Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Dauphin Island delights

Plinian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dauphin Island delights

Primarily known as a hotspot for fallouts during spring migration, Dauphin Island also is a great spot for shorebirds as I discovered earlier this week. The best part: even though it's in Alabama (where most of the interest in birds revolves around duck season), these birds are very approachable. Not quite like Fort DeSoto, but also a bit more wild. These are all commoners, but the backgrounds and environment were terrific, making it worthwhile to get down and a bit dirty.

Comments/criticisms/advice always appreciated.

Greg

#1 Breakfast for Snowy

Canon EOS-1D X    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    700mm    f/7.1    1/2500s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

#2 Blue on Green (apologies to Miles)

Canon EOS-1D X    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    700mm    f/7.1    1/2500s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

#3 Snowy (I think) EDIT: Dr. Anderson corrected me...a juvi semipalmated (orange legs are a giveaway)

Canon EOS-1D X    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

#4 Semipalmated cousin of #3

Canon EOS-1D X    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

#5 Herb and Mike should recognize this one

Canon EOS-1D X    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Aug 30, 2014 at 06:41 PM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:00 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dauphin Island delights

Magnificent set here Greg! I especially like the GBH (lots of nice texture with all the sticking out feathers) and the immi at the end. Sharp, clean images.

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:04 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dauphin Island delights

Terrific set, Greg. It is nice to see you post again. All are beautiful. I love #1 the most.

- Tam

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:07 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dauphin Island delights

Welcome back Greg and this re-entry post is terrific.
Love the low angle POV in this series, it's always worthwhile to get down and dirty.
Exposure is very well controlled on what looks like an overcast day, each image has clean detail and rich color... #2 GBH is gorgeous Greg.
Beautiful work my friend, and I'm hoping to see more soon.

Kirk

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:58 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dauphin Island delights

These look great, Greg. Digging in particular the color tones in the second one, but I also appreciate the proper exposure of the first one.
They all show fine detail and clarity with nice isolation of the subjects. Well done No need to improve these
Socrate

Aug 30, 2014 at 04:02 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dauphin Island delights

Greg, these are fantastic. Love the POV on all of these. Your effort to 'get down and dirty' paid off nicely on these. Terrific backgrounds. All excellent.

Ed

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Natures Photo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dauphin Island delights

EXCELLENT SET OF IMAGES, NUMBER ONE IS FANTASTIC.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dauphin Island delights

A super set Greg. All are very well done but 2, 4, and 5 stand out ~ Ron

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dauphin Island delights

Yessir Greg, great to see you back and posting This really is a marvelous set, the techs are spot on for all of these and as you said the backgrounds are wonderful. All of these are so good it's hard to choose but I'm going with the plovers, these really are remarkable examples of what can be a difficult bird to photograph (at least they are around here!) Super!

Tim

Aug 30, 2014 at 02:13 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dauphin Island delights

Hey Greg

Back in Alabama I see! Nice collection of stuff. You got #1 in the act! Your Snowy plover is actually a juvenile Semipalmated plover, for the record.

Dorian

Aug 30, 2014 at 02:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dauphin Island delights

Hi Greg! So good to see you back posting here. Your shots are absolutely amazing . Love them all

Glad you finally made it to Dauphin island. What did you think?

Birdie

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:06 PM
brimull
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dauphin Island delights

Beautiful set. Nice exposures and dreamy backgrounds.

Brian M.

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:22 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dauphin Island delights

Very nice low angle work, Greg.
Great action in #1.
#2 looks terrific, amazing colors, details.
#4 is sweet. If cornered I would pick #5 as favorite. Love it.
Chris

Aug 30, 2014 at 03:45 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dauphin Island delights

All are great Greg with 2 and the last stand outs

Morris

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dauphin Island delights

Great set Greg, the last one sure looks familiar. The blacks and yellow crowns do look very similar as juveniles, but I understand their beak color is usually opposite as their specie's name. Black juvis have more yellowish bill, yellow crowned juvis have more of a fatter black bill like this one. TFS

Aug 30, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dauphin Island delights

KCollett wrote:
Magnificent set here Greg! I especially like the GBH (lots of nice texture with all the sticking out feathers) and the immi at the end. Sharp, clean images.

Thanks, Ken; this guy (or girl) was a juvenile, and seemed totally nonplussed by my presence.
---------------------------------------------

canon.eos30d wrote:
Terrific set, Greg. It is nice to see you post again. All are beautiful. I love #1 the most.

- Tam

Thanks so much, Tam...feels good to be back! (I've been lurking but not posting/commenting so much).

KirkB wrote:
Welcome back Greg and this re-entry post is terrific.
Love the low angle POV in this series, it's always worthwhile to get down and dirty.
Exposure is very well controlled on what looks like an overcast day, each image has clean detail and rich color... #2 GBH is gorgeous Greg.
Beautiful work my friend, and I'm hoping to see more soon.

Kirk

Appreciate it, Kirk, especially the thumbs-up about low angle POV (since I learned it from seeing your posts!). Yup; it was a cloudy and somewhat stormy sky (the only way an Alabama summer day is ever really tolerable!).

Shasoc wrote:
These look great, Greg. Digging in particular the color tones in the second one, but I also appreciate the proper exposure of the first one.
They all show fine detail and clarity with nice isolation of the subjects. Well done No need to improve these
Socrate

Socrate, what a delight to hear from you! I thought about you at the turnoff to Pensecola from Mobile...it's odd, but this stretch of land on DI seems much better for shorebirds than other places I've seen off of 30A. (Have not yet tried Gulf Shores/Fort Morgan).

teked wrote:
Greg, these are fantastic. Love the POV on all of these. Your effort to 'get down and dirty' paid off nicely on these. Terrific backgrounds. All excellent.

Ed

Appreciate it Ed. In fact, I was thinking about you yesterday during a discussion about a trip to Corcovado!
(Loved the milkweed traffic jam).

Natures Photo wrote:
EXCELLENT SET OF IMAGES, NUMBER ONE IS FANTASTIC.

Thanks, David! It's fun to see the differences between heron fishing styles--GBH, Snowys, Little Blue--all completely different!

surfnron wrote:
A super set Greg. All are very well done but 2, 4, and 5 stand out ~ Ron

Appreciate it, Ron; thanks so much for stopping by.

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Yessir Greg, great to see you back and posting This really is a marvelous set, the techs are spot on for all of these and as you said the backgrounds are wonderful. All of these are so good it's hard to choose but I'm going with the plovers, these really are remarkable examples of what can be a difficult bird to photograph (at least they are around here!) Super!

Tim

Thanks so much, TIm! Semipalmateds are a dime a dozen around here. I lightened up the eye area a bit in post; otherwise, these little guys look kind of dingy.

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:09 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dauphin Island delights

dorian wrote:
Hey Greg

Back in Alabama I see! Nice collection of stuff. You got #1 in the act! Your Snowy plover is actually a juvenile Semipalmated plover, for the record.

Dorian

Dorian, what a delight to hear from you! (Have not checked the blog in the last couple of days so uncertain whether you are headed towards Rainier in pursuit of Sooty Grouse, or still drinking coffee and listening to grunge rock.) And, yes, since 99.9% of big plovers are Black-bellied, and 99.9% of small plovers are Semipalmated, one would have thought I might have gotten that ID correct. Need a VENT lesson.

birdied wrote:
Hi Greg! So good to see you back posting here. Your shots are absolutely amazing . Love them all

Glad you finally made it to Dauphin island. What did you think?

Birdie

Hi Birdie, great to hear from you, and thanks so much for the comment. DI was great, although one would need some time in Louisiana to be prepared for the heat.

brimull wrote:
Beautiful set. Nice exposures and dreamy backgrounds.

Brian M.

Thanks, Brian!

CDaescher wrote:
Very nice low angle work, Greg.
Great action in #1.
#2 looks terrific, amazing colors, details.
#4 is sweet. If cornered I would pick #5 as favorite. Love it.
Chris

Hi Chris; great to hear from you, and thanks for stopping by. (Still waiting for someone to comment about my Miles reference...calling Eric).

morris wrote:
All are great Greg with 2 and the last stand outs

Morris

Thanks, Morris!

Herb Houghton wrote:
Great set Greg, the last one sure looks familiar. The blacks and yellow crowns do look very similar as juveniles, but I understand their beak color is usually opposite as their specie's name. Black juvis have more yellowish bill, yellow crowned juvis have more of a fatter black bill like this one. TFS

Ah, Herb, I hesitated to post this one, because I don't think anything can compare to your and Mike's Y/B CNH series earlier this year. (I've seen a couple black juvis and thought they could also be distinguished from the yellow based on body proportions...the blacks seem to have lost their necks!)

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:17 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dauphin Island delights

What a beautiful collection of images Greg...the IQ on these is top shelf and with some really nice poses to go along with the techs. While all are superb the blue on green is stunning
Eric

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:17 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dauphin Island delights

Excellent set Greg, #1 has great detail and fantastic exposure on the whites,
plus some fish flipping

-Tim

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:48 PM
naturesmoments
• • •