FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Waiting For The Light @ Ox Bow

toddm
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waiting For The Light @ Ox Bow

I have been visiting and photographing in GTNP and YNP since the big fires in the late 80's. My work/life balance has permitted trips sometimes once a year, and sometimes twice a year. But, surprisingly I had never gone by myself until last year!

I have been to the same old locations so many times I was beginning to struggle with finding inspiration. As you may know there are so many more photographers at the landmark locations than there ever used to be, so I typically roam the parks for locations void of the crowds. Off the beaten path so to speak.

So I found myself asking now that I can go anywhere in the park and linger as long as my heart desires [no bored wife - no hungry & bored kids] where do I want to go? I settled on Ox Bow Bend. Got there earlier than usual and watched as the shore line of the Snake River filled with heal to toe photographers. I struck up the usual conversation(s) with those around me and we waited for the light.

It was not looking good for one of those "perfect" alpine glow mornings with the perfect cloud cover. As the morning progressed the clouds were getting worse not better.

The first shot was the scene around 7:15am. Once the sun fully broke the horizon the crowd started to thin. Reflecting on I could stay as long I liked - I decided to stick around and see how the light plays out.

I lingered and watched as columns of light shown and danced around the valley between the cloud cover. If only a column of light could make it to the stand of trees in front of me! That would be perfect! With only 3 or 4 photographers left along the river about 45 minutes later the scene of the second shot presented itself in all its glory! It lasted less than 3 minutes - and I got it!

I learned that day - never give up on the light - and be patient!

C&C always welcome

© toddm 2014

© toddm 2014

Aug 29, 2014 at 02:43 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waiting For The Light @ Ox Bow

Alpinglow at the Tetons is always before direct light on the aspens. Even on great light days you usually get one or the other, not both at the same time.

I like the first, you were a bit early for good aspen color.

Aug 29, 2014 at 03:19 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waiting For The Light @ Ox Bow

Hey Todd,

I really like #1, that is some very cool light in it. #2 is also great with that spotlighting, but #1 takes it here.

As for Oxbow Bend, I learned a few years ago that while sunrise can certainly be very cool and special. And like you found out, I learned that actually the best time is often about 2 hours after sunrise, most of the people are gone and yet the light is often still very soft, the winds seem to calm down for a bit which brings back the reflective waters... so I almost always stick around there.

Aug 30, 2014 at 01:43 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.