FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

For some time now I've wanted to photographic this old rust bucket under an aurora filled sky. This car is about 20mins from home so I have photographed it numerous times over the past 6 years.

Click here to see a Flickr set of this old car!

Until now I haven't had a chance to capture it with aurora. Or, previous times of aurora, I simply forgot about it or was at another location. It wasn't the aurora show I had envisioned but it was a good show none-the-less for where I was. If I was a couple house north I bet it was quite spectacular. I spent about 2 hours there shooting and left around 3am when things started to die off. I am still trying to catch up on sleep! To be honest at first I wasn't going to head out. My friend was over that evening and we had finished a great evening of guitar music and song writing. When he was leaving, I was outside looking at the sky contemplating going out or not. I could see the green glow through the trees and a little encouragement from my friend I decided to head out. I am very happy I did. I thought about sharing my favourite image but I can't decide which I like most so I am going to post a series instead. I'm leaning towards #1.

Photos #1-3 are 2 image blends with natural light. There was no moonlight and to be able to get a decent exposure of the car and ground I needed a super long shutter speed. Even at F5.6 and ISO800 I needed over 4min of exposure to get something usable in post. F3.2/ISO640 was used for the sky.

Photo #4 is a single exposure where I used my trusty LED flash light to paint the car and surroundings. It took several tries to get a good balance of light. This was the photo I was most excited about when shooting.

Photo #5 is a somewhat of a failed star trail photo. At some point while exposing for the star trails I must have bumped my tripod causing a shift. I tried to combine them but it was impossible. So this is made from about 20min of exposure when I was shooting for 30min. Next time, if I get another chance, I will try for an hour minimum. These trails are not long enough. I took 34 images for the star trails at F3.2/30sec/ISO640 and 1 at F5.6/30sec/ISO400 with light painting for car and ground.

All images shot with Canon 7D + Samyang 14/2.8.

Hope you enjoy!

Click photos to view on black (recommended)!

Thanks for looking!

Aug 29, 2014 at 06:30 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Spectacular images. I like all but #4 is especially appealing. The light painting and details of the foreground in #4 is striking. Well worth loosing few hours of sleep.
Harsha

Aug 29, 2014 at 07:12 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Ditto Harsha's comments!

Aug 29, 2014 at 07:37 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Hey Scott,

With the title you gave this thread I was expecting something cool and unusual. Well I think you out did yourself here... Man... these are awesome. Maybe because I have never shot an aurora before, I think the aurora you got was perfect, I wouldn't be asking for more!

But that brings me to a problem... I am not sure which of these to pick as my favorites... can I pick all 5? You certainly aren't making it easy with these. I will make an attempt, but I reserve the right to change my order of favorites...

#4 is tops I think, those flowers set it apart. Then #5, your failed star shot is my #2 shot. And then the other 3 you can flip a coin as to their order...

Jim

Aug 29, 2014 at 07:40 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

I agree w/Jim.
Each of these has it's own quality due to different aurora display.

But I have to ask, "where is the orb"

Dan

Aug 29, 2014 at 08:21 PM
blueshadows
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Scott, really glad you went out that evening (morning). For me, the first three are the most interesting, especially where the aurora's colors reflect on the metal. And of course, that headlamp in the first.

I think those are also your best compositions. The last two...seem gimmicky, where attention is drawn from the aurora/car combination by the unnatural-appearing light painting. The aurora colors also seem strange. The car's in the same position in both of them, too. Against the first trio they seem like afterthoughts. My .02.

Aug 29, 2014 at 09:27 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Awesome Scott!
I got to go with #4 of course!

Now I know what to do with the old jalopies I find (just need an aurora!)

Aug 29, 2014 at 09:54 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Fantastic images Scott!

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Great series. Reading about all the solar activity over the past year has driven me crazy. I live too far south for this goodness. Good job.

David

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:42 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Scott,
All of these rock, I especially love #3 & 4. really creative comps as well. Looks like you had a pretty nice display to work with. I will be working up in Edmonton in a few weeks so I am heading up to Yellowknife on the 12th-15th for a few nights with some moonlight I'm hoping for some nice displays. Great job here
Regards,
Dean

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:58 AM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Truly spectacular set om images. I think they work really well together.

Aug 30, 2014 at 09:38 AM
quickking
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

These are all wonderful. The first three remind me of flying with night vision goggles where everything is green.

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Thank you all so much for your comments! Greatly appreciated!

dswiger wrote:
I agree w/Jim.
Each of these has it's own quality due to different aurora display.

But I have to ask, "where is the orb"

Dan

Thank you Dan. It's best not to taunt the orb, it may arise from its resting place...

blueshadows wrote:
Scott, really glad you went out that evening (morning). For me, the first three are the most interesting, especially where the aurora's colors reflect on the metal. And of course, that headlamp in the first.

I think those are also your best compositions. The last two...seem gimmicky, where attention is drawn from the aurora/car combination by the unnatural-appearing light painting. The aurora colors also seem strange. The car's in the same position in both of them, too. Against the first trio they seem like afterthoughts. My .02.

Thank you so much Bill. I know the light painting thing is not for everyone, including myself for the most part, but I don't mind how these turned out. Maybe with a little luck I can catch more aurora with moonlight to illuminate the car and surroundings. I was actually most excited about #4 when reviewing my exposures on site but after processing I really like the mood and light in the first 3 more. That is why I am leaning towards #1 as my fav. I might give the milky way a try soon too. Tonight is calling for clear skies so maybe even tonight.

DSC01 wrote:
Scott,
All of these rock, I especially love #3 & 4. really creative comps as well. Looks like you had a pretty nice display to work with. I will be working up in Edmonton in a few weeks so I am heading up to Yellowknife on the 12th-15th for a few nights with some moonlight I'm hoping for some nice displays. Great job here
Regards,
Dean

Thank very much Dean! Best of luck with your upcoming trip. Unfortunately aurora are unpredictable but the further north you go the better your chances to see them. Even if they are not that strong.

Aug 30, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Mudflap
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Excellent shots. I haven't seen the aurora since the 60s! Going to have to move to Alaska!

Aug 30, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Mudflap wrote:
Excellent shots. I haven't seen the aurora since the 60s! Going to have to move to Alaska!

Thank you Jim. I guess since I have no stunning landscapes up here where I am mother nature has compensated slightly by giving me aurora to shoot once in a while!

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Scott,
A wonderful series and really liking the first and last two. The fourth image is my favorite! All are nicely captured.

Aug 31, 2014 at 07:28 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

+1 What everyone else has already said. And... "WOW!!"

Aug 31, 2014 at 08:49 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Scott - just fantastic images man! As mentioned, no way to pick a fav, all are great.

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:46 PM
Nancy Asquith
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

These are all breathtaking. However, I have no difficulty picking #3 as my favorite, because the aurora is dancing in that one.

Nancy

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:50 AM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Alien Hot Rod (Aurora)

Great set of images Scott,

My faves are #1 and #4. I'm leaning towards #1. I love that green glow. Very x-files like :P

Jason

Sep 01, 2014 at 01:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.