tape on it would be workable but geeze, tape on an expensive lens like that, just doesn't seem right.

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:53 AM
jchin
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

Mine falls off too. Tape sounds like a nice simple fix.

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:25 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

eyelaser wrote:
I thought it was just me. My first hood cracked the inner ring for reasons I can't fathom and wouldn't lock...bought a second one which worked the first couple of times and now it won't lock....very frustrating...it does fit snug enough but am sure it will eventually fall off when I'm not paying attention.
Eric

My can easily cross thread and be a bear to remove.

Sep 01, 2014 at 01:58 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

I was searching for issues with the hood of my 24-70II and found this thread. My hood has stopped locking. The button is flush with the outside of the lens hood and doesn't pop out when turned into place. It then can rotate off the lens, which is what happened yesterday as I climbed down a steam bank. Luckily the hood stopped short of the water or it might have been swept away. I've tried to get the button to spring out by hand but it hasn't helped. The hood on my 70-200II works great. I guess it's just a matter of time until I lose the hood off the smaller zoom. It's out of warranty, but I'll give CPS a call anyway if for no other reason than to let them know they might have a problem with the design.

Sep 11, 2014 at 02:22 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

Mine seems OK but I have sat on the camera/lens and the hood went in to the lens but came off OK and seems undamaged.

Sep 11, 2014 at 09:59 PM
bvogel

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

I lost several hoods for the 24-105.

Sep 13, 2014 at 08:34 PM
pcho
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

Tapeman wrote:
Mine seems OK but I have sat on the camera/lens and the hood went in to the lens but came off OK and seems undamaged.

I did not sit on mine but just bumping it around in events shooting created the same problem. The hood went into the lens, happened once, twice and then a few more times before the release button won't come up again. Bought a new one and it wouldn't lock tight all the time. Not happy at all. Poor design.
Perry

Sep 13, 2014 at 08:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

shutterbug guy wrote:
.. Putting tape on it would be workable but geeze, tape on an expensive lens like that, just doesn't seem right.

It's OK, as long as it's the finest quality Gaffer's tape (Lee Valley). That's what I use on many of my lenses, regardless of their value. If you have a problem that tape can cure, then why look elsewhere? After a while, it sort of "sticks on you"..

Sep 13, 2014 at 08:50 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

Not yet. I like it. It doesn't feel like you will wrench the extending tube out of alignment just to put it on or remove it (like say with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 hood).

Sep 13, 2014 at 09:24 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

shutterbug guy wrote:
Yep, that's been my experience with the 24-70 f2.8L II. It's gotten so bad and embarrassing that I bought a new hood. The new hood fits like the old one did when it was new. I sure hope I don't have to start buying replacement hoods for this lens. Putting tape on it would be workable but geeze, tape on an expensive lens like that, just doesn't seem right.

If you look around at events and athletic games, the guys using the old 70-200s and 24-70s will all have tape holding the hoods of their lenses on. It beat the pants off of having a hood fall off.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM
buddy duck
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

I had the exact same experience NCAndy described above--the locking mechanism could not be pushed into the slot to lock. Since it was out of the one yr warranty I decided to take a small screwdriver to the tiny phillips screws that hold the small retaining ring--that holds the spring loaded locking mechanism in place. I was not very hopeful but figured I "had nothing to lose." As I began to unscrew one screw--when it had loosened maybe 1/4 turn--I heard a "snap" and feared something had broken. But it was the locking mechanism that had been allowed to snap back into place--apparently the screws on the retaining ring had been too tight. So I never removed the ring or the mechanism. I just snugged the screw gently back into place, being careful not to over tighten, and it's worked perfectly since. Sharing my story in case it helps.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

buddy duck wrote:
I had the exact same experience NCAndy described above--the locking mechanism could not be pushed into the slot to lock. Since it was out of the one yr warranty I decided to take a small screwdriver to the tiny phillips screws that hold the small retaining ring--that holds the spring loaded locking mechanism in place. I was not very hopeful but figured I "had nothing to lose." As I began to unscrew one screw--when it had loosened maybe 1/4 turn--I heard a "snap" and feared something had broken. But it was the locking mechanism that had been allowed to
...Show more

Hey, very good to know and I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

I did what buddy duck recommended, loosened the screws that hold the lock ring in place on the 24-70II hood. The button released, though not as far as the one on the 70-200II hood, but enough to lock the hood in place on the lens. I re-tightened the screws but not quite as I found them, which were very tight. The button now works but has a very light touch. It's certainly better than not working at all.

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:29 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

Mine must be a revised design, it doesn't come off unless I remove it...

Sep 15, 2014 at 03:53 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

I have "fixed" loose hoods before by putting small strips of duct tape on the inside of the grooves on the hood. The tape narrows the width of the groove and provides friction, making it a little harder to twist the hood.

Sep 15, 2014 at 05:19 PM
zlatko
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

mmurph wrote:
Mine is solid. As I rotate it into place, it "clicks" as it locks in place. No problem with it coming loose or falling off. It can't rotate back against the lock.

Maybe if it isn't aligned and put on carefully, that lock piece breaks? I don't see how mine could fall off without that lock unlocking so that it could twist.

No problem with mine either. Seems like a good design.

Sep 15, 2014 at 05:39 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

Taping lens hoods??!! OMG....what a step backwards. I agree that on some L lenses the hood is more difficult to turn correctly into place than on others. This is the case for example in the 100-400 (you can easily mis-turn it that it sits loosely). Another fairly loose hood is on the 8-15/4 fisheye lens - it can easily come off. The hood on my 24-70/2.8 version I sits well, never had an issue here. One of the best and easiest hood turns is with the 17-40/4 - this one you can't turn worng. No experience with the newer vers II lenses mentioned here, but it doesn't sound great.

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:40 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

retrofocus wrote:
No experience with the newer vers II lenses mentioned here, but it doesn't sound great.

It's a looser fit then the mkI. For most use it's probably fine but if you expect to have your gear bounced around a bit like being in a crowd it's best to tape it.

Sep 17, 2014 at 08:10 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 24-70 f2.8L II Lens Hood Issue

oh well. so it goes....
my sony fe 35mm hood comes off just by looking at it.
I have tape on that one.

David

Sep 17, 2014 at 08:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.