New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New take on quilts

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New take on quilts

Here ya go with a couple new quilt shots. A different quilt and a different room.

The first is a very low angle with the 16-35. The second is higher with a 17tse shifted to catch the bottom.

Like to hear your preferences and also any new suggestions.

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New take on quilts

The second one gives us a better glimpse of the top, the first one maybe a bit more detail. Points look pretty good from here.

But, the real test is to see what the quilter thinks of it ... they make can us look like schoolkids when it comes to being picky. Personally, these make a rather nice concept for presentation for me. Although others may prefer the full spread square look, I think this is a nice balance/blend of detail and overall view of the top design.

Normally, you wouldn't do this, but I'd look at cropping through the (your work of course) upper 1/3 (or so) of the frames on the wall. Seeing them full, pulls my eye up toward your work (which is good, except) and that competes for attention away from the quilt.

We spend a split second in a capture (yeah, I know the hike there and the PP after, etc.) ... even allowing for a couple days of work on an image, it pales in comparison to the time commitment quilters put forth to a piece. Some go for weeks, some months, and some even more than a year invested, so it is prudent (imo) to give them our best @ presentation when we can.

Edited on Aug 28, 2014 at 05:42 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New take on quilts

Do I dare show it to her? She does not let this ex engineer look at the points too closely.

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New take on quilts

I look at the points, thread length and tension with great vigor (as she taught me to do) ... I just make sure I point out the really good ones and leave the rest to her tolerance level.

We talk a lot about how much precision gets strung out over distance (kinda like a slightly missed focus) ... but they already know that, so there's no need to mention it about a specific quilt or point (unless it is in process that they missed and can still adjust/correct).

I try not to incite any more Frog Stitches ... "Rip It, Rip It, Rip, It" ... than I absolutely need to. We do tend to micro-nit around here ... but, if you want to have a good relationship with a quilter, it does require a refined degree of judicious commentary.

Oh, and to your question ... show her, these present nice (just be ready for her to say she wishes them to be shot something diff) ... but they do present well. You'll get the hang of figuring out what she likes ... just listen to your client and don't try to tell her how photographers/engineers would do anything. Quilters are a bit of a (good) breed unto themselves.

I'd go with the second one ... as is ... and see what she says.

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New take on quilts

I'd suggest plain pillows, put them under the quilt or no pillows, rather than using strongly patterned pillow that compete with the quilt for visual attention.

Aug 28, 2014 at 06:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New take on quilts

AuntiPode wrote:
I'd suggest plain pillows, put them under the quilt or no pillows, rather than using strongly patterned pillow that compete with the quilt for visual attention.

I thought about them, probably could have taken them off. The quilt does not reach to the pillows, the low angle sort of fools you. I don't think we have any plain pillow cases.

Good catch anyway and something I will consider for the next go around.

Aug 28, 2014 at 06:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New take on quilts

+1 @ the pillows ... plain, none or under (for photo purposes).

Aug 28, 2014 at 07:00 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New take on quilts

Personally I want to see the quilt spread on the bed as you would make any bed normally. IMO having the quilt hanging off balance on one side messes with the beauty of the pattern as it's meant to be viewed.

I'd like to see the bed fully made and then shoot from high up angling downward, including the corner of the bed so that it shows how the pattern works as it falls at the corners.

Beautiful quilt!

Aug 28, 2014 at 07:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New take on quilts

DianeinCR wrote:
Personally I want to see the quilt spread on the bed as you would make any bed normally. IMO having the quilt hanging off balance on one side messes with the beauty of the pattern as it's meant to be viewed.

I'd like to see the bed fully made and then shoot from high up angling downward, including the corner of the bed so that it shows how the pattern works as it falls at the corners.

Beautiful quilt!

Well as I said, the problem is it is a lap quilt and does not cover the bed, hence the deceptive view. I need to find a full size quilt. Would you believe my wife does not like a quilt on our bed, says its too hot.

I attached a shot I just did last week the old way with my wife just holding it up. This one is gone now as a baby gift.

Aug 28, 2014 at 08:05 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New take on quilts

Yeah, quilts can be very warm, especially in the summer. I recall my summer quilt as a young child. It was a girl in bonnet design with a striped back but no fill. It was favorite. My winter quilt had a good measure of padding inside and was very warm.

Again nice quilting on your wife's part! Love the inclusion of the pink VW beetle!

Somehow I had missed that the quilt was a lap quilt. Sorry.

Aug 29, 2014 at 09:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New take on quilts

DianeinCR wrote:
Yeah, quilts can be very warm, especially in the summer. I recall my summer quilt as a young child. It was a girl in bonnet design with a striped back but no fill. It was favorite. My winter quilt had a good measure of padding inside and was very warm.

Again nice quilting on your wife's part! Love the inclusion of the pink VW beetle!

Somehow I had missed that the quilt was a lap quilt. Sorry.

No problem, I suggested to my wife that I take a shot with here wearing it as a lap quilt for an authentic ":in use" shot. She declined. I will work on her.

My daughter, my 11 YO granddaughter and my wife play slugbug. When they see a VW beetle they say "slugbug" and give a friendly tap on the shoulder. This inspired the slugbug quilt which all 3 worked on together. My granddaughters best friend is having a new baby brother hence the quilt.

Aug 29, 2014 at 09:52 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New take on quilts

These quilts are absolutely beautiful! The creativity, time and patience that goes into making these is to be admired greatly.
Since in my mind these are "works of art", I prefer the straight on approach of the second photo where you can enjoy it in it's entirety.
Another approach is to hang it on a white wall and take a portrait of your wife standing next to the quilt. That way we see "the artist" and her work. Or, would love to see a photo of her at her sewing machine holding the quilt in front of her. All kinds of possibilities here...

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New take on quilts

eeneryma wrote:
These quilts are absolutely beautiful! The creativity, time and patience that goes into making these is to be admired greatly.
Since in my mind these are "works of art", I prefer the straight on approach of the second photo where you can enjoy it in it's entirety.
Another approach is to hang it on a white wall and take a portrait of your wife standing next to the quilt. That way we see "the artist" and her work. Or, would love to see a photo of her at her sewing machine holding the quilt in front of her. All kinds
...Show more

I have been trying to get her to let me take her picture at her sewing machine. She thought my goal was a posterity shot because her health is not so great. It sort of hurt her feelings so I backed off. I need some counseling from my daughter on the subject.

Maybe I just need to make a clear wall display area with a hanging method.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New take on quilts

You might consider an abstract of your wife at her machine, pushing a quilt through. No facial recognition, but the "artist @ work" vibe remains.

Aug 29, 2014 at 01:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New take on quilts

I think we worked out a plan, but it will need to be at night to avoid outside light, and when a quilt she is hand quilting is further along.

I also figured a better way to record finished quilts. We will get a white sheet and pin the quilt to the sheet then I hang the sheet from rafters in my basement. This will give a nice flat view with a clean white background.

Aug 29, 2014 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.