FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

J4644
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

Robert,

Yes, I know that going with Mountain Lion just buys me some additional time and that I will have to deal with this situation within the next year or two again. I am on the fence at this point as far as which way I am going to go. Hopefully, I can get more information from FM members to make this decision.

Thanks,

Jim

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:17 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

I have never seen a x.0 version of any software, OS or app, that was perfect. I also have not ever suffered any drastic ill effects by adopting new iterations early on. Every stable OS that is cheered about from the streets may have once suffered from a bumpy start.

Over the years, I installed and used 10.2, 10.4, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 just as soon as I could get my hands on them. I did't do this lightly or just so I could have the latest and greatest, but to take advantage of features that could streamline and/or simplify my workflow. I did my research and usually completed a short trial on a secondary startup drive on one machine before upgrading all units.

I'm still in business and suffered no severe problems. Yes, I did have to update/upgrade some other software. I also had to abandon a few old utilities and apps that either could not or would not be updated to be included with new OS versions. Though, I usually found free or low cost replacements that were better, faster and more efficient than the older apps and utilities.

Today, with the option of public beta tests and the ability to add an inexpensive secondary startup drive to use as a test platform, there really is little to fear in moving forward when technology makes advancements. It takes little time to install the new OS on an external drive, kick the tires yourself. Certainly no more effort than reading about negative issues others may have experienced. Try it out for yourself, then you KNOW for sure. After all, 10.9 is FREE.

It's the old adage, the negative reports you see on the internet are but a very small sub set of users having issues. It is rare that you will get users flocking to the support forums to shout their praises of the new offerings when things are going well. Most folks only take the time for such things when they are having problems. Thus, it can look like a one-sided issue with the negative viewpoint making the biggest impact.

I'm not saying that users are not having issues or that anyone should venture forth without all due caution. What I am saying is, you can't make a definitive decision about buying a car purely on the opinion of others and never test driving the vehicle yourself.

Sep 01, 2014 at 02:35 PM
J4644
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

Butch,

I totally agree about test driving a car before purchase. It has to feel right to me. There are just so many variables that are at work here. Corel Painter 12 and custom brushes, CS6 and some actions, Canon iPF6300 printer plug-in, all my custom profiles and media etc. that something is bound to not function or be greyed-out. But I think you have a great point to start with a secondary startup drive. I think I may just leave my old machine intact just in case.

Thanks,

Jim

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:08 PM
macrobild
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

gdanmitchell wrote:
Pedantically speaking ;-)... you calibrate your monitor and you create a profile to hold that information.

But realistically speaking, who cares? ;-)

Dan

I do

1 .you are creating a profile for your monitor

2 .you are not calibrating your monitor which affect the the monitor electronics and adjust color temperature etc etc

If we shall discuss things like DR, Resolution, color depth , skin tones or whatever it is good to define what we are discussing by using the right term

Sep 01, 2014 at 05:02 PM
hpktuohpfly

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

Get the color balance to be as close as possible to accurate.

Sep 02, 2014 at 04:43 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

I know that Corel Painter 12 dies with Mavericks.

Sep 02, 2014 at 04:42 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

Brit-007 wrote:

Current version works perfectly. Eventually all software gets left behind by OS change.

Robert

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:02 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

Brit-007 wrote:

Corel has a post in their knowledgebase that explains how to start Painter 12 with Mavericks.

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:52 PM
J4644
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Apple's new 27 inch with Maverick

Dan,

Thank you. It is not only for Mavericks, but possibly Lion and Mountain Lion also.

Jim

Sep 03, 2014 at 04:46 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.