Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

JimClark wrote:
I am thinking about replacing my 100-400 with the 150-600. My concern is weight. Is the 150-600 much harder to hand hold and get good images vs the one pound lighter 100-400?

No. Easier than holding a Canon 300 f2.8 or 500 f4.

Aug 29, 2014 at 03:46 PM
MDelinquento
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

JimClark wrote:
I am thinking about replacing my 100-400 with the 150-600. My concern is weight. Is the 150-600 much harder to hand hold and get good images vs the one pound lighter 100-400?

I use both with a gripped 5DMK3 and a 7D. I find that hand-holding the Tamron is very doable for a 2-3 hours with a few breaks. It's also a matter of conditioning, and it doesn't take a lot of "bulking up" to accommodate the weight difference.

I sometimes use a monopod if shooting more static subjects, but more often I'm freely swinging the thing around. So if you want a metric, how 'bout 25% harder.

I think a key to getting good images at longer focal lengths is ensuring that the shutter speed used is relatively fast. The Tamron's IS is OK, but you cannot beat physics.

M

Aug 30, 2014 at 02:06 AM
J-man

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

MD is correct if you are hand holding having a high shutter speed is critical. The 1/focal length rule would be the absolutely minimum. The VC can help but there are other factors such as wind, movement of your subject, etc. I know someone will say they have gotten sharp images at some crazy low shutter speeds (like 1/25s). I need techniques that are applicable in the field, not 1 out of 10 of the cat sleeping on the couch. For consistently, reliable results you need to have a high shutter speed. A tripod will still give the best results despite the use of VC/IS and even there you still need high shutter speeds to freeze the animals motion. Here was a worst case situation were the sun was already down and I was using a loosened tripod with VC on, 500mm, ISO 1600, f/6.3 and 1/200s. I would have liked a higher shutter speed but the 50D is already poor at ISO 1600 unless exposure is bang on and the lens was wide open.
http://www.sheridanphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/IMG_2296.jpg
Jay

Aug 31, 2014 at 01:07 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Jay, thanks for the review. I see you mentioned that the IS had to be off for panning, which I hadn't heard before. So I looked it up, and sure enough even Tamron says to turn it off. A disappointment, although I guess that might be another function of this price point.

Did you try IS on? Just wondering what happens.

Mark

Aug 31, 2014 at 01:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

I usually turn IS off when panning (or tracking) with my EF 500/4L IS.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1314389/1#12541850

Aug 31, 2014 at 03:36 PM
J-man

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Mark, I have taken many shots of moving animals with the VC on and the results are very inconsistent. Not because I mean to, it is just that the VC is on for an animal at rest and then it starts moving unexpectedly. The VC is so helpful for stationary subjects, but I need to learn to turn it off when on a tripod and an animal may be moving. Sometimes the pictures are alright but usually they are just a little bit blurred. It is almost like when panning the VC and the USD focus are fighting with each other. Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed the review and if you learned something even better.

Jay

Edited on Aug 31, 2014 at 11:33 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Jay,
Great review. I have had mine for about 3 months now and I agree with almost every word in your through review.
This lens is well worth the money. It does have a learning curve. Folks need to get it and go out and shoot. Learn it and it will provide decent results.
Thanx
EB

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Here is Imagemaster piggybacking a self promo on the Tamron lens discussion and showing another tour de force with its ghastly digital look.

He was incensed with my earlier refusal to publish on this forum AND PAY FOR IT, but he should be charged double fee for the privilege of advertising his stuff. I’m not trying to be obnoxious, but for someone calling himself Imagemaster I’d expect better, a lot better.

Sep 01, 2014 at 09:23 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Hmmmm, sounds like some history there. But I must say I rather liked his (Imagemaster) photos.

I know they require some "help" with PS but still the big Tammy is a buy in my book. I love mine.

Sep 01, 2014 at 09:58 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Lan11 wrote:
Here is Imagemaster piggybacking a self promo on the Tamron lens discussion and showing another tour de force with its ghastly digital look.

He was incensed with my earlier refusal to publish on this forum AND PAY FOR IT, but he should be charged double fee for the privilege of advertising his stuff. I’m not trying to be obnoxious, but for someone calling himself Imagemaster I’d expect better, a lot better.

Not quite sure what this little rant is all about, but it reminds me to ask Fred where we stand on adding a "Dislike" button.

In the spirit of making an effort to contribute, I'll say that I'm happy with the Tamron lens as well. I bought it for my eight year-old daughter to use when she accompanies me on outings. The Tamron 150-600 gives her the ability to take nice wildlife photos, and that in turn leads to an increased desire to learn about wildlife and human impact on habitats, etc. In my book, that's $1000 very well spent. Here are a couple of photos that she took this weekend using the Tamron mounted on a Canon SL1. No cropping or other processing- just LR conversion to JPG.

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:15 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

I like it very much! I hope she continues to enjoy photography.

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

A great post, Mitesh!

It looks like the lens is mounted on a gimbal but not a Wimberley... Mongoose perhaps?

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:14 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Chris B. wrote:
A great post, Mitesh!

It looks like the lens is mounted on a gimbal but not a Wimberley... Mongoose perhaps?

Thanks, Chris. You're correct, that's a Mongoose side-mount gimbal

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:32 AM
dfresh
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Excellent samples! Thanks for sharing your review.

Sep 01, 2014 at 03:57 PM
J-man

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

Thanks EB and dfresh I'm glad you took the time to read the review. I hope you enjoyed.

Lan11 I'm not sure what to make of your post you should hash any problems out with IM privately. I think the photo of the heron looked alright, in fact it inspired me to post a couple of my own.

Mitesh its good to see you getting the next generation involved in nature photography. Mine are a little to small still (2 and 5), but I look forward to the day when my daughters might join me in the field to make their own images. They both love nature and my oldest says she "wants to be a wildlife photographer to".

Jay

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Tamron 150-600mm Review (after 6 months)

My comment related to the posted example. Nothing personal. Imagemaster has a long history of spats re: cheaper equipment quality vs. top of the line, hence my reference.
Some people look at a picture and like it, others don't. As they say: "Different strokes...." I simply call them as I see them.

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.