Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Lighting for reception dancing.

BlaineM

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting for reception dancing.

I recently came across the "Post your best dancing shot" thread and it got me thinking about lighting for the dance floor. How are you lighting the dances? I think some are strictly bounce flash, and some have flash coming from the sides/back and I'm assuming some fill from bounced flash? Are these usually manual, TTL or a mix?

Aug 28, 2014 at 01:40 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Usually 2 lights on opposite corners of the dance floor. I can get 3 different lighting setups simply by moving while they're dancing.

They're always on manual. I use cheap speedlites that don't even have TTL. These pics below are various photos throughout the night. The lights never moved or changed power. The last shot shows a tungsten light in the background. That light is pin-spotting for their floating cake and not one of my lights.

Aug 28, 2014 at 01:51 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the kicker light is always distracting. It's the first thing my eye goes to.

I'm almost always on camera bounced gelled flash on ETTL @ + 0.7 exposure comp. I'm usually about a stop under ambient without the flash (most times 2.8 @ 1/100, 3200 ISO unless they're moving quicker)

Aug 28, 2014 at 03:03 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting for reception dancing.

One bounced on-camera, one off-camera as a back/rim/hair light.

I've done it this way for years, and I think I used to be much closer to Ron Dillon's examples above, but in recent years I've gone with a much more subtle approach. I'll keep that back light as high as possible, up to the top of my 13 foot stand if I can, and I dial the power down fairly low. Even when I'm shooting directly toward it, the back light is rarely in the frame since it is so high.

A random example I already had in Dropbox (you can see the stand of the backlight by the window):

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting for reception dancing.

2 lights on opposite corners. Then during dancing I'll put one on camera for dancing fill flash

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:04 PM
robots4joey

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting for reception dancing.

I too do 2 lights on opposite corners, these are on manual power. Then a TTL flash on camera for fill, sometimes I bounce it if there is a white and low ceiling.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Wayne Stewart
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighting for reception dancing.

With the flashes that are on manual power, do you guys usually have them at the same power level (if so, where are you normally at power wise?), and do you change that throughout the night, or do they mostly stay on the same settings?

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Wayne Stewart wrote:
With the flashes that are on manual power, do you guys usually have them at the same power level (if so, where are you normally at power wise?), and do you change that throughout the night, or do they mostly stay on the same settings?

I usually start at 1/8 power on the flash. I control the flash by adjusting my aperture. Just depends on room size, dancefloor size, where the speeches are taking place, etc.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:50 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Ive been experimenting with different recipes. I use two lights. One in each corner on the same side as kind of a backlight. Then on camera fill. Usually set to 1/64- 1/128 power on yongnuos witht high iso for ambient.
http://joshuagrasso.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Marrietta-Jewish-Wedding-SarahAlex-Etz-Chaim-54-of-96.jpg

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Wayne Stewart
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Good info. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2014 at 02:50 PM
BlaineM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm so glad I joined this site, its a great resource!

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:50 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lighting for reception dancing.

this is good info, what flashes are you using? I have 3 canon 600's that I could potentially do this set up with. I was thinking about getting AB800's for the dance floor instead but it sounds like i could just use my speed lights. do you have a battery pack on them?

Aug 30, 2014 at 08:53 PM
BlaineM

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lighting for reception dancing.

brett maxwell wrote:
One bounced on-camera, one off-camera as a back/rim/hair light.

I've done it this way for years, and I think I used to be much closer to Ron Dillon's examples above, but in recent years I've gone with a much more subtle approach. I'll keep that back light as high as possible, up to the top of my 13 foot stand if I can, and I dial the power down fairly low. Even when I'm shooting directly toward it, the back light is rarely in the frame since it is so high.

A random example I already had in Dropbox (you
...Show more

Thanks for the info, Brett. I think I like the look of this style, it separates them from the background without being distracting from their faces. With the on camera bounce, are you shooting it straight at the ceiling, and do you use the bounce card as well?

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:59 PM
MahtabBart

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lighting for reception dancing.

To light up the dance floor,you can place lights on the ground or can project it from the wall.lighting can turn a plain hall into a beautiful, picturesque reception

Sep 01, 2014 at 06:24 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lighting for reception dancing.

rondphoto wrote:
Usually 2 lights on opposite corners of the dance floor. I can get 3 different lighting setups simply by moving while they're dancing.

They're always on manual. I use cheap speedlites that don't even have TTL. These pics below are various photos throughout the night. The lights never moved or changed power. The last shot shows a tungsten light in the background. That light is pin-spotting for their floating cake and not one of my lights.

http://www.rondillonphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Mandarin-Oriental-Wedding-Las-Vegas-61.jpg

wow - did you give the client this one?

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:14 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Jeff Simpson wrote:
wow - did you give the client this one?

Yes why?

Sep 01, 2014 at 01:05 PM
hpktuohpfly

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lighting for reception dancing.

I find the kicker light is always distracting.

Sep 02, 2014 at 04:54 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lighting for reception dancing.

rondphoto wrote:
Yes why?

I just thought it was an accidental misfire - as if the flash went off @ 1:1 power. Happens to me sometimes and looks like that, so I have to usually scrap the image. Not a big deal though.

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:40 AM
McGrattan
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Jeff Simpson wrote:
http://www.rondillonphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Mandarin-Oriental-Wedding-Las-Vegas-61.jpg

I just thought it was an accidental misfire - as if the flash went off @ 1:1 power. Happens to me sometimes and looks like that, so I have to usually scrap the image. Not a big deal though.

Why would anyone scrap that image, its beautiful!

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:55 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lighting for reception dancing.

Wayne Stewart wrote:

My power settings are usually around 1/16 power. I change the power of each flash as needed, depending on what's happening where. I can control the power of each light from the camera so it's quite easy. I will also move my lights a bit depending on the venue to better light the cake cutting, speeches, etc.

I use 3 or 4 lights and no on-camera light except for the exit shots.

Sep 03, 2014 at 07:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.