FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Film wedding shooters

rondphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film wedding shooters

Curious to see who's shooting film at weddings. Are you shooting film exclusively or film + digital? If both are you shooting both throughout the day or doing portraits in film? Curious to see workflow and gear or film being used.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film wedding shooters

I shoot about 65-70% film.
I have shot all formats in the past but this year went to all 35mm and 4x5 and dumped MF.
The MF processing and scanning was to expensive for color and really a PITA for black and white because all I have is a flatbed for scanning which takes forever.

I develop all my own BW and send the color to a local drugstore for quick developing.
My BW workflow is fairly simple. I process everything in XTOL for 35mm and HC110b for 4x5.
I then scan all the film on a Kodak Pakon scanner. Super fast and one of the reasons why I was able to start shooting more film at weddings.

I shoot HP5 and Superia 400 pretty much exclusively. Almost all of my hp5 is shot at 1600 and almost all of my superia is shot at 125. The superia is then developed normally (not pulled).

I shoot with a Leica M2 with 21/35/50 and a Nikon F100 with a 50 1.8G and 85 1.8G. My digital stuff is D3 and Leica M9 with all the same lenses.

I def. went for a super easy kit to try to minimize weight and complications with camera formats and lenses. I really could shoot the whole wedding with BW film and my M2 21/35/50 with a bit of F100 mixed in with the 85.
The only reason I shoot digital is if the light is so bad it is not worth wasting film.

We have been moving towards trying to shoot as much BW as possible with color for portraits etc.
Jackie still shoots digital.

Hope that all makes sense.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film wedding shooters

Why the underexposing of Superia? I like to push almost everything personally. What kind of results are you getting? Any examples?

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film wedding shooters

I shoot film for myself 90% of the time.

I find the solitude and challenge of the darkroom relaxing.

I enjoy the entire process and cool gear like Leica and Tachihara.

Anything published, models, friends, brides get digital.

Digital is work enough. Fiber prints for deep pocketed portrait clients is a rather absurd distant dream... at least for me.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film wedding shooters

rondphoto wrote:
Why the underexposing of Superia? I like to push almost everything personally. What kind of results are you getting? Any examples?

Sounds like he's overexposing not underexposing. Shooting 400 at 125 would mean opening your aperture or slowing down your shutter more = more light. Sometimes it fries my brain to try to think about it so I just set the meter instead so I don't have to think about it!

Doug,

Have all of the sets that you've posted reflected the overexposure on the color side or did you recently start doing it? Just asking because I want to know what I'm looking at when I go back to your sets or look at your blog. I'm curious about the 1 and 3/4 stop overexposure as well. I know film has that latitude but I think Id be so paranoid about blowing the highlights. Maybe after I did it a bunch I wouldn't.

Brad

Aug 28, 2014 at 03:55 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film wedding shooters

Also, I feel your pain on the developing costs. I'm about to break the bank just getting my summer family MF photos developed.. Can't imagine even a single wedding. Have you been pleased with the drug store developing? Do you do much post on the scans? Your color that I've seen has looked awesome.

brad

Aug 28, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film wedding shooters

I sometimes bring my Mamiya, or my F100, or my FG with an old lens stuck on it. It's fun, and a month or two later I send the film out, get it back, and it's awesome to send them a few small prints and a few scans of what I got.

Also, I now bring a Fuji Instax Mini to weddings, and a few packets of film. People LOVE it, as it has a Polaroid classic feel to it and young people love because they've never seen it, and people my age and older love because it brings back memories.

If I bring 3 packets of film to a wedding, it costs me around $22.50 for 30 shots. Totally worth it.

I wish I could find a way to stick my name/business card on the back. That would be amazing.

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:58 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.