Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

KiboOst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

Hi,

I've always preferred 1Ds bodies for integrated grip, better handling, robustness etc ...
I've now entirely switched to A7R with my L lenses for my photography work.

So, I now use my 1DsII only for my son photos, where very good and reliable autofocus is a must, and I love FullFrame and shallow dof.

My problem is that this body is heavy and big, so I don't take it everywhere and miss a lot of shots. Even in holidays I take my bag with A7R and the 1DsII just in case for my son (with big charger, batteries etc).

So, what could be a fast, very good AF, small and light body ? If possible with Canon EF mount so I can keep using my Ls ? Is 6D good enough regarding AF ? Any other solution ?

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:18 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

small (ish) , takes EF glass , FF = 2 choices really

6D or 5D3

the 5D3 is bigger (but not huge) if you dont have a grip . (I have the grip for my 5D3 and really dont like using it . i only use it on with my 120-300 and having just bagged everything up for a weekend trip im considering taking it off , it really adds to the bulk ).

never tried a 6D but from what i gather the AF is still very good . probably a good choice to go try one in a store

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:32 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

I have a 5DIII at work and will borrow it for a weekend to test it. But not being for business, the price is a bit up. If 6D AF could do the trick, it would be nice. Also asking myself abot the shutter lag. Something I always loved on 1Ds, you press the shutter and bam you are ready for another immediately. Really nice when kids moves on.

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:38 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

I agree with Ian - 6D might be the best FF Canon option in this regard. I have used the 5D MkIII for a couple of weeks, and its camera body is more bulky than my 5D MkII.

Nevertheless, I make the same experience - the A7R fits everywhere, and I take it with me in any photo bag. When I take my 5D MkII, I am always reminded on the convenience of having my more handy, smaller, and very powerful A7 body.

Aug 28, 2014 at 06:20 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

The 6D has very good AF with the centre point, and it's an excellent camera from almost every respect. Some users (or at least some discussers) don't like the multi-controller that's embedded in the quick control dial, instead of having a "joystick", but it doesn't bother me, at all. I currently shoot with a 1DX, 1DIV, and a pair of 6D, depending on what I'm doing (plus X-E2 and X100s).

Aug 28, 2014 at 06:51 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

I have, like and can recommend a 5DIII. I have been looking at the 6D and it looks good. I have had a couple of users recommend it to me. However I think now until the Photokina show is possibly the worst time to buy a camera. I would sit tight and see what the show has to offer. Maybe nothing you are interested in but possibly something to really shake things up. Also, I hold no faith in any of the rumors I/we have been getting.

Aug 28, 2014 at 07:04 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

Paul, I entirely agree with you and am not in any urge to order something now. So yes I will wait photokina, would be stupid ordering something now. Will try to test a 6D ...

Aug 28, 2014 at 07:31 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

For some reasons, i am thinking some full frame EF mirror less bodies coming sooner than later

Aug 28, 2014 at 03:17 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

mttran wrote:
For some reasons, i am thinking some full frame EF mirror less bodies coming sooner than later

Leica has been there for some time now. After using mirror less for a couple years I'm really glad to be using an OVF on a DSLR again.

Aug 28, 2014 at 03:20 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

mttran wrote:

I think if they don't bring something like that to the table at Photokina their sales will suffer.

Having a small FF EF mount camera is something a lot of us non-pros would buy, there has been a lot of discussion on this and other forums about this.

The raft of new USM/STM lenses that are well made and decently priced would marry well into a small EF mount camera system. The A7 has brought the mirrorless standard to FF and only a FF small body/OVF et al system will convince me to part with cash.

I did consider the SL1 as I love the size and weight. The stumbling block for me was the crop sensor. I don't need an amazing DR or triple bypass phase detect photon torpedoes, but I do want FF. After leaving my trusty 20D behind for the 5D2 then 5D3, crop just isn't going to do it.

I live in hope!

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:51 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

You could always go with the M. I saw that it really makes for a much more portable and lightweight system when shooting the 1200mm lens!

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

I'm not sure the M is fast enough regarding autofocus ... I even don't think any contrast detect AF will be as fast as phase detect soon.

I just tested 5DIII with a 85 1.2L and AF and shutter lag seems good enough. It is not really small, but smaller and lot lighter than 1DsII.
Anyway, something strange is that with 85 1.2L at 1.2, the shot is a loooot more blurry (out of focus zone) than in viewfinder. Never seen this with 1DsII. Is it normal ? 5DIII has the standard focusing screen.

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:19 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

Have you read the A6000 review: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1029860&gclid=CNP9vau3wsACFQhbfgodSAkAKw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

There is plenty of them on utube

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:32 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

KiboOst wrote:
Anyway, something strange is that with 85 1.2L at 1.2, the shot is a loooot more blurry (out of focus zone) than in viewfinder. Never seen this with 1DsII. Is it normal ? 5DIII has the standard focusing screen.

That party will depend on the focus screen you have in you Ds2 .
But also yes the screen in the 5D3 (not supposed to be user replaceable ) is not the high presicion type that's designed more for fast lenses but rather something that still shows a usable image with slower (5.6) lenses .

If you do a lot more manual focus stuff then it's Vf is not the best , the 6D (or older 5D2 ) would be the bette choice

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:53 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

Didn't look at a6000, seems a very nice piece of gear. But doesn't seems very good for shallow dof images. Standard zooms are slow, and being apsc doesn't help.

what about focus speed of Sony NEX 50mm f/1.8 OSS ? Regarding price, size, weight, it could be a nice combination ! Will try to find example for dof and focus speed/accuracy.
I'm more after that :

http://www.nicolasgenette.com/axel/4Ans/photos/_MG_4712.jpg

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:09 AM
Zplusc3
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

If considering apsc cameras, how does the xt-1 and a6000 AF speed and accuracy compare to the SL1?

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:41 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

KiboOst wrote:
what about focus speed of Sony NEX 50mm f/1.8 OSS ? Regarding price, size, weight, it could be a nice combination ! Will try to find example for dof and focus speed/accuracy.
I'm more after that :

Let me know what you think of the AF speed and camera response of the A7R + 50 f/1.8 combo.

I used m43 gear for a year, and found the general camera response and AF speed to be lacking.

I now use 6D + 50 f/1.4 for my kid and totally LOVE the system.Great camera response and AF speed. Fantastic DOF control. And OVF works a gazillion times better when I compose my photo than EVF.

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:43 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

thw2, I use my A7R with L lenses and metabones, so it is a no AF tool for my photography.
Thanks for your 6D feedback. what about off center AF points in interior low light with fast lenses ?

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:04 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

Sorry, I was thinking of the FE 55 f/1.8 lens to go with your A7R. Something for you to consider...

Looked through the photos I have taken of my daughter and realized I did not have many under low interior light. There was however a photo taken at ISO 12,800, f/2.2, 1/250 (I usually keep shutter speed high for my kid) with off-center AF point. No issue there. In general, I am quite happy with 6D AF (both center and peripheral AF points).

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:42 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Small and lightweight body ... but !

is the A7R not fullframe..? I thought it was?

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.