New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

I'm curious as to what you guys use for hiking or travel tripods. I have a Feisol CT-3442 & Markins M20 head for "everything else" but I would like something extremely light and compact for traveling.

My criteria is as follows:

- As short as possible when folded up
- Made of Carbon Fiber
- As light as possible (obviously)
- Extends to a reasonable height (doesn't need to be eye level, but not waist level or anything like that..not interested in gorilla pod type things)
- Not insanely expensive
- Capable of holding at least a D810 & 16-35/4 combo

Now, this one looks pretty damn good:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917559-REG/sirui_bsrt025x_t_025x_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

Has anyone found anything that is better than that one? Reviews seem very good except for a handful.

Specs:
Load Capacity 13.2 lb (6 kg)
Maximum Height 54.5" (139.1 cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 48.6" (121.3 cm)
Minimum Height 10.2" (26.0 cm)
Retracted Height 18.9" (48.0 cm)
Folded Length 11.8" (30.0 cm)
Weight 1.7 lb (0.8 kg) including ball head

Appears to meet all my needs, is extremely small and light, holds over 13 lbs (more than any camera/lens combo I own), and even comes with a ball head for $240.

Or would I be better off making my own combo with something like a RRS BH25 head and this, albeit at double the price:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822142-REG/Sirui_BSRT1205_T_1205X_5_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Would appreciate any input!

Thanks!!

Edited on Aug 27, 2014 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2014 at 04:51 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

check out Gitzo's offerings - I'd bet they are better but have not seen comparative tests

Aug 27, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Alex Nail
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

I can only say that in my experience such extremely light tripods are only useful when there is no wind. That would massively limit their use for me. Personally I would recommend CF tripod that comes in at more like 1.6-2kg with head. For example a Gitzo 2-series. Of course it may just be that you don't really need much stability in which case I am sure that tripod will physically support your gear without breaking.

Incidentally these opinions are based on my experience using a gitzo 1-series tripod which I found inadequate for my 5DmkII.

Aug 28, 2014 at 07:38 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

Going cheap on a ballhead is usually a big mistake. No other piece of gear is more responsible for sharpness than a good ballhead. You spent something like $3,000 for a camera, but only looking at the cheapest tripod?

Kent in SD

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

Two23 wrote:
Going cheap on a ballhead is usually a big mistake. No other piece of gear is more responsible for sharpness than a good ballhead. You spent something like $3,000 for a camera, but only looking at the cheapest tripod?

Kent in SD

+100

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

It doesn't sound like you read my original post very carefully. Not only do I already own a ~$1,000 tripod/head setup, but I am also willing to add a Markins/RRS head onto another small tripod and make my own hiking combo. On top of all that, my budget is very open, I just don't want it to cost more than my existing setup. I am hardly looking for the cheapest option - find me a tripod and head at any price that matches or bests the weight capacities, and folded/extended lengths of the tripod I linked to and I'll be very interested. That's the whole point of this thread, to find out my options. The one I linked to is the only one I can find that meets my requirements, and it happens to be inexpensive.

I agree 100% with you comment otherwise - in fact that is often the advice I give others.

In my situation though, I already have an absolutely rock solid ~3.5-4.0lb combo (Feisol CT 3442 + Markins M20), it's just a bit big & heavy for hiking. I am looking for something that is much smaller and much lighter, without sacrificing too much quality for some quick tripod shots while on the trails. I don't care if it's slightly more susceptible to wind, I can work around that by hanging weight on the tripod, for example.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

CanadaMark wrote:
It doesn't sound like you read my original post very carefully. Not only do I already own a ~$1,000 tripod/head setup, but I am also willing to add a Markins/RRS head onto another small tripod and make my own hiking combo. On top of all that, my budget is very open, I just don't want it to cost more than my existing setup. I am hardly looking for the cheapest option - find me a tripod and head at any price that matches or bests the weight capacities, and folded/extended lengths of the tripod I linked to and I'll be
...Show more

I have a Benro Travel Angel (for 6 years) and use it when I want to go light and small. I can say, from my experience, they are excellent, and Benro has outstanding customer service. I have the older CF model I purchased new. Would do it again.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=benro+tripods&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Aug 28, 2014 at 01:07 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

lukeb wrote:
I have a Benro Travel Angel (for 6 years) and use it when I want to go light and small. I can say, from my experience, they are excellent, and Benro has outstanding customer service. I have the older CF model I purchased new. Would do it again.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=benro+tripods&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I actually bought one of those for my dad one year for his Birthday. Very good tripod for the price. Unfortunately they are larger and heavier than I was hoping for (pretty much the same as my current Feisol/Markins setup). I am looking for alternatives more like the one in my original post, if they even exist.

Aug 28, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

Check out the Mefoto Roadtripper or Globetrotter, which offer aluminum and carbon fiber versions. They are small, light and good quality.

Aug 28, 2014 at 02:32 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

Wildcats_Fans wrote:
Check out the Mefoto Roadtripper or Globetrotter, which offer aluminum and carbon fiber versions. They are small, light and good quality.

Those look quite good too - unfortunately only 2" shorter and almost the same weight as my Feisol/Markins setup.

I don't care so much about overall extended height, and I don't care if it has a center column (actually prefer if it didn't for increased stability and less weight).

At 11.8" folded, 1.7lb total weight, and a 13.2 lb load capacity I'm having trouble finding anything better than that Sirui from B&H. I could always replace the head with a Markins Q ball if it wasn't up to the task. It has a hook to hang your camera bag from as well for additional stability.

I do wish a more well known brand made something similar, I'd be happy to pay more, but I can't find anything with similar weight, load capacity, and folded length (yet).

This guy here, with the addition of a quality, compact, head is high on my list as well:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822142-REG/Sirui_BSRT1205_T_1205X_5_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Extremely positive and through review here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sirui-t-025x-travel-tripod-review/introduction.html

Aug 28, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

lukeb wrote:

I have the Benro Travel Angel A269, which is aluminum. I took off the ballhead that came with it and use my AcraTech head on it. It folds down to about 16 inches, which fits any suitcase. It's also very sturdy and I even use my 4x5 on it. However, it's still not as light as I would like. I have been considering buying the Benro Travel Angel C169, which is the carbon fiber version and is also one step down in capacity. Since I've gone with lighter camera for travel (Nikon D5100), this should work quite well. Carbon fiber does give you stiffness as well as less weight. I've been entirely happy with the A269, except for weight. I also like the twist locks rather than lever locks. Lever locks tend to catch on brush and other things. Downside to the Travel Angel is it has five sections, which takes a bit more time to set up. I sometimes leave one set of extensions pulled out when actually hiking and often stopping to make things go quicker. Even with one section extended it's still about the same length as my Gitzo 1325. The Benro is a well thought out mid priced tripod with a proven track record. My fear of buying the cheapest I can find is that it might just crumble, and spare parts would be hard to find.

Kent in SD

Aug 28, 2014 at 04:56 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

to modify part of the above...

Carbon fiber does give you [1] stiffness as well as [2] less weight, dampening of vibrations, unlike Al or steel, and [4] won't freeze your hands like Al will.

If you buy a cheap tripod you can always use it as a light stand later on.

At Yosemite last May, I saw several young guys (Chinese tourists?) with D800s, $3,000 lenses, and... Slik tripods.

OTOH, a cheap tripod is often better than no tripod.

I'd get the small Gitzo CF and use it... nobody has the same level of CF technology as Gitzo.

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:20 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

I'm constantly looking to fine tune my photo gear, and for the past two years I've especially been looking to shed weight. I just took another look at what B&H has to offer and they do have a huge selection. To narrow it down I came up with criteria that is important to me. Weight--less than 2.5 pounds, hieght--at least 55 in., folded length--no more than 18 in., load capacity--8 to 15 pounds, twist lock legs, under $400. Some explanation: a short tripod kills my back and often isn't tall enough to see over obstructions like fences. There are tripods that weigh under 2 pounds that will work for me! If a tripod will fold down to <18 in. it will fit in any of my suitcases and not hang too low off my Stratos backpack. While a 20 pound capacity means it's stiffer, it also adds bulk and weight which I don't need with my lighter camera. The Gitzo Travelers look excellent but I won't be using it enough to justify that cost and sometimes travel in "dicey" countries. One other factor for me but maybe not you is I use my gear in fairly cold conditions, e.g. 40 degrees below zero. I've learned the hard way that plastic parts easily shatter so I try to avoid plastic parts in critical places.

The Siru actually does look like it might be OK, but I do worry if parts would be available if needed. I'd check into how long they've been around and who else besides just B&H carries them. My fear with new brands is that if something breaks and no parts are available, might end up throwing the whole thing away.

Oben is also looking good to me, and is less than 2 pounds!l
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/864600-REG/oben_ct_2431_4_section_carbon_fiber.html

The problem now with Benro Travel Angel is it looks like they only sell it with their cheap ballhead, which ups the price. I reluctantly rule them out because of that.

Kent in SD

Edited on Aug 28, 2014 at 09:07 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:26 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

I just upgraded my Gitzo 0541 to an 0542, which is the Gitzo offering that aims at your type of use/want. A bit heavier than the 0541, yes, and a bit shorter, but the exta rigidity is worth it IMHO. With the 0541 the last section is only useable if there is no challenge to stability, so the 0542 is simply useable more often, and one can remove the centre column to reduce weight or take the camera down very low. For info, I use it with a Arca-Swiss P0. Again, top-notch performance in a lighweight package.

Aug 28, 2014 at 05:46 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

Sirui does seem to get reasonably good comments. But it's still kind of a new product line, in comparison to some of the others. You've already got the CT3442/Markins combo and that seems to be the kind of setup that might be many peoples' "as small/light as they will trust" sort of rig. Smaller/lighter tripods from newer companies that are also less expensive? Still kind of new territory and it's getting into the realm of specific applications and expectations. 5 sections are a lot of sections to twist and the last section is going to be pretty thin. The T025x does have the removable center post (off the top) so you can reduce that bit of potential stability impact. But it gets you a shorter tripod. The T1205 and RRS BH25? Without looking at all the specs, etc., it seems that it might be pushing back close to what you already have again or maybe not different enough to be worth going for? You could work up the T025x and give us some more user reports?

FWIW, I have a smallish/lightish tripod and going all out for the CT3442 might be my next step but going smaller/lighter, even with a mirrorless is going to spend a fair amount of money and I don't think buy that much in the way of results, for my needs/uses.

Aug 29, 2014 at 01:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

I use a Gitzo 0540 when I want to travel really light, but still have a 'real' tripod (as opposed to tabletop, or etc.); however, I usually take a Feisol CT-3441S tripod.

Aug 29, 2014 at 06:51 AM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

That Sirui tripd looks really nice. I've heard good stories about Mefoto too.

My lightest tripod combo weighs 1.4 kg (Velbon CF 540 +manfrotte 494) which is similar to your Feisol setup. I find this the absolute lowest weight if stability is an issue. I take it with me on wild camping trips in very demanding terrain and I never really felt the need to look for a lighter setup. If anything, I would love a slightly heavier and sturdier set of legs now! Not as heavy as my Gitzo 2220 explorer though :-)

Aug 29, 2014 at 07:48 AM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

I really like the looks of that OBEN CT 24314 4 section tripod. Love the weight as well. The height might bother me for an all in one but maybe I will just use that as a travel tripod.

I wonder how awkward the BH55 head would be on it though.

Ryan G

Sep 02, 2014 at 01:08 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

I have a Sirui T1204X with G10 ballhead. I have not used the tripod in any serious fasion with my D800 but did use it a bit with a D5100 and 16-85. I am happy with the overall quality and function of the tripod. I went with the 4 section model due to the larger diameter of the smallest leg section and it wasn't much heavier than the 5 section. Also, the slightly longer length wasn't a factor to strapping it to the outside of a pack.

I have not experienced any issues and felt it was worth the reasonable price. The ballhead is quite lousy though. Of note, IMO using the center column extended isn't really a viable option as vibrations are much worse. Using an L-bracket and placing the camera in portrait orientation with the column extended results in the worst shutter induced vibration (more rotational vibration about a vertical axis due to a lower torsional rigidity).

I wouldn't hesitate to get a pair of Sirui legs again, though I would pair it with a better ballhead (Markins Q3i) or similar.

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:05 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Smallest, Lightest, tripod recommendation

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm still going back & forth.

That Oben looks nice, but the folded length is nearly 18" still which is a lot more than the Sirui's 11.8", and the Sirui supports more weight, if the manufacturer's specs are to be believed.

This is not something I would leave set up unattended. Almost always I use a tripod with the lens strap still around my hand or neck just in case! I'm so paranoid as it is that I can probably get away with a less substantial tripod in a pinch haha.

Sep 05, 2014 at 12:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.